Thread: Trading Saturn V for Yamaha Tour Custom?

User Info Menu

Default Trading Saturn V for Yamaha Tour Custom?

I am thinking of trading my 6pc Saturn (no snare) V for a 6pc Yamaha TC all Maple. I bought my Saturn used for $1000 and it is in excellent condition, sounds great but has no way to mount rack toms to the BD unless I buy the mount separate which will cost me another $200?

The Yamaha is only 5 months old in butterscotch color and has the mount. Color is nice but the overall look of the kit seems rather bland?

I love the sound of the Saturn but not a huge fan of the color and I am pretty sure the Yamaha will sound great as well but I need to hear one in person 1st. Any thoughts/opinions?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trading Saturn V for Yamaha Tour Custom?

I can't picture the exact kit you are referring but I'm a huge Yamaha fan.. and I'd pretty much pick Yamaha over Saturn period.
    But that's my bias opinion lol
    So I say do it.

User Info Menu

I've got a used Gibraltar rack (front and side wings) in great shape if you ever decide to go that route.
    At least four extra clamps included.....................I used it to gig with an e-kit for years.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

The Yamaha bass drum mounts work so well. They are so simple and sturdy.

Just a quick glance at the Mapex BD mount and I can tell you the ‘L’ style arm isn’t going to work as well.

Yamaha makes amazing drums but their hardware is what really brings all their stuff to pro level equipment.

User Info Menu

I have two Yamaha kits (recording Custom & an old Rock Tour Custom) I also have a Saturn III. I always tend to mount my tom's off the Bass regardless of which kit I am using. Do have to say that the Saturn keeps surprising me. I will always be a die hard Yamaha fan though.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

$200 for a mount?
    If you like the Saturns, I’d just buy a Gibraltar 1” tube mount bracket and a double tom mount. It would require drilling a hole in the BD shell, but it would be a lot less cost...and 100% functional.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Depends on which kit you like best both in terms of sound and set up capability. With today's availability of mounting hardware options you should be able to make just about anything work at a reasonable price.

User Info Menu

Played a demo Yamaha TC kit, sounds really nice and maybe some better heads would help but honestly not quite as good as the Saturn.

This other guy has a Really gorgeous flawless 5pc Tama B/B (I know what am I thiking right?) in some nice exotic ocean fade lacquer paint and wants to trade for my 6pc Saturn, Dw copper snare, dw cymbal/rack tom stand, and $350 cash. I sooo want to do it but hesitant as I have not had good luck with Tama in the past and I have to drive an hour to do it.

I bought the Saturn and the Snare for $1100 I bought the stand for $200 (new) and the $350 cash puts me at about$1650 for his Tama which he has posted for $1800 cash. hmmmm she is gorgeous and the B/B kits have always sounded really good to me..hmmmmmmmm what to do??
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Doesn’t sound like you’re totally in love with the Yamaha kit. I would wait till you see something that really does it for you.

I think Ricardo hit it on the head. Even if you don’t want to use all of a three wing rack, you can use the uprights and one cross bar. That should allow you mount the toms anywhere over the kick you want.

Just out of curiosity, why can’t you get the mounting you want just by attaching the tom holder to boom stands?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Played a demo Yamaha TC kit, sounds really nice and maybe some better heads would help but honestly not quite as good as the Saturn.

This other guy has a Really gorgeous flawless 5pc Tama B/B (I know what am I thiking right?) in some nice exotic ocean fade lacquer paint and wants to trade for my 6pc Saturn, Dw copper snare, dw cymbal/rack tom stand, and $350 cash. I sooo want to do it but hesitant as I have not had good luck with Tama in the past and I have to drive an hour to do it.

I bought the Saturn and the Snare for $1100 I bought the stand for $200 (new) and the $350 cash puts me at about$1650 for his Tama which he has posted for $1800 cash. hmmmm she is gorgeous and the B/B kits have always sounded really good to me..hmmmmmmmm what to do??
    I definitely wouldn’t go for this deal. A brand new B/B kit goes for $2200 or less for a 10,12,14,16,22. And used ones should fall between $1000-$1500.

Offer your kit and the $350 and maybe the stand. But definitely hang on to that copper snare.
    Last edited by -bongos-; 12-18-2018 at 12:29 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    I definitely wouldn’t go for this deal. A brand new B/B kit goes for $2200 or less for a 10,12,14,16,22. And used ones should fall between $1000-$1500.

Offer your kit and the $350 and maybe the stand. But definitely hang on to that copper snare.
    I actually offered everything and $200 cash and he came back with the $350. I realize the finish is rare and all but I was thinking the same thing, in the end it is still just a B/B and goes for around the same as a Saturn Brand new, maybe a $200 more.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    Doesn’t sound like you’re totally in love with the Yamaha kit. I would wait till you see something that really does it for you.

I think Ricardo hit it on the head. Even if you don’t want to use all of a three wing rack, you can use the uprights and one cross bar. That should allow you mount the toms anywhere over the kick you want.

Just out of curiosity, why can’t you get the mounting you want just by attaching the tom holder to boom stands?
    I do not like having the toms that far left with the double rack/stand combo, nor do I really like having them each hang off of a separate cymbal stand as it makes packing and unpacking hardware and setting up more of a chore. I don't think I would want a rack either. I would like my 2 kits (practice and gigging) to be set up the same exact way so I can easily swap them out when the feeling arises. I love the Sonor Birch and would rather find something with the same setup in a different wood type/color scheme.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

MDK: Sounds like an itch you need to scratch.
    I guess it is nice to know that no matter what road you choose, you still have a quality kit.................Tama B/B, Saturn, Yammy TC.............we like them all.

You state that you have not had good luck with Tama in the past, and then tell us this Tama kit is gorgeous and sounds good too.
    BTW -- I just finished the Bruford autobiog and with all the stuff he has used over the years (acoustics, Simmons, Roto-tom kit, etc.), he hints that the best sounding shells he has ever heard just might be the Tama B/B.....................not that I care what celebrity drummers use or endorse...................but they are very nice drums.

Looks like you got a good deal on your snare/Saturns purchase -- why should he receive all the benefit from that ?
    In addition, I would assume that DW copper snare sounds super-good. (I have a bronze Gretsch snare to which I'm currently addicted).
    I just googled a 5 pc. Tama B/B and it is priced at $2200................so he is only giving up $400 (18%) ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    MDK: Sounds like an itch you need to scratch.
    I guess it is nice to know that no matter what road you choose, you still have a quality kit.................Tama B/B, Saturn, Yammy TC.............we like them all.

You state that you have not had good luck with Tama in the past, and then tell us this Tama kit is gorgeous and sounds good too.
    BTW -- I just finished the Bruford autobiog and with all the stuff he has used over the years (acoustics, Simmons, Roto-tom kit, etc.), he hints that the best sounding shells he has ever heard just might be the Tama B/B.....................not that I care what celebrity drummers use or endorse...................but they are very nice drums.

Looks like you got a good deal on your snare/Saturns purchase -- why should he receive all the benefit from that ?
    In addition, I would assume that DW copper snare sounds super-good. (I have a bronze Gretsch snare to which I'm currently addicted).
    I just googled a 5 pc. Tama B/B and it is priced at $2200................so he is only giving up $400 (18%) ?
    Thanks for the thoughts, not to rehash old complaints but my history with Tama has nothing to do with the looks or sound but more to do with the QA and customer service dept. but that was 5+ years ago now.

I did get a great deal on the Saturn and Snare and I agree why lose all that now? I just called him and backed out completely, not sure what I was thinking to be honest..LOL Plus I did not mention the Tama is used although in great condition.

At this point I am either going to buy a used Mount for the Saturns or a new one. Used one is off of a Older Saturn 3 and I think the lugs are different but if I can get it for less than half of a new one I will do it, otherwise I may just bite the bullet and buy a new Mount for $189...Yikes!!
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I did get a great deal on the Saturn and Snare and I agree why lose all that now? I just called him and backed out completely, not sure what I was thinking to be honest..LOL Plus I did not mention the Tama is used although in great condition.
    I can understand the desire for the B/B shells, for sure -- the sound is superb and the ocean finish is outstanding.
    I thought he was unwilling to bend as much as he expected you to bend.............to find the middle ground.
    The bottom line is this -- if you decide you just have to have those drums, you know where you can get your own NEW set.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian