Thread: Surprise Christmas Present to myself

User Info Menu

Default Surprise Christmas Present to myself

Re-arranging the basement and organizing a new drum room and lo and behold I discovered a Brand new Pork Pie 13 x 7 hip gig snare drum in an unopened box under a bunch of soft drum cases. I bought this in Feb. 2017...LOL Put it on bottom shelf and forgot all about it... HAHAHA Man old age has it's pro's for sure... ROTFLMAO!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MDK; 12-24-2018 at 09:25 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Surprise Christmas Present to myself

That rack is starting to fill up. That’s really funny that you totally forgot about it.

User Info Menu

Ha! That’s like putting on your coat from last winter and finding money in the pocket!

I have that exact same snare. Very well made and great sound. I use it on my practice kit.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Where did you get the rack? Would like to get one for my stuff..
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    That rack is starting to fill up. That’s really funny that you totally forgot about it.
    I cant believe I totally spaced on it...WOW..I am up to 5 snares now, have my dw copper on practice kit and my sonor birch at bass players house. need at least 2 more : )

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Ha! That’s like putting on your coat from last winter and finding money in the pocket!

I have that exact same snare. Very well made and great sound. I use it on my practice kit.
    LOL, what head do you use on it? I have not had time to play with it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Where did you get the rack? Would like to get one for my stuff..
    Hey slinky, I got it at GC, had a 15% off coupon..search "Snare Utility Rack Black"
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

one of my students gave me a snare drum for christmas... I almost cried.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    LOL, what head do you use on it? I have not had time to play with it
    Honestly, I’ll have to look. I gigged it a few times with the factory head, then I bought a new Ludwig Supralite 13x7 (on sale) and moved the Hip Pig to the practice kit. If I DID change the head, it most likely would have been to an Evans HD or HD Dry...depending on what I had laying around.

The Hip Pig is a great drum, but I seem to have settled on Ludwig Supralites. I have both a 14x8 and a 13x7. They are pretty thin shelled and really have a lot of low and mid-range body. I can tune them fairly tight, and they still seem to have a lower pitch that most steel snares...which is a nice feature for a 13” snare. Plus, I really dig the tube lugs.
    That said, I think the Hip Pig is a better made, higher quality drum. The Supralite just fits my applications better.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

A few years ago I bought a Black Magic 7X13..................love that size.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

13x7 has become my default size. If I ever need more, I go to my 14x8. So far, there’s only been a few outdoor gigs that I went to the 14. It’s hard to imagine 1” in diameter making a difference in comfort, but l seem to have less stress in my hips with a 13”. I like my snare pulled up close, so it’s more noticeable that someone who likes their snare farther out towards their knees.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I’ve never drifted towards the 13 inch snares before. I don’t have anything against them, just never had one in the collection. I like having a bunch of 14 inch heads that I can swap around to play the sounds.

But who knows, maybe a 13 should be the next one.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    13x7 has become my default size. If I ever need more, I go to my 14x8. So far, there’s only been a few outdoor gigs that I went to the 14. It’s hard to imagine 1” in diameter making a difference in comfort, but l seem to have less stress in my hips with a 13”. I like my snare pulled up close, so it’s more noticeable that someone who likes their snare farther out towards their knees.
    Out of my 17 snares, only 4 are 14" the rest are 13"lol.

User Info Menu

Yeah this is my 1st one and so far I am really digging it, still have the stock head with one small muffle dot on it and she has some really nice pop and rim shots sound better than most of my 14's. It has much less annoying overtone ring than alot of 14" steel snares I have tried in the past. I dont know if its because of shorter snare wires or if 1" less diameter makes that big a difference.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

"need at least 2 more"

I still have a Black Panther Machete that has about 1/2 hours use on it. I just don't like it. It sits downstairs doing nothing.

If interested PM me.

YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Holy crap!! That's SOOOO much better than finding a 5 dollar bill in the dryer!!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    HAHAHA Man old age has it's pro's for sure... ROTFLMAO!
    That too funny man! I've been looking around for a 13" snare...looks like you found mine?