Thread: Percussion in Heavy Metal

User Info Menu

Default Percussion in Heavy Metal

I'm in a heavyish band. We have a song and I want to play a Bongo sort of bit through out, Could people please tell me this wether this would work so on saturday I can show my guitarist this thread and prove him wrong! Thanks

User Info Menu

ever hear of sepultura? check out the roots bloody roots cd. brazilian tribal metal.

User Info Menu

Cool Percussion in Heavy Metal

Andy--another suggestion for ya-- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kwvIQ1DIMDU -- Gregorian did a remake of Led Zep's "Stairway to Heaven." Pay attention from 5:25 to 5:50 into the vid, where a black-clad biker type does a major bongo and conga solo...this cat really tears 'em up, man ... just let your guitar man watch the clip...

and remember too that Led Zep also had a bongo break in the middle of "Whole Lotta Love."

Good luck, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    ever hear of sepultura? check out the roots bloody roots cd. brazilian tribal metal.
    Good stuff!

When Sepultura broke up, a couple of the members formed a band called Soulfly. They kept the tribal feel and play a lot of hand percussion in their songs. If the members of your band don't think it will work, play some of the stuff from 1 of these 2 bands for them and show them it really does work!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

the way ive found to deal with gituarist like that is just play it one day and if you like it keep it if not dont.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

yeah soulfly is good, but i love igor from sepulturas drumming. he a totally cool guy too. i got to meet him and max in "93".

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Cool Percussion in Heavy metal

NOW try to tell me that percussion doesn't belong in heavy metal!

Great vid, mate--I've put that in my favorites!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Thanks everybody for the advice, I have a band practice in a couple of hours, this will really convince my guitarist

User Info Menu

"Sepultura" means "burial" in Latin lol
    Now I feel like a nerd. They have awesome stuff.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy