Thread: Video on my process/theory on Setting Up You Kit

User Info Menu

Default Video on my process/theory on Setting Up You Kit

I know we all have our own ways of setting up our kits.
    But I put this video together tonight because I've had so many new students and so many questions about set up.
    I might make another one now that this one is done with more ideas and thoughts in my head but for now here it is.

The Spaz theory of setting up your kit.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Video on my process/theory on Setting Up You Kit

Great vid! I like how you have your bass drum angled the same as the natural foot angle. If you see my newest pic on the “show us your drums” thread you’ll see I did the same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have been keeping my BD at a angle for over 50 years. I like my FT close and my leg would keep hitting it when I kept the BD straight across, so I started turning my BD in about 2" and it's been working great for over 50 years.

As for the FT, I set it even with the lower edge of my snare. My snare is tilted about 1" from left to right. I then lower the side of my FT across from my snare about 1/4 to 3/8th's of a ". Been doing that for decades.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Well done. Your students should appreciate that information.

User Info Menu

I like when he speeds it up. It's like watching the Keystone Drummer!!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I point my BD straight ahead (12 o’clock) so the logo and sound projects directly at the audience. However, I turn my body so I face about the 10 o’clock position. The net result is the same as angling the BD, except the entire kit centerline is angled to the left.
    My feet are toed out (poor genetics) pretty bad. With the BD straight, my heel would hang off the edge of the pedal. The side force would cause the BD to “walk”. Once I corrected this so the pedal was in line with my foot, the problems stopped.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I like it, I need to look at my set up. I am having bad left hip pain and not sure if related to drumming but I suspect it is even though I play BD with right foot I think I am leaning left.

I like the way you start your set up although I am not sure that will work with 2 up attached to the bass drum but I will play with it.

BTW I notice you use hydraulics on batter and reso's? Hmmm I am interested in how you cut a hole in the BD hydraulic reso and attached the kickport without oil leaking everywhere?
    Last edited by MDK; 12-30-2018 at 02:19 PM.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO