Thread: Paiste Alpha series

User Info Menu

Default Paiste Alpha series

I want to get rid of my 18 inch Alpha rock crash. When I bought it, my ears were still not developed enough to really appreciate what I wanted for cymbals. The sound of this is too thick and isnt bright enough. It has been downgraded now and almost off the set completely. I would rather hear the sound of the ZBT 16inch.

If I was to sell this on ebay, what do think would be a reasonable asking price? I bought it two years ago for 250 Australian dollars.

User Info Menu

I'd give you $80 US for it.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Thats not bad! Once I got a few different prices, I will average it out and that will be my asking price. I love Paiste...really love em but the Alpha is just not my sound. I have a set of 502's which I prefer the sound over than the Alpha and they are a lower end Paiste cymbal.

User Info Menu

I think the $80.00 that 32nd has offered is more than fair.
    Oddly enough, I have a 16" zbt plus crash that I was going to put on ebay for about $25.00.

Matt
    Matt G.
    Hitting my drums, like they owe me money!
    My Myspace page: http://www.myspace.com/fatdog1969
    Vegas Drummers: http://www.myspace.com/vegasdrummers
    I Proudly Play:
    PAISTE
    SONOR
    EVANS
    SILVERFOX
    SNAREHORSE

User Info Menu

I hear yea dude. I like my AXX's but the hihat and ride just quite arnt i want. I like em, but I want to really like them, for the price.

User Info Menu

Ok well I will start a selling price on ebay for 80 bux and see how it goes. Thanks for your input guys, I'll let you all know how it goes.

User Info Menu

1992-2005 alpha? (the cymbal looks more orange, and has a square, triangle, and circle)

or the 2006-present alpha? (kinda looks like a triangle, the instrument)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ch33zz View Post
    1992-2005 alpha? (the cymbal looks more orange, and has a square, triangle, and circle)

or the 2006-present alpha? (kinda looks like a triangle, the instrument)

the first one, 1992 - 2005

User Info Menu

ah, yes, the 2006-present ones are much better IMO

User Info Menu

The earlier Alpha's (Signature style lathing) seem to blend better with higher grade Paiste's IMO. They just have a "fullness" that I can not find in the newer line. I believe they created the Alpha's at the time for people that wanted the look of the Signatures without the price tag, now that the Rude series has made a tremendous come back they've redesigned the Alpha's to offer intermediate players the look and sound of a more classic "rock" style of cymbal. A very bad decision by Paiste if you ask me! Also, the older ones were manufactured in Switzerland along side the pro lines opposed to the newer ones manufactured in Germany.

User Info Menu

You are absolutely right, negative. I have been using the older Alpha cymbals for a while now and I just got both Signature and 2002 series cymbals and they all blend together very well. I did'nt really like the redesigning of the Alpha line, even though they do offer a lot more variations than they did before, but I don't feel that the quality is the same as the older ones.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

that is interesting...maybe i should hold on to mine considering Paiste is the way I will be going when eventually upgrading my cymbals

User Info Menu

That's definately a good decision, man. I don't think you can go too wrong with Paiste.

User Info Menu

I just sold my "Swiss" Alpha 18" china to a friend of mine a couple days ago(he has all Alpha's and needed a china). Here's a link to my son's talent show, so anyone interested can hear the Old Alpha quality combined with the Signature series.
    Last edited by negativeattitude; 09-12-2011 at 09:58 AM.

User Info Menu

Hey man, your son didn't do too bad on that solo. You could definately tell he was nervous as he was focusing more on his tricks than playing. Good though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by negativeattitude View Post
    I just sold my "Swiss" Alpha 18" china to a friend of mine a couple days ago(he has all Alpha's and needed a china). Here's a link to my son's talent show, so anyone interested can hear the Old Alpha quality combined with the Signature series. Please overlook the mistakes(he had never played in front of people and had very little time to prepare).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UT_NdOTzRLQ
    Great going to your son negative....he really warmed up towards the end of that solo. I tell ya, those girls out there screamed the place down for him lol.

So back to the cymbals, they sounded beautiful, what sizes and models exactly did he have set up there? They certainly blended in nicely and sound great recorded. For some reason, that is not the sound I get out of my 18inch rock alpha crash.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Yeah, he likes the twirling stuff. Checking that video out now........I kind of wish I hadn't sold that china!
    Yeah, that did sound nice..just in case you missed my earlier post...what sizes etc did he play with?

User Info Menu

Hey livewire, what other cymbals(series, brand) do you play along with your Alpha?

User Info Menu

Well they sounded beautiful....how much would I expect to pay for a set of cymbals like that, including hi-hats and China? What would be a resonable purchase price do you think?

User Info Menu

Hey livewire, what other cymbals(series, brand) do you play along with your Alpha?
    Well, this may be the problem, I have 502's 16 inch 20 inch ride and 14 inch hi-hats..I got 14 inch ZBT hi-hat also set up and a 16inch ZBT crash...I might have the wrong mix up there I think?? I have actually just put the ZBT crash up since I took the Alpha down

User Info Menu

The 14" Power Hats go for about $400, if you wanted a Sig China they're about $380 for a good one.