Thread: Which tom should I use?

User Info Menu

Default Which tom should I use?

I have recently bought an old Pearl drums with intention to use the for recording. The kit has a small tom(not sure the size but smaller than the other 2), 12" tom, 13" tom, 16" floor tom and kick. I would like to record it, but I have only 2 MD421s mics. So which tom would pair best with the 16" floor tom?

Excuse me if this sounds a bit silly to ask, but I have very limited experience with drums!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which tom should I use?

I play a 12 up 16 down set, so thats my answer. Either the 12 or 13 will work. Of those two you should honestly use the one that sounds best to you.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

If the other tom is a 10", use the 10&12 inch.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Either the 12 or 13 will work. Of those two you should honestly use the one that sounds best to you.
    +1

User Info Menu

Assuming the “small” tom is 10”, I would use either the 12” or 13” with the 16” FT. Whichever sounds good to you. You can play with the tuning on each as well. Typically, with only 2 toms, you tune them to a 4th or 5th interval. Personally, I prefer a 4th....but there are no rules other than “if it sounds good, it is good”.

You may also consider going with the 10” and 13”. The kit I gig with the most is a “bop” kit with a 10” rack tom and 13” FT. Honestly, it sounds great and cuts through better. Who knows, it may actually record better(?).
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If it helps, the kit is a Pearl MLX maple. it has a longs 'boing' sound and a lot of sustain with lower attack.

User Info Menu

Wonderful kits the MLX & were the top line kit for Pearl at the time. Still professional grade nowadays. Had one till a couple of years ago. With decent heads (Remo Emperor/Ambassador or Evans G2/G1) it will sound amazing. Depends on what you want to play what size will sound best. Rock then 12 or 13 with 16, lighter music, 10 & 13 or 12 & 16.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Wonderful kits the MLX & were the top line kit for Pearl at the time. Still professional grade nowadays. Had one till a couple of years ago. With decent heads (Remo Emperor/Ambassador or Evans G2/G1) it will sound amazing. Depends on what you want to play what size will sound best. Rock then 12 or 13 with 16, lighter music, 10 & 13 or 12 & 16.
    I'm into pop, blues and rock. I have ambassador coated batter heads and clear as resonant heads. But I do not have for the small one yet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Assuming the “small” tom is 10”, I would use either the 12” or 13” with the 16” FT. Whichever sounds good to you. You can play with the tuning on each as well. Typically, with only 2 toms, you tune them to a 4th or 5th interval. Personally, I prefer a 4th....but there are no rules other than “if it sounds good, it is good”.

You may also consider going with the 10” and 13”. The kit I gig with the most is a “bop” kit with a 10” rack tom and 13” FT. Honestly, it sounds great and cuts through better. Who knows, it may actually record better(?).
    At the moment I have them tuned:
    12" to F#
    13" to D
    14" to E (snare)
    16" to A

Because I tuned them with a drum dial to the same tension. Am I doing this wrong?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ex351d View Post
    At the moment I have them tuned:
    12" to F#
    13" to D
    14" to E (snare)
    16" to A

Because I tuned them with a drum dial to the same tension. Am I doing this wrong?
    Knackers to tuning them to notes. Tune them till you think they sound good
    The Varukers.

drumdude21 Guest

13" and 16"!

User Info Menu

I feel 13 16 is more tonally even or offset ..

but the the 12 isn't that far off so either of those i think would work good
    Last edited by slinky; 01-16-2019 at 07:35 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

I use 12 & 16
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

13, & 16