Thread: Yamaha HW3 Advanced Lightweight Hardware Pack Review

User Info Menu

Default Yamaha HW3 Advanced Lightweight Hardware Pack Review

Hey guys, Just received my Hardware pack and made a few videos while setting it up today. I will update this thread as I go along. 1st gig with this set will be tomorrow night. Here are a few video's..

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Yamaha HW3 Advanced Lightweight Hardware Pack Review

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Very nice! Best thing I ever did was go to my DW lightweight hardware. The difference in weight is huge when you’re lugging your hardware case out of the car at 4:00am after almost 8hrs of loading, unloading, setting up, playing, tearing down, loading and finally unloading!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Yeah I have a feeling my back and shoulders are really going to appreciate this new hardware come tomorrow night.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Initial thoughts after 1st gig, with all the new hardware and some of the old like 1 cymbal stand, sonor rack mount, floor tom legs, etc the one bag is still kind of heavy. Say it went from 75lbs to 50 lbs. I may still end up using 2 bags which is sort of disappointing for the money I spent on these stands. They held up perfectly like any other hardware for the entire gig with no issues. I guess the test from here will be longevity, I have a 1 yr warranty but I may look to extend that to 2 years.

The lack of a boom arm is somewhat still disappointing, Like I said I made it work but your positioning is very limited if your used to a boom arm or 2. Over all it is very good hardware but I would recommend you wait till they come out with a more advanced version. Not 100% sure yet but I may be sending it back and getting single braced hardware and a 2nd bag for about 2/3 of the price of this hardware pack.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

I want to order those so bad!!!
    They look awesome and are ridiculously light

User Info Menu

Great review! Looks like a great concept, but I guess you gotta weigh the pro's and con's, as far as what you're sacrificing for the weight. I don't know if I could get by without boom stands. As far as identifying marks that you mentioned in the first video, back when I was gigging, I used a Sharpie to draw a ring around the telescoping parts of the stands so I could quickly set them up at the same height every time I took them out of the bag. Just a thought. But If you may be returning them, you might want to avoid permanent marker for now.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Initial thoughts after 1st gig, with all the new hardware and some of the old like 1 cymbal stand, sonor rack mount, floor tom legs, etc the one bag is still kind of heavy. Say it went from 75lbs to 50 lbs. I may still end up using 2 bags which is sort of disappointing for the money I spent on these stands. They held up perfectly like any other hardware for the entire gig with no issues. I guess the test from here will be longevity, I have a 1 yr warranty but I may look to extend that to 2 years.

The lack of a boom arm is somewhat still disappointing, Like I said I made it work but your positioning is very limited if your used to a boom arm or 2. Over all it is very good hardware but I would recommend you wait till they come out with a more advanced version. Not 100% sure yet but I may be sending it back and getting single braced hardware and a 2nd bag for about 2/3 of the price of this hardware pack.
    Thanks for the review and also how it was when actually gigging with these stands. You, bish and spaz are some of the biggest fans of Yamaha in here and I can see why but without a few boom stands in the mix, I find it a compromise.