Thread: Hardware bag alternative

User Info Menu

Default Hardware bag alternative

After using it for the last 3 gigs, I’m comfortable with recommending this as an alternative to traditional hardware bags;
    The Gator Frameworks Microphone Stand Bag
    501D663E-9F7D-418C-B0F7-F025A851C97D.jpeg
    1D36E6C3-3AF3-41A6-9D17-E99EFAA97477.jpg

I had been using a Humes & Berg Seeker with wheels. It’s a great bag...but there were 3 issues that annoyed me;

1) I had to either collapse or disassemble my cymbal & hi-hat stands to fit them in the bag
    2) unless I wrapped each stand in a towel or blanket, they would rub on each other. I would literally find very fine silvery powder in the bottom of the bag. It was only a matter of time until the plastic handles on my new DW stands would get caught on each other and break.
    3) I would have to get down on my knees in front of the bag and carefully pack each piece. I’m too old and fat to enjoy that.

As you can see, the Gator mic bag has 6 individual compartments. One end unzips...and the empty bag will actually stand up on it’s own. It’s also plenty long; long enough that it will easily hold my stands and hi-hat stand without collapsing them.
    Here’s how easy it is now; I set the empty bag on end, unzip the lid and flop it over the side. I grab each stand, fold the legs up, and just drop it down in the bag...this includes the hi-hat stand, throne base and snare stand. Zip the lid up, and I’m DONE! It literally takes me less than a minute to pack up my hardware now. AND....I don’t even have to bend over!
    I can now use a small duffle bag to hold my throne seat, pedal, stick bag and rail mount.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hardware bag alternative

Hmmmm interesting.. I will look into that for sure, thanks for the review.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

That is an interesting idea thanks

User Info Menu

We’ll see how long it lasts. Mic stands are pretty light in general, so it’s not designed for a ton of weight. Keep in mind that I use all DW 6000 lightweight stands. Some Larger and heavier stands may not even fit in the compartments, but even my double braced heavy duty Mapex stand fits.

I bought it on clearance for around $40 at a local store. I think regular price is only around $60-$70. I intended to use it for our mic stands, but then decided to give it a try. Obviously, it’s probably not for those of us with big kits that gig constantly. But, those of us with small, simple setups that gig a couple times per month...it could be a nice option.
    The overall design works excellent. The individual compartments and self-supporting design are fantastic.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Nice review. Looks pretty sturdy!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerjay56 View Post
    Great suggestion! I picked up the Gator bag for $39.00. Lite, built very well and has 6 sections. Holds 3 cymbal stands, hh stand, snare stand and floor tom legs with no need to take any apart. I also use the DW light weight cymbal stands so the bag loaded up is easy to carry. Thanks for recommending it.
    That’s awesome. Mine is still fairly heavy, since my Gibraltar throne base and snare stand are very heavy. Those 2 alone weigh as much or more than my 3 DW cymbal stands and DW hi-hat stand put together. So far, the Gator mic stand bag has held up, but it’s only been 3 or 4 gigs. I really love it...it’s immensely easier to pack than a regular hardware bag and the individual compartments offer outstanding protection. Not having to bend over or get down on my knees to pack a hardware bag is a huge plus as well.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

yeah I couldn't get away with that. But it is annoying for sure

User Info Menu

The individual compartments sounds good to me, I like the idea of the stands being protected from each other. I have tried several different types of cases for hardware. I started with the old trap case I used over 35 years ago, but it was extremely heavy, and I had to completely collapse and in some cases separate the sections of stands, which made setup and tear down take longer. Then I tried a duffel type hardware bag, but it was still heavy, and without wheels, very unwieldy. From there I got an SKB golf bag hard case, which was good because I could keep all stands fully extended, and had wheels, but had to be laid flat to open, which took up a lot of floor space when setting up. It was also very big and heavy. After that I got a Gator hardware cart, which can be loaded while upright and was easy to wheel around, but was surprisingly heavy when loaded. The latest thing, which I found for $18 dollars in a thrift store, is a slightly smaller golf bag hard case. What's good about this is the top half of it comes off, so when I open it, all my hardware is easily accessible and it stands up vertically. It's still heavy, but I'm using the bare minimum amount of hardware so there's nothing I can do about that. It has wheels as well, and it takes up a little less space. I've used it several times, and it's working well, but I'm always on the look out for a better solution. I'm keeping the Gator cart in case I decide to go back to it, but I've listed the SKB Golf case for sale.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    The individual compartments sounds good to me, I like the idea of the stands being protected from each other. I have tried several different types of cases for hardware. I started with the old trap case I used over 35 years ago, but it was extremely heavy, and I had to completely collapse and in some cases separate the sections of stands, which made setup and tear down take longer. Then I tried a duffel type hardware bag, but it was still heavy, and without wheels, very unwieldy. From there I got an SKB golf bag hard case, which was good because I could keep all stands fully extended, and had wheels, but had to be laid flat to open, which took up a lot of floor space when setting up. It was also very big and heavy. After that I got a Gator hardware cart, which can be loaded while upright and was easy to wheel around, but was surprisingly heavy when loaded. The latest thing, which I found for $18 dollars in a thrift store, is a slightly smaller golf bag hard case. What's good about this is the top half of it comes off, so when I open it, all my hardware is easily accessible and it stands up vertically. It's still heavy, but I'm using the bare minimum amount of hardware so there's nothing I can do about that. It has wheels as well, and it takes up a little less space. I've used it several times, and it's working well, but I'm always on the look out for a better solution. I'm keeping the Gator cart in case I decide to go back to it, but I've listed the SKB Golf case for sale.
    I found the same issues you listed in your post about wanting individual compartments to protect the stands from each other.

I invested in 2 SKB hardware cases but after a few gigs, I noticed dents in the cymbal stands tubes.

The big utility box can hold a ton of gear but it's too heavy to lift comfortably without needing some help.

The thinner TSA "approved" case has straps but are totally useless to keep the stands from shifting.

Both can fit rather snug in the trunk of a small 4 door import.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I found the same issues you listed in your post about wanting individual compartments to protect the stands from each other.

I invested in 2 SKB hardware cases but after a few gigs, I noticed dents in the cymbal stands tubes.

The big utility box can hold a ton of gear but it's too heavy to lift comfortably without needing some help.

The thinner TSA "approved" case has straps but are totally useless to keep the stands from shifting.

Both can fit rather snug in the trunk of a small 4 door import.

I tried wrapping my stands in small blankets, but that turned out to be so teadious and time consuming it drove me crazy. The last thing I want to do after a 4hr gig is get down on my knees on the floor and roll up stands like a burrito and stuff them in a bag. LOL. Now, I literally stand beside the case, unzip the top, pick up a stand, fold the legs in and drop it down into the case. Done in 90 seconds and no damage to the stands. Set-up is just as easy. No more finding broken handles, metal shavings or loose setscrews. It took 90% of the anxiety out of tear-down.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I tried wrapping my stands in small blankets, but that turned out to be so teadious and time consuming it drove me crazy. The last thing I want to do after a 4hr gig is get down on my knees on the floor and roll up stands like a burrito and stuff them in a bag. LOL. Now, I literally stand beside the case, unzip the top, pick up a stand, fold the legs in and drop it down into the case. Done in 90 seconds and no damage to the stands. Set-up is just as easy. No more finding broken handles, metal shavings or loose setscrews. It took 90% of the anxiety out of tear-down.
    Going off of your review, I'm going to invest in a few of those cases before I start gigging again. Thanks for taking the time to post your findings.

User Info Menu

Nice idea.

User Info Menu

I'm loving the Gator bag. I'm in serious need of a new hardware bag/case. My Protection Racket 1st gen hardware bag (the "body bag") I have now is just awful. It's massive but has no solid bottom or wheels so it is a bigger to move alone.

Will the Gator mic case take a standard 3 leg hi hat stand?

User Info Menu

I'm surprised it'll hold a fully erect hi-hat stand. That's been my nemesis all these years having to disassemble it.

I've been using the SKB like in the Late8 picture, on the right. I have found a way to isolate the stands from each other. I have a very large wool blanket, (almost looks Army) that I have on the bottom of the case when laid flat. I put in a couple stands then fold it back over the top, lay a couple more stands, fold the blanket back and repeat until I'm out of hardware. I do have to bend over though....grrrr.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ProjeKtWEREWOLF View Post
    I'm loving the Gator bag. I'm in serious need of a new hardware bag/case. My Protection Racket 1st gen hardware bag (the "body bag") I have now is just awful. It's massive but has no solid bottom or wheels so it is a bigger to move alone.

Will the Gator mic case take a standard 3 leg hi hat stand?
    Yes...but kinda depends on the stand. I have a DW 6000 hi-hat stand, and it easily holds it. BUT, it’s possible that a real bulky/heavy-duty stand may not fit....I’ve never tried it with anything but my DW lightweight stuff. Keep in mind, it’s not designed to hold a lot of weight, so a full assortment of heavy hardware stands may pose an issue. For 2 lightweight cymbal stands, 1 lightweight hi-hat, 1 regular snare stand and 1 heavy (Gibraltar) throne base, it’s been doing fine for me. It’s still more weight than I care to lug around, so I’m planning on switching to a DW Ultralight snare stand and moving the throne to it’s own case.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'm surprised it'll hold a fully erect hi-hat stand. That's been my nemesis all these years having to disassemble it.

I've been using the SKB like in the Late8 picture, on the right. I have found a way to isolate the stands from each other. I have a very large wool blanket, (almost looks Army) that I have on the bottom of the case when laid flat. I put in a couple stands then fold it back over the top, lay a couple more stands, fold the blanket back and repeat until I'm out of hardware. I do have to bend over though....grrrr.

That’s exactly what I used to do with my H&B rolling bag (the blanket thing). It worked, but I hated getting down on my knees after a gig to pack it. Also the time it took. That said, it would have been easier with a hard shell case.

As far as the hi-hat, it won’t quite hold it I assembled. Technically it WILL, but the center rod makes the lid poke out about 1/2”. I don’t want to risk poking a hole in the bag during transport, so I unscrew and remove the center pull rod, but it’s super easy to do on my DW 6000. No other dis-assembly is required.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 05-31-2019 at 09:19 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Yes...but kinda depends on the stand. I have a DW 6000 hi-hat stand, and it easily holds it. BUT, it’s possible that a real bulky/heavy-duty stand may not fit....I’ve never tried it with anything but my DW lightweight stuff. Keep in mind, it’s not designed to hold a lot of weight, so a full assortment of heavy hardware stands may pose an issue. For 2 lightweight cymbal stands, 1 lightweight hi-hat, 1 regular snare stand and 1 heavy (Gibraltar) throne base, it’s been doing fine for me. It’s still more weight than I care to lug around, so I’m planning on switching to a DW Ultralight snare stand and moving the throne to it’s own case.
    It's a Yamaha hi hat stand.
    However, it's a bit of a moot point. I can't find any of these online in the UK. �� Surely there are alternatives?!

Gravity makes a similar product, and the 3 stand version of the Gator is readily available in the UK. Thomann also has other versions such as the Millennium brand.
    Last edited by ProjeKtWEREWOLF; 06-01-2019 at 10:57 AM.

User Info Menu

I guess now that this has become a thing, why aren't more drum case makers accounting for fully extended hi-hat capable carry cases?

Your thoughts and

GO
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have 2 x Hardcase 36" for all of my stands for both kits. I also use a Millennium version of the above cylindrical one for my DW rack. Never thought of using it for stands. May give it a try when I am using them
    The Varukers.