User Info Menu

Default Re: Slingerland

Do Pork Pie drums own Slingerland now?

User Info Menu

I can't imagine that at all

User Info Menu

According to another Slingerland thread the name, intellectual, and maybe some real, property is owned by Gibson, and I guess by whoever or whatever conglomerate owns the Gibson name.

User Info Menu

I was just wondering because I was at Sam Ash yesterday and the person that is head of the drum dept. told me. It's in the Pork Pie neighborhood, that's all, just wondering.

User Info Menu

I’m wondering if someone will pick up the name and try to revive the brand. There is a long history, and a lot of famous drummers that played Slingerland, but that was a long time ago.

I think the brand would have the most relevance in the jazz world, but that space is already very crowded. Gretsch, Ludwig, Yamaha, and even Tama really own the category now.

Unfortunately, the nostalgia of the brand probably won’t translate into sales to the younger consumers.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    I’m wondering if someone will pick up the name and try to revive the brand. There is a long history, and a lot of famous drummers that played Slingerland, but that was a long time ago.

I think the brand would have the most relevance in the jazz world, but that space is already very crowded. Gretsch, Ludwig, Yamaha, and even Tama really own the category now.

Unfortunately, the nostalgia of the brand probably won’t translate into sales to the younger consumers.
    Agreed. They’d have to do something pretty spectacular to compete with the big brands. I doubt anything will happen. And if it does, it won’t be around long.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Agreed. They’d have to do something pretty spectacular to compete with the big brands. I doubt anything will happen. And if it does, it won’t be around long.
    You guys are totally right! I was just say'in that earlier today. I have my 1980 Slings!. . . .I'm happy! lol.DSC01716.jpg

User Info Menu

According to Wikipedia, Gibson owns Slingerland drums.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slingerland_Drum_Company

User Info Menu

Gipson does own Slingerland. I once sent them a nasty email thanking them for how well they helped Slingerland die out. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

I would get advertising space on all the drum mags and put pics of Buddy, Gene, Louie, Shawn, and other "legends" of drumming because virtually all of them played Slingerland drums at 1 time or the other.

I would say that this is where the Masters started. If I'm going to go out, I'd rather go out with a bang, not a whimper.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Bernie Stone of Stone custom Drums in Indiana bought all the slingerland equipment.

Bernie builds a series of shells he calls, "American Classic". Within this series is a reinforced 3-ply shell ("Chicago Vintage") and a 5-ply non-reinforced shell ("Niles Vintage"), both based on the same layups that Slingerland used.
    “I did not trip and fall. I attacked the floor and I believe I am winning.”