Thread: well i took your guys advice

User Info Menu

Default well i took your guys advice

im goinig to send back my defective ddrum kit but now since im sending this back i need to know what you recomend one of the main things im looking for is a strong vintage sounding kit can you help me out

User Info Menu

Roachmon, when you say "vintage sounding" I think of a '70's rock sound? What does "vintage" mean to you? I'm just thinking about whether you're looking for a standard rock type of kit, or something like my Gretsch Catalina kit that has the extra 16X16 floor tom so that it can cover a wide range of sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

what i mean by vintage sounding is like john bonham, keith moon, gene krupa, buddy rich, drums that sound similar to there drums

User Info Menu

Buy a vintage kit with rounded over bearing edges and you will get the tone you are looking for. Or take a new kit and a large flat piece of glass and get some spray adheisive and glue sheets of sand paper evenly with no gaps until you cover the glass. Make sure the glass piece is large enough to cover your bass drum. After you glue the sand paper to the glass place it on an even flat surface (Large table or flat cement) take each drum and remove all of the hardware, and then take the bare shell and rotate it slowly and with even pressure and flat on the glass, doing this will flatten your edges slightly, and then hand finish to round over the edge and you will get the desired sound. Warm and vintage sounding. most new drum have 45 degree or greater edges to improve the attack. They are made sharp on purpose The older drums were punchy sounding but lacked slightly in definition. That is why newer drums have the sharper edges. I hope all of this made since to eveyone, if it didn't and someone is interested in doing it. I will try to explain the idea more clearly.

User Info Menu

BTD, how would your technique compare to the sound you might get with a newer kit and some Remo Pinstripes, or Evans EC heads?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

In my opinion putting thicker two ply heads on you get a more controlled, muffled sound. (Think of 70s Eagles) With the round over edges you still get a good amount of resonance but it is warmer sounding so i'm told. i have never tried this technique myself. I just learned about it from a drum tech friend of mine who has performed it customers kits that are trying to reach that vintage sound. I am also of the opinion that it is the newer sharper edges on the newer drums, are driving a large part of the vintage market. Older players are looking for the sound they are used too. I personally prefer my kits sound in contrast to the ludwig kit I had in the late 70s and 80s. I think my kit sounds light years ahead of the older kits. But there seems to be a lot people looking for the retro sound. So I say go for the sound you want and play till you die!

User Info Menu

Bonham had really big drums as well, very deep shells, I think his rack tom started at a 13x10, so if you want that huge vintage sound, buy big toms, deep snare drum, and a 24x16 kick, and you will have Bonhams kit, I believe he used a maple kit and of course his acrylic kit, i also believe he used remo pinstripe heads as well, this might not be 100% accurate, bit I think it is.

here is his exact specs

1. Pre Led Zeppelin Kit (?-'68), Ludwig Super Classic Green Sparkle
    * Bass Drum "22x14"
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Rack Tom 13"x9"
    * Supraphonic Snare 14"x5"
    2. Led Zeppelin Kit ('68/Tour U.S.A), Ludwig Black Diamond Pearl
    * Bass Drum 24"x14"
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Floor Tom 18"x16"
    * Rack Tom 13"x9"
    * Snare 20's/30's COB Tube Lug
    3. Ludwig Representation kit, Ludwig Thermo Gloss Natural Maple (1969-'70)[6]
    * Bass Drum 26"x14"
    * Tom 14"x12" Mounted on a snare stand
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Floor Tom 18"x16"
    * 14"x6.5" Chrome Supraphonic 402 Series Snare
    * Twin Congas Ludwig 12"
    * Cowbell Ludwig Gold Tone
    4. Studio and live Kit ('70 - '73), Ludwig Green Sparkle
    * Bass Drum 26"x14"
    * Rack Tom 14"x10"
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Floor Tom 18"x16"
    * Ludwig 29" Machine Timpani (1972+)
    * Ludwig 32" Universal Timpani (1972+)
    5. The Song Remains The Same Kit ('73), Ludwig Amber Vistalite[7]
    * Bass Drum 26"x14"
    * Rack Tom 14"x10"
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Floor Tom 18"x16"
    * Floor Tom 20"x16"
    * Ludwig 29" Timpani
    * Ludwig 30" Timpani
    6. Studio Kit ('75) Ludwig Sparkle Silver Finish
    * Bass Drum 26"x14"
    * Rack Tom 15"x12"
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Floor Tom 18"x16"
    * Ludwig 29" Timpani
    * Ludwig 30" Timpani
    7. Final Kit ('77-'80), Ludwig Stainless Steel
    * Bass Drum 26"x14"
    * Tom 15"x 12" (Mounted on Bass Drum)
    * Floor Tom 16"x16"
    * Floor Tom 18"x16"

[edit] Cymbals

John Bonham played Paiste cymbals. He used Paiste Giant Beat cymbals until 1975. The Paiste Endorsement Agreement shows he experimented with cymbals including the 602 series before changing to a complete set of what is now the 2002 series in '75, which he used for the rest of his career. His set up (of both the Giant Beat's and 2002's) consisted of:

* 15" Paiste 2002 Sound Edge Hi-Hat
    * 18" Paiste 2002 Crash (on left)
    * 20" Paiste 2002 Medium Crash
    * 24" Paiste 2002 Ride
    * Sometimes a 20" Paiste 2002 Ride
    * 38" Paiste Symphonic Gong

Despite what the Paiste Endorsement Agreement reads he used 2002s live from about 1973 on. This is visible in the 1973 Song Remains the Same concert footage.

[edit] Drum Heads

For his wood drums, Bonham always used Remo coated emperors (or Ludwig equivalent) on all of his batter heads, while using coated ambassadors on the resonant head, and the batter head was always tuned medium-tight, (almost jazz like) and the resonate head was always tuned way up, for a nice full, round sound. He never put pillows or other laundry in the Bass drum and he only used a felt strip on the batter side from time to time. The Bass drum head was also tuned a lot higher than one would think. On the vistalites he used Remo CS black dots on the batter side of the toms and clear ambassadors on the resonate side. The snare always had a coated emperor on the batter side and an ambassador or a diplomat on the snare side.

User Info Menu

You are correct PDP Player, and I should have mentioned the size of the shells make a difference as well. Certainly Bonhams shells were large. I had a 26" bass drum as well on my Ludwig kit and it was power depth as well which in 1980 was 16" and it had double spurs fron and back of the bass drum. The thing was simply a monster. It was fun to play. My bandmates always said that my kit looked like world war three. That was all the rage in the day though. The huge kits were like the minimulist kits of today. It is hard to believe that drum kits go in and out of fashion almost like sunglasses or handbags. I think that drums are the only musical instuments that do this. I have never really see guitars go in and out of fashion. Now I play what I like and don't bother with what is popular or what the polular set up is. (I got off of topic a little sorry.) Anyway I gree with you PDP all of the things that we both have posted play a huge part in the drum sounds of that era.

User Info Menu

I would dig to have a kit like this, simply for the power.

User Info Menu

You know PDP I was thinking about your last post, that you would love to have a kit like this just simply for the power, it got me to thinking about a current situation that I am in. I play in classic Rock band and we rehearse at our keyboardists house. I play a Tama Rockstar kit there that is the keyboardists sons, it is a standard kit with 12x12 13x13 16x16 power toms and I believe a 16x22 bass drum. I have never really paid all that much attention to it. I would guess it is an older model Rockstar kit so the shells are made of I would say probably Luan (Phillapine Mahogany). Anyway my point is that I have rehearsed on that kit for months and when we gig. I have numurous commits by my band mates about how much more powerful and of course better sounding my PDP LX kit sounds in comparison. They are just louder. Now I realize that the shell material plays a part in this. maple verses Luan. But with the square size toms in power depths, that is the way they were marketed in the eighties that the squre size toms were better able to project over amplified music. I don't know I would argue that after having first hand experience. There is no doubt that the bass drums would differ in that my LX Bass drum is 2 inches deeper so that isn't a fair comparison, but the toms on my kit are fussion sizes and they are shallower and yet they are much richer and powererful sounding over the Tamas toms. It makes me think about all of the marketing hype though. Is it valid, It would be interesting to take two maple kits in the sizes I have described and see really if the huge sizes of bonhams kit really do make that much difference. or with good micing and EQ If a standard size kit could be made to sound just as big.
    Last edited by backtodrum; 12-13-2007 at 05:33 PM. Reason: I forgot to mention that the drums all have identical heads. Both my kit and the Tama's

User Info Menu

Very interesting backtodrum, very interesting indeed.

User Info Menu

Default nevermind

just found out today that they arent going to refund my money they are just going to give me a new kit all around

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by roachmon View Post
    just found out today that they arent going to refund my money they are just going to give me a new kit all around
    I hope every thing worksout in your favor roachmon!