Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Junk Car Collection (with PIcs)

User Info Menu

Default My Junk Car Collection (with PIcs)

Back in late October, a 20’x60’ section of roof on a 9600 square foot building that my brothers and I own collapsed. We made the decision to sell the property “as is” (and for next to nothing) to a local investor who would fix it. In exchange for the “low” price, the investor agreed to grant us as much time as needed (within reason) to remove our stuff from the premesis. That’s a HUGE bonus, considering there were 13 vehicles, approx 60 engines, 2 trailer loads of misc. engine parts, transmissions, car parts, a pickup load of tools, a 10’ long X 4000Lb turning lathe and enough shop equipment to start your own auto repair shop.

We’ve been working at it almost every weekend since Thanksgiving. At this time, we’re probably 50% done. We’re taking the opportunity to sort through everything we’ve accumulated (or more accurately, hoarded) and sell or scrap as much as possible. We’re just too old to make use of most of it.

I thought I would post pics of the stuff that’s left.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Junk Car Collection (with PIcs)

First up is our most sentimental item. This pickup was built by our Dad back in the mid-1950’s after his return from Korea. He assembled it from parts he had, and drove it as his “farm truck” and daily driver until 1969. At that time, he was able to buy a brand-new 1968 Ford F100 Ranger. He parked this in the barn and declined numerous offers to sell it. It’s a ‘33 Ford cab with ‘36 Ford car front fenders and headlights. It’s mounted on a ‘40 Ford car chassis (which had hydraulic brakes and solid steel wheels). The engine is a ‘50 Mercury flathead V8. From what I can decipher, the ‘49-‘53 Mercury engines were the most desirable. They had a 4” stroke crank and were 255 CID. They also had individual exhaust manifolds. I believe they were rated at 110hp. We’re not sure what transmission it has.

*appearantly, I’m out of high speed data on my phone and pics won’t load....

Stay tuned. I’ll get them posted as soon as I can!
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

This is my kind of thing. Can’t wait to see the pics!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    This is my kind of thing. Can’t wait to see the pics!
    me too!

User Info Menu

Me 3
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

-Brian

User Info Menu

You can see the “grain door” in the tailgate, LOL. Farmers used to haul grain to town in their pickups...back when combines were small. Also, I believe it’s a Chevrolet box.
    87B4CC86-8C75-4BDC-AC42-75D8D2E36A30.jpg
    283B9E16-42C5-4E11-BD28-2911B41D41ED.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

This “gem” was my only mode of transportation through half of Highschool and college. It’s a ‘74 Mustang II body mounted on a lengthened ‘67 Bronco chassis (4x4). Pretty much screams “redneck”
    It has a 289 4V with a 3speed toploader, 3:50 gears and 32x11.50 tires. No power steering, no power brakes. I must have driven it 150K miles...and never washed it except to get the mud off the windshield and engine. It’s been more places than I care to specify. Once, I even had it in a creek deep enough the taillights were under water.
    FAF1FC56-AD27-4706-8185-78E811B0C9E8.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Another installment;
    Here’s a few pics of my old truck. It’s already been moved to a storage lot owned by one of my brothers. When spring comes, I’m planning on installing fresh batteries, fuel and oil and getting the old gal running again. Then, I’ll advertise it for sale.
    It’s a ‘79 F250 Service Duty 4x4. The ServiceDuty model had a heavier frame, suspension and axles. Basically, a 1-ton tagged as a 3/4-ton.
    672E9ECC-E14B-4125-90A1-A8E32047E9AF.jpg
    What makes it more unique is the engine swap performed by my Dad back in the early 1990’s. It has a Mercedes OM352A 5.6L Diesel with a custom turbo. This is the same engine used by the early Mercedes UNIMOG’s.
    AE23B28F-803C-491C-90F7-87BD6EB1FBEA.jpg
    It uses a custom bellhousing fabricated by my Dad to adapt it to the Ford/New Process 4sp transmission and gear-drive transfer case.
    Between the transfer case and rear axle, my Dad installed an electric shift Eaton 2speed auxiliary overdrive unit out of a 2-1/2 ton truck.
    1423F9FC-0CA9-4A75-9DDB-D60AD31E7939.jpg
    It has a high-pinion Dana 60 front axle, 4:10 gears and sway bars front and rear. The best part is the truck itself. It came from Arizona, so the body is basically rust-free.
    The engine and front axle alone are worth close to $4K. I was told by a local Diesel Performance shop that the entire truck, as is, could bring as much as $8K in their lot. I’d love to keep it, but I seriously have no real need for it.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

A few more pics;
    BAB77418-CC87-4E13-BB82-EE8D4EF60BC3.jpg
    Coincidentally, the steering wheel is a “rim blow” from a ‘69 Mach 1 with Deluxe interior option....which is pretty rare. It’s probably worth $300-$400 on its own.
    3E220965-7849-4532-8A23-3227400B72BE.jpg
    07694A0D-F25A-4201-902C-D892082F6F3D.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Where are you gonna house all that stuff?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Where are you gonna house all that stuff?
    Oh...there’s MUCH more. This isn’t even half of it.

One of my brothers owns a storage business that sits on about 2 acres. He kicked a couple renters out, so we filled one 20x40 storage unit with engines and parts. The other will be used to store the old ‘33 Pickup and a ‘62 Galaxie sedan (no pictures yet) that I’m keeping myself. He also has a 40x40 shop that will hold all the tools and equipment. All the other cars will just sit outside for now.
    Come Springtime, we’re gonna load up the stuff we don’t need and hit the local swap meets.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

that mustang on the bronco frame is hilarious!

User Info Menu

Whoa Brian...that's some incredible memories you had stored up but that '33 pick up is something else man!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that mustang on the bronco frame is hilarious!
    Some folks call it a Mustang...I call it a Mud-tang...
    99B1AEEB-8026-4A9D-BD24-AADCADDDD8A6.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Whoa Brian...that's some incredible memories you had stored up but that '33 pick up is something else man!
    Thanks! My bro and I decided we’re going to start working on it this summer. It’s about as close to being an original “rat rod” as you can get. We plan on rebuilding the motor, trans, brakes...whatever it takes to make it capable of being driven across the country. It should be interesting, since neither of us have ever spun a wrench on a flathead V8. We’re not going to paint or change a thing we don’t have to. We want it to be and look exactly like Dad left it. We may even clear coat right over the patina. When my brothers and sister were kids, they scratched their names into the paint on the dashboard with the end of the choke knob, LOL. The names are still there.

Honestly, I’m hoping by fall of 2020, I can haul band equipment to a couple local gigs in it. Although...I probably couldn’t get much more than my drums in it. It sure would look good with a set of my ‘69 Ludwigs and a few old tube amps in the back!
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 01-09-2019 at 09:44 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Thanks! My bro and I decided we’re going to start working on it this summer. It’s about as close to being an original “rat rod” as you can get. We plan on rebuilding the motor, trans, brakes...whatever it takes to make it capable of being driven across the country. It should be interesting, since neither of us have ever spun a wrench on a flathead V8. We’re not going to paint or change a thing we don’t have to. We want it to be and look exactly like Dad left it. We may even clear coat right over the patina. When my brothers and sister were kids, they scratched their names into the paint on the dashboard with the end of the choke knob, LOL. The names are still there.

Honestly, I’m hoping by fall of 2020, I can haul band equipment to a couple local gigs in it. Although...I probably couldn’t get much more than my drums in it. It sure would look good with a set of my ‘69 Ludwigs and a few old tube amps in the back!
    That would look so cool to pull up and start unloading out of the back of the '33...

User Info Menu

Update-

We’re still working on getting moved out. My brother sold his ‘69 Bronco project and his two ‘79 “Indy Pace Car” edition Mustangs. He also sold a couple pallets full of extra engines and parts for them. We also sold the ‘63 Renault Caravelle convertible. Last week we transported the ‘33 Pickup to its new home at my brother’s storage facility. Today, we transported my ‘62 Galaxie sedan.
    Incidentally, we ended up buying a brand new tilt-bed car trailer just for moving all these vehicles. We installed a 12,000Lb winch on it, complete with solar panel charger, and a 12V hydraulic power unit to raise and lower the bed. The winch and bed tilt functions are remote control operated.

EB1876D9-81D4-40D3-8CF9-91C8A6F70648.jpg
    668F0558-BF4B-4630-8664-E0CEC81B06CD.jpg
    07C45FF4-BE2A-4E74-BA6B-391A5A61CD5F.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I still have a pair of Lincoln Mark VII coupes that I need to sell. The red one is an ‘86 LSC model. It’s in excellent shape with the exception of damage on the RF corner. I have a gold ‘84 that I bought for parts to fix it. At this point, I’ll never get around to it. So....I’m looking to find them a new home.
    4A1159DE-B4C0-4FB5-8ED5-E08C5F492935.jpg
    42D13D45-C294-4B14-B7A6-1B527B51C66D.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Here’s a pic of the ‘69 Bronco project that my brother sold. There was another early Bronco chassis (‘72) that went with it. He used the money from it to pay for his half of the new car trailer we bought.
    2C7A43A6-E206-4530-82F2-214AE2013716.jpg
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I still have my divorce papers from both marriages. They fit in a coffee can. I guess that doesn't count.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Actually, that’s eerily similar. This whole situation for me is about something that fell through (in my case, a roof) and forced me to sort through all the “junk” that I had been hanging on to for decades. 90% of it was an albatross around my neck, and did nothing but cause stress and keep me from focusing attention on just one or two valuable things that I can now accomplish.

Which enforces my long held opinion that women are like cars. They all require regular maintenance, the hot ones cost you way more in the end, the good ones rarely break down, and the practical one make your life easier.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Very cool! Thanks for the updates and the advice on women.

User Info Menu

Well, when I said they were junk, I wasn’t lying! We still have about 8,000Lbs (literally) of parts to sort through and haul off....engines, transmissions, rear differentials, etc..
    we’re supposed to be out by April 1st, but it ain’t happening. The weather has been terrible this winter.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Managed to get my 4x4 Mustang hauled out today. It was my only vehicle through High School and College. This car has been places, done things and seen events that defy (or disregard) logic. Brings back a lot of memories. I just may have to keep it, LOL

8E1CC06F-4E6F-49A6-B9A9-728107AE8097.jpg
    DA799653-2764-406E-BC64-A5E0CD19C48E.jpg
    E173CA97-FB32-444C-B7CB-D86D36F3DF92.jpg
    -Brian