Thread: Do you read music?

User Info Menu

Default Do you read music?

Not the first time this topic has been discussed in here but drumbum gives some pretty convincing reasons why we should all learn.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do you read music?

I played piano for many years before learning the drums so I had the background to read sheet music. For drums it was a little different but it took very little time to switch. I would have to sit there for a few hours making sure I played all the notes right along with the sheet music when learning a song on the piano and it was the worst.

I can see reading music as a percussionist in a symphony, which I did for about 5 years, but that’s not how I learn my songs on the kit. I just listen along and play through a few times.

Just thinking about all the hours I spent having to write out piano theory makes me shiver
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I can, but slowly. I can't sight read.
    - Zack

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xweasel View Post
    I can, but slowly. I can't sight read.
    Exactly how I am

-Mike

User Info Menu

I have a percussion performance degree.
    I read and write music.
    I also have 18+ years of classical piano and teach piano.

User Info Menu

I can read music.............but not as good as I used to.............like any foreign language, use it or lose it.
    I started on bass clef F-horn trombone when I was in fourth grade, even though I was starting drum set at home.
    In college I went full force percussion -- snare -- tymps -- marimba -- all the hand-held stuff -- class piano -- theory -- ear training -- literature and history -- loved it all.
    Now here I am 40 years later and I'm slow at sight reading..............I work up new tunes mostly just by ear but I'll chart out stuff when I need to get intense.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I have a percussion performance degree.
    I read and write music.
    I also have 18+ years of classical piano and teach piano.
    Wow, Zack I didn't know you played piano as well! You should post some video of you playing!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I can read simple drum sheet music, but I get lost when it gets to double dot lines and where to go to start the repeat, to coda, etc.. I cannot read any type of other music at all.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Took piano lessons at the age of 9 every Saturday with a private tutor for about a couple of years. Took guitar lessons at a community college right out of high school for a couple of semesters but I haven't played piano or guitar in years. Learned to read and write drum tabs while I took drum lessons when I first started play drums but I never had a need to read off of charts since drumming is a hobby for me but I'm glad I have some background on reading charts.

User Info Menu

I can look at it and immediately tell you it's sheet music.

Read it!! Not a chance. (F-A-C-E and E-G-B-D-F) Face and Every good boy does something.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Not a chance & Don't want to learn. Made a rather good career out of playing by ear
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I can look at it and immediately tell you it's sheet music.

Read it!! Not a chance. (F-A-C-E and E-G-B-D-F) Face and Every good boy does something.
    Deserves fudge

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Kevaruka View Post
    Not a chance & Don't want to learn. Made a rather good career out of playing by ear
    I (believe it or not) played accordion for about 7-8 months. I got up to playing Beautiful Dreamer and learning to read music, but, somewhere in there, I lost interest and then the drums grabbed me and never let go. I was 10 so it puts my playing time at 62 years. There were no drum teachers in my hometown so I had to teach myself. I think I've proven that it can be done.

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Deserves fudge
    That's feeding into my addiction. I'm a chocoholic. There, I can say it without the stigma that usually follows a addiction.

I've been to rehab several times but always had a relapse, usually the day I left the rehab.

I have accepted the fact that this is something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I (believe it or not) played accordion for about 7-8 months. I got up to playing Beautiful Dreamer and learning to read music, but, somewhere in there, I lost interest and then the drums grabbed me and never let go. I was 10 so it puts my playing time at 62 years. There were no drum teachers in my hometown so I had to teach myself. I think I've proven that it can be done.

That's feeding into my addiction. I'm a chocoholic. There, I can say it without the stigma that usually follows a addiction.

I've been to rehab several times but always had a relapse, usually the day I left the rehab.

I have accepted the fact that this is something I'm going to have to deal with for the rest of my life.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I was good at reading snare drum, tympani, and percussion music in High School but since then I've never really had the need for it except for exercises and drills. I've been playing exclusively by ear now for 40 years or so and it has gotten me through everything just fine including session work. In retrospect, I wish that I would have continued developing the skill because as the saying goes "if we don't use it, we lose it" and I've lost it.

Recently though I've been considering developing the skill again as a challenge to myself if for nothing else. I'm just in the thinking phase now and I'm trying to muster the courage to accept the challenge and start doing it.

I envy those that can read, especially site read, and I love to watch drummers like Vinnie, Steve, and Kenny just follow a chart and play all of the amazing stuff that they play.

Kudos to all of you that can do it ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-11-2019 at 06:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Sometimes i know where the guitar player is going
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Can read but would love to learn how to site read.