Thread: Looking to upgrade cymbals

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default Looking to upgrade cymbals

This site has been a great resource for me. I got a lot of help when choosing my current drum setup. I managed to upgrade the drum kit, snare drum and choose the heads. Also, I got it tuned really where I would like it to be. Most of this on recommendations here. I also managed to snag a second alternative snare.

Currently I'm rocking a Pearl MLX maple kit, Ludwig Acrolite Black Galaxy snare. All with Remo ambassador top and clear bottom. The kick has a black ported reso and a clear batter head (not sure if it is pinstripe, but has a similar muffling ring). At the moment I'm using Istanbul Mehmet Samatya cymbals. They are nice cymbals. They sound good, but there is nothing special about them. If I have a busy mix they are just fine, I can get good attack and sustain, and due to the busy nature of the track you do not need anything else. But in songs where there is not much going on, I wish for something with a bit more texture. I've upgraded to the Samatya from Paiste 101 and there is a huge difference in quality from the brass Paiste to these bronze Istanbul.

I'd like some great cymbals that I can settle on and not need to upgrade anytime soon. I'd like something versatile that could do blues, pop, and rock. What I really need is hi-hats, ride and a couple of crashes. Not necessary but I would also consider getting a splash or a China just to have something different. But I'm more interested in the hi-hats, crash and ride.

I have access to Istanbul Mehmet and Agop, Zildian, Meinl, Paise and Sabian cymbals. Not all of them are in stock locally, but I could get them online. Also, I am not sure how helpful it is to go and select them myself as I do not have a great ear for drum cymbals. I've noticed that metal players locally tend to favor Sabian. Paiste seems to get a lot of praise especially for their rides. Their crashes and hats seem to be crisp and cut through really well but not sure is these are what I'm looking for. Also, lots of Zildian users here claim on their nice texture. Mostly jazz players seem to prefer these here. Another drummer friend here just believes that Meinl are the best, and that I should not be looking at anything else! What would you recommend?
    Last edited by ex351d; 01-12-2019 at 07:54 AM.