Thread: how do you know one cymbal is better

User Info Menu

Default how do you know one cymbal is better

i mean i kno that they sometime sound better but how do you know that the qualty is better unless they tell you

User Info Menu

the best way I've found is by price...i know that some brands are over priced but generally all the lines within one brand are better quality the more expensive they get...but that only works within a brand...for instance a 200 sabian is gonna be better than a 100 sabian but 400 Zildjen may or may not be any better than the 200 sabian....does that make any sence?

User Info Menu

off course you could always get into what types or materials were used and how they were manufactured and all that but whos got time to learn all that?

User Info Menu

look at reviews etc in drum magazines and stick to major brands; that way you can't often fall too bad

User Info Menu

Paiste, Zildjian, Sabian, Wuhan, and Istanbul. I would'nt touch any other brand. The first three's entry level lines are better than most of the other trash can lids that are out there.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Hey Alien,
    There are a couple things to keep in mind with cymbals. 1st, always go with the sound you like regardless of the "quality". While that may be a point of disagreement among us drummers, that brings up the second thing. Always buy the extended warranty when you get a cymbal. You may have one last years or you may have the same cymbal 1 month and hit it wrong and get a nice crack in it.

User Info Menu

I recently had the revelation that a finding the right cymbal is like finding the right woman (or if you a woman, finding the right man. Or if you're gay, finding the right man [or woman]. It has to be one that feels right to YOU and that, over time, continues to feel right. Trust your intuition. But do remember, what we hear sitting at the drums can sound different than what the audience hears, so check it out from afar by having someone else hit on it while you listen. And, in addition, generally go with Zil, Paiste, or Sabian.

User Info Menu

hmmm never thought of that... (the thing about it sounding different to u than the audience...) guess ill try getting a second opinion on my cymbals next time
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

Is there a cymbol that's the equivalent of a Ibanez Artcore guitar, or Mexican made Strat (i.e. dirt cheap, great quality, sounds like it cost 2k)? My son has gone from the cheapies that came with his first Pearl Forum kit, to Zildjian ZBT's, to Sabian Paragon's and the difference in price and sound has been unbelieveable. The Pearls sounded like trash can lids and went to pieces in short order. The Zildjians sounded really good by comparison (except for the china) and were pretty reasonable in price. The Sabians are just out of this world, but I practically had to take out a home equity loan to buy them. Yikes! With guitars it's really easy to get a high quality axe that is inexpensive, but I haven't found a cheap symbol that sounds great and seems sturdy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Is there a cymbol that's the equivalent of a Ibanez Artcore guitar, or Mexican made Strat (i.e. dirt cheap, great quality, sounds like it cost 2k)? My son has gone from the cheapies that came with his first Pearl Forum kit, to Zildjian ZBT's, to Sabian Paragon's and the difference in price and sound has been unbelieveable. The Pearls sounded like trash can lids and went to pieces in short order. The Zildjians sounded really good by comparison (except for the china) and were pretty reasonable in price. The Sabians are just out of this world, but I practically had to take out a home equity loan to buy them. Yikes! With guitars it's really easy to get a high quality axe that is inexpensive, but I haven't found a cheap symbol that sounds great and seems sturdy.
    the answer to your question is a resounding NO !! The only time you`ll find a good sounding cheap cymbal is when some chav has nicked it and is flogging it to by a new burbry cap . Cymbals are expensive because they are a very very time consuming to make .The good ones are all hand hammered into shape etc so it takes ages .Try the zildjians A customs if you like tha sabians they are mind blowing ,but again you`ll need a remortgage to get them.sounds like your son is a luckly lad !!

dave

User Info Menu

Yeah, I figured that was the answer. You're right about the Custom A's. My son was using their splashes (12', 10", 8"?) before he got the Paragon's. Very nice sounding symbols.

Actually, I'm the one who's lucky, though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Yeah, I figured that was the answer. You're right about the Custom A's. My son was using their splashes (12', 10", 8"?) before he got the Paragon's. Very nice sounding symbols.

Actually, I'm the one who's lucky, though.
    i can recommend the sabian b8`s for a niceish cheaper range cymbal .bout 300 bucks in your money assuming you in the states for a set (16" crash ,20" ride (wich i don`t rate too much) and 14" hats which sounds pretty nice) ,i`ve got a 16" crash in that range and it`s this ,sharp long lastig .it`s actually a very nice cymbal.also the 14" hats are very nice .the ride is a tad clangy.

so i suppose the answer for the first question could have been try the b8`s .they are definatley the best of the lower priced one hands down.

User Info Menu

i agree with pinkfloyd.....the sabian b8's are definatly the best cheep cymbals that exist, but nothing compares to an expensive hand hammered cymbal

User Info Menu

Paiste Alpha series are in that price range AND they are hand hammered! I have 6 of them and they are some of the best sounding cymbals I have come across without having to spend a fortune. Check them out at your local music store. They are well worth the money.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

This is really good info. I'm not in the market for cymbals at all, but there are a lot of folks who are on a budget but don't want to buy a piece of junk either. Since there is such a limited selection of nice, inexpensice symbols I think Sabian should be rewarded for producing just such a product. If they started selling these things like hot cakes more manufacturers would be inclined to get on the band wagon.