Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I want acoustic drums...wife says NO!

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want acoustic drums...wife says NO!

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I know you said no mesh heads and etc.. but here is my practice kit. I have a 2yr old and she sleeps through me playing

Nice playing Spaz.. wish my hands were fast like yours.. nice set up
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I always wondered what Sam Ash looked like.
    hahahahahahahaha!

User Info Menu

Best use of dumbbells ever.................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Really nice set up for when you need to be quiet.

User Info Menu

DSC01461.jpg

Zack's drum fairy. Did she leave it under the pillow or just fly it in when you were home?

You do understand that if Harper takes up the drums, in about a year you will have no room left to live in.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    DSC01461.jpg

Zack's drum fairy. Did she leave it under the pillow or just fly it in when you were home?

You do understand that if Harper takes up the drums, in about a year you will have no room left to live in.
    hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha~!!!
    Yeah if Harper becomes a little drummer I'm in for a world of chaos and noise.
    Well, no her mom is in for a world of hurt

User Info Menu

"Well, no her mom is in for a world of hurt"

Which will be inflicted on you when you least expect it.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

How about using brushes?

User Info Menu

A new wife sounds good.....................

User Info Menu

Grovel. It seldom works but if you throw some tears in the mix, well, you never know.

I never asked my wife about anything, she could say no faster than the Flash could get to the bathroom.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by omauro View Post
    A new wife sounds good.....................
    Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

My wife said no to two things, 1- a motorcycle...we now are on our 4th bike, and 2- a tattoo.... i now have 4. There is always a compromise.
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

My wife enjoys it when I play my drums. However I do realize it is loud so I tend to play when she is not home even though it doesn't bother her. Example I get out of work at 3:00pm she gets out of work at 5:30pm this gives me some time to play when she's not here. Is this at all an option for you.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tamashane View Post
    My wife said no to two things, 1- a motorcycle...we now are on our 4th bike, and 2- a tattoo.... i now have 4. There is always a compromise.
    Compromise? What did she get, lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Compromise? What did she get, lol.
    Lol, she still has me!!!
    1976 Tama Imperialstar Saturn 12+1 Platina6,8,10,12,13,14,15,16 concert toms, 16, 18 floor toms, 2-22x18 Bass drums.
    1971 5x14 Ludwig acrolite snare
    Tama metalworks snare 13x6
    DW collectors Maple Blue Glass7x8, 8x10, 9x12 rack toms, 11x14, 13x16 hanging toms, 18x23 bass, 8 and 12 timbale toms, 5.5x10 Ten and Six All Maple snare, 5.5x14 Supersolid snare, DW 9000 rack system, DW 5002 Double bass pedal, DW 5000 Hi-Hat stand, DW 9000 Snare stand.
    Sabian Xs20 cymbals: 16 & 18 crash, 20 ride, 14 hats, 8 splash, 18 china.
    Zildjian cymbals: 21 ride, 15 hats. All '70's era.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure how long you've been married, but there is almost always a way to convince your spouse to give in on something you really desire.

It could be as simple as a nice romantic dinner, with wine of course, and maybe some flowers. How about a nice gift? Maybe you have to give into something or do something that she wants. Beg a little if you have to, but never grovel. C'mon man, get creative!

Marriage is compromise and supporting each other. Take It from me, 32 years in now, and we both happily know how to play each other to get what we want and the funny thing is, we both know when we're getting played and we don't care, its actually fun!
    Last edited by JimmySticks; 07-06-2019 at 07:33 AM.

User Info Menu

35 years in June.She also won't allow me a new M4 BMW. Go figure?! .Not a money thing,at least not for the drums,maybe the BMW.
    I guess I should have stated originally that I had been using an older full size,all mesh Roland white pearl kit with a KD-120 kick with large power monitor maybe 5 years previous,so maybe that all turned her off of any drum idea I had. At that time she was always complaining that all she could hear directly upstairs in her t.v. room was the kick pad,thump,thump,especially with the monitor powered up.
    I sold that whole kit soon after,mainly due to her displeasure,rather than my lack of interest,so I guess I can't blame her for not wanting a full set of noise makers in the house.
    Possibly the only way she would go for it would be if I installed a sound proof booth or sound proof room downstairs...I dunno?! Thanks,Huck
    Last edited by Huck; 07-07-2019 at 06:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    35 years in June.She also won't allow me a new M4 BMW. Go figure?! .Not a money thing,at least not for the drums,maybe the BMW.
    I guess I should have stated originally that I had been using an older full size,all mesh Roland white pearl kit with a KD-120 kick with large power monitor maybe 5 years previous,so maybe that all turned her off of any drum idea I had. At that time she was always complaining that all she could hear directly upstairs in her t.v. room was the kick pad,thump,thump,especially with the monitor powered up.
    I sold that whole kit soon after,mainly due to her displeasure,rather than my lack of interest,so I guess I can't blame her for not wanting a full set of noise makers in the house.
    Possibly the only way she would go for it would be if I installed a sound proof booth or sound proof room downstairs...I dunno?! Thanks,Huck
    I feel for you.

Some women just don't understand how easy it is to please there husband's. I'm sure if she gave into your drumming, it would make her life better because you would be happy and then you would make her happy.

Maybe its time for tough love. Whatever she wants to buy for herself you say, " absolutely not!" A piece of jewelry, no! New shoes, no! New car, no! Get tough on her. She gets nothing! Sounds like she can use a dose of her own medicine to me. Of course, this is no holds barred war, so be prepared for the battles. But what do you have to lose? Put your big-boy shorts back on and take some control. Again, marriage is compromise, its not one sided.

Let me ask, what would happen if you just brought the drums home? No permission, no begging, just bring them in?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    I feel for you.

Maybe its time to stop asking and just start doing. Build the room if you have the space and it doesn't get in the way of anything. What could she say then? It would be soundproof.

Or maybe its time for some tough love, whatever SHE wants, you say, "absolutely not!" New shoes, no! New purse, no! New car, new watch, new appliances, new furniture, no, no, no and no! Might be time for her to feel the pain of being told no. And it would re-assert your manhood.

Anyway you get this done will probably be ugly, but it will pass.

User Info Menu

Just did a check of any extra rooms or extra space to build a soundproof room,but all spaces are accounted for.She is pretty adamant about any drums....,but a new BMW sounds more promising,at least she can drive it. Thanks,Huck50

User Info Menu

Another completed castration.

User Info Menu

It seems the only option left is to take up the flute... ask her if that's OK.

User Info Menu

She said that I could maybe learn the triangle.

User Info Menu

What about a music shed outside? I've seen people do that

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    What about a music shed outside? I've seen people do that
    That is a good idea,but the houses are too close together,plus heating/cooling and insulating it would be a bit much,I would think,but thanks for the idea!. Huck.
    Last edited by Huck; 07-27-2019 at 01:40 PM. Reason: spelling