Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I want acoustic drums...wife says NO!

User Info Menu

Default I want acoustic drums...wife says NO!

Hi:
    Trying to get back into drumming again after a 10 year layoff (beginner),but problem is,I want to buy a drum set,but the wife says NO to any drums in this house!
    I have tried to find any rental space at my 3 local music stores and nothing.
    Advertised for a rental practice space and nothing yet.
    Got the idea of 'self storage' units....contacted 3,but not too crazy about this idea.
    Building a soundproof booth...too much money.....so I am basically running out of options.
    Not looking for any e-kits,or replacement mesh heads.
    Any suggestions?Thanks,Huck
    Last edited by Huck; 07-07-2019 at 05:57 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I want acoustic drums...wife says NO!

well if not an ekit or mesh heads than I guess your only option is to stand up to the wife... Good luck : )
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

time for a new wife....

User Info Menu

The other option would be do you have a big enough backyard to put up a drum shed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    time for a new wife....
    I second this motion.
    My wife is totally supportive.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

I don't know where you live, but how about the garage?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Time for a new wife, bruh.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I second this motion.
    My wife is totally supportive.

Get the drums and find a band or someone that has a place to play...
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

What if you and your wife come to an agreement on days\times when you could practice? My wife is a nurse practitioner and she works hard. She is supportive of my passion, so the least I can do is practice when she is not home. Since she works 12 hour shifts, including weekends, there are plenty of opportunities for me to practice without disturbing her. She also bought me an ekit for Father's day

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

The other option would be do you have a big enough backyard to put up a drum shed?
    Small yard,so a drum shed is not feasible.Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    What if you and your wife come to an agreement on days\times when you could practice? My wife is a nurse practitioner and she works hard. She is supportive of my passion, so the least I can do is practice when she is not home. Since she works 12 hour shifts, including weekends, there are plenty of opportunities for me to practice without disturbing her. She also bought me an ekit for Father's day
    My wife just recently retired from working in a noisy factory for 35 years,so I can sort of see why she would want some quiet.She is home pretty well 24/7.Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Time for a new wife, bruh.
    I agree,but that won't happen.Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I don't know where you live, but how about the garage?
    I live in a small subdivision in cold Canada,so garage playing won't work,due to the noise factor.Thanks,Huck

User Info Menu

You could always get mesh heads and the low volume cymbals. Sabian and zildjian both have their versions and they feel just like normal cymbals.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    You could always get mesh heads and the low volume cymbals. Sabian and zildjian both have their versions and they feel just like normal cymbals.
    See 1st post? emphasis on the last sentence LOL
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I know you said no mesh heads and etc.. but here is my practice kit. I have a 2yr old and she sleeps through me playing

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Huck View Post
    Hi:
    Trying to get back into drumming again after a 10 year layoff (beginner),but problem is,I want to buy a drum set,but the wife says NO to any drums in this house!
    • I have tried to find any rental space at my 3 local music stores and nothing.
    • Advertised for a rental practice space and nothing yet.
    • Got the idea of 'self storage' units....contacted 3,but not to crazy about this idea.
    • Building a soundproof booth...too much money.....so I am basically running out of options.
    • Not looking for any e-kits,or replacement mesh heads.

Not to many options left Huck. You didn't state why you don't want an e-kit but if it's that or nothing, I'd be looking for the cheapest e-kit.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Not to many options left Huck. You didn't state why you don't want an e-kit but if it's that or nothing, I'd be looking for the cheapest e-kit.
    I had Roland TD-10 kit with a KD-120 kick with Pearl Eliminator back around 2007 and could not get used to the all mesh heads,cymbals were clunky sounding,kick pad was super loud when struck(kicked)...I sold this kit about one month later......maybe I should have played with it more to get used to it....I dunno.Thanks,Huck
    Last edited by Huck; 01-15-2019 at 02:58 PM.

User Info Menu

I had Roland TD-10 kit with a KD-120 kick with Pearl Eliminator back around 2007 and could not get used to the all mesh heads,cymbals were clunky sounding,kick pad was super loud when struck(kicked)...I sold this kit about one month later......maybe I should have played with it more to get used to it....I dunno.Thanks,Huck
    I think the e-kit is your only option.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I know you said no mesh heads and etc.. but here is my practice kit. I have a 2yr old and she sleeps through me playing

I always wondered what Sam Ash looked like.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Ok, you've tried the ekit route and it was a no-go, and that's a fair answer. I played on one too (Yamaha XtremeIII with IV pads) and I can totally relate.

Do you have any friends that could use a drummer with your skills? Maybe guys that are on the same level as you where you can go set up a kit (trusting folks here) and start a band at some other venue?

I live in an apartment now but used to live in a house before my recent divorce. I made friends with a guy who made his own home recording studio. We have been jamming together now for over 9 years and we trust each other like brothers. I actually lived in his recording studio for 2 months while I looked for a place to live while my divorce was being finalized.

I have my DW Collectors mic'd up ready to go at his place 24/7. The place is built like Fort Knox and I'm not worried about getting ripped off.

Mine situation is slightly unique and I know a lot of drummers who would not go as far as leaving a kit behind, maybe a beater kit...maybe??

My point to all of this is there is a way to get back into playing on your terms but it's going require a compromise from the wife.

What led up to my divorce?

Ex-wife said "No!"

Last edited by late8; 01-15-2019 at 04:54 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I always wondered what Sam Ash looked like.
    That's funny right there!!!
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

She sounds mean :( I have 4 kits & am forever getting told off but I always get my way
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

1 of the many reasons I love my house is the inner and outer basements. The inner basement is directly under the center of my house, all concrete block walls, and 1 doorway. It's a drummers dream in that I can play anytime I want. 9 in the morning, midnight, or anytime in between.

I should have made this move before I was 65.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You have to respect your wife’s wishes. The obvious solution would be to keep a set of drums at your girlfriend’s house.

But more seriously....maybe you can enroll in drum lessons. 2 birds with 1 stone. You get to go somewhere once or twice a week and play someone else’s kit, plus, you’ll get back up to speed quicker. Once you’re ready, look for a band to join that practices at someone else’s house. I’ve been playing in bands off-and-on for almost 30yrs and I’ve only played drums in my own house maybe 4 times. ...
    Which probably explains why I still suck after 30ys, LOL.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham