Thread: PDP Concept kick pedal and hi hat stand? Any opinions?

User Info Menu

Default PDP Concept kick pedal and hi hat stand? Any opinions?

So I'm slowly rebuilding a kit after taking some time away from drumming. I'm on the hunt for a kick pedal and HH stand. My previous kick pedal was a Pearl Demon Drive double, direct drive. It's an amazing pedal, but way more pedal than I need. I hardly ever used the double pedal, so I'm going back to a single pedal. I play rock, and classic rock. I don't play metal, or anything requiring lots of speed on the kick, so I'm going back to chain drive. I've been looking around online, and came across the PDP Concept pedal, and the matching HH stand. They look quite impressive, and are really inexpensive.

I don't play out any more, and probably won't again, at least not in the foreseeable future . So I don't want to spend a lot. I can get the Concept kick pedal and HH stand for $165, delivered to my door. That's a helluva deal, if they are decent pieces.

So does anyone here have any experience with one, or both of these units? I'd love to hear your opinions.

con1.jpg
    con2.jpg
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Concept kick pedal and hi hat stand? Any opinions?

I have both a Pearl Demon direct drive and a PDP Concept direct drive. I love my Demon direct drive and play it almost exclusively. I originally liked my Concept direct drive as much as my Pearl...maybe even more...until the second gig. After 3 sets (1hr each) I would start to get cramps in my leg. I’m 99% sure it’s because the spring is too weak for my heel-up playing. I bought a new high tension DW spring for it, but never got around to replacing it. So...my Concept pedal has sat unused for over a year.
    Other than the spring issue, it’s a nice basic pedal with great feel and build quality. I would assume the chain drive version would be just as nice.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

The long footboard is nice. For casual playing I think 170 for a pedal and a HH stand is a good deal.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Mines a direct drive with modifications but I'm sure you'll be just fine! I put a Tama speed cobra spring on mine because I thought the stock spring was a little weak. Tama is a much heavier duty spring lol. I also replaced the plastic upper rocker spring bearing with a DW 9000 series metal bearing, much better! ( only about 5 bucks ).DSC01517.jpg
    Last edited by drummerMD; 01-15-2019 at 11:44 PM.

User Info Menu

I've seen some awesome big named drummers using these pedals.
    I've never gotten to try them but I've heard good things

User Info Menu

Well, I read a few times now that the spring is a bit weak, especially for heel-up players. I too am a heel up player. So I kept looking around. I just happened upon a smoking deal on a Tama Speed Cobra double pedal last night on Ebay, and I couldn't help myself! I jumped on it. But thanks for all the info on the PDP stuff guys!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    I just happened upon a smoking deal on a Tama Speed Cobra double pedal last night on Ebay, and I couldn't help myself! I jumped on it.
    I've played the Tama SC double for 5 years now.................best pedal I've ever played...............love the long boards.
    I bought the TRICK slave driveshaft and replaced the "hammer" beaters with conventional felt beaters.
    I now have the pedal playing to my requirements and preferred feel...............sounds great on an Aquarian SK10 batter.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Good to hear Ricardo! I loved the long boards on my Demon Drives, I just wasn't too crazy about the direct drive. So this should be a win-win for me. And this one is coming with the older beaters, with a felt side. I may look into the driveshaft upgrade though.

Here's a pic from the eBay ad:

s-l1600.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Good to hear Ricardo! I loved the long boards on my Demon Drives, I just wasn't too crazy about the direct drive. So this should be a win-win for me. And this one is coming with the older beaters, with a felt side. I may look into the driveshaft upgrade though.

Here's a pic from the eBay ad:

s-l1600.jpg
    Nice score!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Nice score!
    Thanks! This one went for cheap because apparently there's a stripped out screw on the driveshaft. from the ad:"**** PLEASE NOTE**** While this unit works great, one of the tension screws that attaches the slave pedal to the linkage is stripped off at the top. So the linkage cannot be removed from the slave pedal.

There is another screw on the same part of the linkage that works well and the linkage locks down so the pedal works perfectly with no play
    ."

I can see in one of the pictures, it looks like the head of one of the drum key screws broke off on the end of the driveshaft. That's an easy fix! Well worth the $168 I paid for these guys!

klkl.jpg

User Info Menu

Also.............replace the screw on the driveshaft length adjustment.............you need two on each end.
    AND BE CAREFUL with those driveshaft screws -- they will strip out (the female) easily.
    Yet another reason I bought the TRICK driveshaft..............not perfect but much higher quality than the Tama.

Even with the felt side of those beaters, I would go through a 2-ply batter in one month...............and yes, I do use the patch.
    Last edited by Ricardo; 01-16-2019 at 01:51 PM.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Also.............replace the screw on the driveshaft length adjustment.............you need two on each end.
    AND BE CAREFUL with those driveshaft screws -- they will strip out (the female) easily.
    Yet another reason I bought the TRICK driveshaft..............not perfect but much higher quality than the Tama.

Even with the felt side of those beaters, I would go through a 2-ply batter in one month...............and yes, I do use the patch.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind!