Thread: Am I wrong here or being picky?

User Info Menu

Default Am I wrong here or being picky?

8 months ago all 5 of the band members put in $60 from a gig and started a band fund, to make a demo CD, or get some bumper stickers, lights etc? Well 2 months later the 2 guitar players leave and we get 2 new ones and been gigging about 2 months now with these 2 great guys.

Well last night the Bass player brought up that we should all continue to put in $5 or $10 from each gig and grow the kitty a little more so we can do a demo/press kit type CD.

I said well should'nt the 2 new guys put in money until they reach the $60 that the other 3 members already put in? They are full members and will benefit no more or no less than the rest of us from the kitty?

Am I being petty?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Am I wrong here or being picky?

No!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

No. The new guys are being brought up to "speed" which should include being "up to speed" on the band fund. After all, it's the new guys you're moving forward with right?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    No. The new guys are being brought up to "speed" which should include being "up to speed" on the band fund. After all, it's the new guys you're moving forward with right?
    Yes, moving forward. I also think it is a commitment from them towards the band? Bass player told me I was being Petty and in the end the Band benefits. I agree the Band benefits but some put in more than others and thats not right.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

I agree, the new guys should pony up. Think of it as a poker table. If two guys leave the table, and two new guys take their seats, they still have to ante up. They can't ride on the coattails of the guys that left.

At least the two guys that left didn't ask for their money back. Or did they?
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

I hate band funds... I spent 4 years in Roxtar and we put so much money into our band fund.... and we never did anything with it like we talked about. Then I left because of our singer and schedule and all that money I put in I will never get back.

User Info Menu

I think you're on the right track. If there's a band fund and everyone has put money in it's only fair that the new guys do the same.

User Info Menu

Not sure I quite understand the details. Certainly the new guys should put into the band fund going forward at an equal amount as everyone else. If you're asking the new guys to "catch up" by putting in what everyone else in the band put in prior to their involvement, then that is BS. That's like being in a club, paying dues, then asking any new member to pay back dues for as long as the club has been in existence.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    If you're asking the new guys to "catch up" by putting in what everyone else in the band put in prior to their involvement, then that is BS. That's like being in a club, paying dues, then asking any new member to pay back dues for as long as the club has been in existence.
    Good point!

User Info Menu

Not sure I quite understand the details. Certainly the new guys should put into the band fund going forward at an equal amount as everyone else. If you're asking the new guys to "catch up" by putting in what everyone else in the band put in prior to their involvement, then that is BS. That's like being in a club, paying dues, then asking any new member to pay back dues for as long as the club has been in existence.
    yes and no, There are alot of variables in that statement that makes it more like apples to oranges. In either case I am not going to pursue it, it is all benefiting the band and the 2 guys who quit never asked for or got their money back so it's all good.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

Fair point.

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    yes and no, There are alot of variables in that statement that makes it more like apples to oranges. In either case I am not going to pursue it, it is all benefiting the band and the 2 guys who quit never asked for or got their money back so it's all good.
    Probably best in that case. You're not down the $120 from the other members leaving, might as well move forward.

User Info Menu

That's like being in a club, paying dues, then asking any new member to pay back dues for as long as the club has been in existence.
    True !
    What if the catch-up payment was $600 instead of $60 ?
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Band funds are hard to do fairly. In my former band we would take the odd amount that couldn't be split evenly and put it in a fund. I don't remember ever using that fund to purchase anything while I paid for business cards, banners, etc. and never bothered to ask for repayment. Then 4 of us left the band and we got nothing back. It's probably best to purchase gear individually, and for promotional stuff, chip in at the time of purchase.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: