Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I have some very sad news...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

User Info Menu

Default I have some very sad news...

Greetings folks,

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, poster Kay-gee has passed away.

I know he really liked it here, and I registered today for that reason, so his suddenly not posting would not be a mystery to the community and friends he had made here over the years would know what happened.

He was great friend, a friend from childhood.

In the earliest days, late-'60s...it was drums for both of us, with The Great Debate: who was the better drummer, Mickey Dolenz of The Monkees or Ringo Starr of The Beatles.

We lived just two good stone throws apart for so many years and then came his first marriage and his moving to Southern Ontario, and then in 2006 to the Bahamas.

I can share more when time permits, if you like, but right now on I'm on supper break from work...

https://www.sootoday.com/obituaries/...-kelly-1197317

God Bless, you folks. I knew him well, and I very much doubt he was a member of any other online board.

He liked it...right here. His constant posting and sustained interest confirms this.

Take care,

Ron
    Last edited by RonJ_60; 04-12-2019 at 11:08 AM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: I have some very sad news...

I have no words. It's like losing a family member. Ron, thank you for letting us know.
    I look forward to more of your stories about KayGee. We were all jealous of him living in the Bahamas! LOL
    Rest in peace my drumming friend.

Kay-gee's reply to my New Year's resolution post:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

kg.jpg

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

User Info Menu

I really really hate to hear that. He was one of my favorites. He had an even keel and always seemed to be on top of the world!

I will surely miss him!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

He was a GREAT person and i always looked for his posts because they were always so positive and helped me when I was down.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Speechless. Rest in paradise my friend. Always loved reading your posts and your compliments. I never had the chance to meet you but I can tell how much of a good guy you were. We’ve lost quite a few on this forum. But it’s more than a forum. Friendships are formed here. I’m sorry I didn’t see this thread sooner. Thank you so much for letting us know Ron.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Rest in peace Kay-gee. You will be missed ...

User Info Menu

There were times over the years where we went back and forth on something. There was never any anger, sarcasm, whatever. It would always be some funny repartee' that never ended in anything negative.

I will miss him. DAMN
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

This is sad news. It’s hard to really know someone well through an Internet forum, but I always felt he represented the best in all of us. Kind, courteous, sincere, funny and respectful. His New Years resolution quote that Drummer posted sums it up. He will be greatly missed, but not forgotten.

RonJ_60-
    It would be an honor if you would share some stories when time allows. Please give condolences to his family on behalf of us all. Let them know that there is a community of people they have never met who’s lives were blessed by Kay-gee’s friendship.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

AMEN to that^^^^^^^^^^^.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    This is sad news. It’s hard to really know someone well through an Internet forum, but I always felt he represented the best in all of us. Kind, courteous, sincere, funny and respectful. His New Years resolution quote that Drummer posted sums it up. He will be greatly missed, but not forgotten.

RonJ_60-
    It would be an honor if you would share some stories when time allows. Please give condolences to his family on behalf of us all. Let them know that there is a community of people they have never met who’s lives were blessed by Kay-gee’s friendship.
    This in no fewer words.

I'm very saddened by this news and would hope we hear a lot more about his life when you have time. Thank you for posting!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    This in no fewer words.

I'm very saddened by this news and would hope we hear a lot more about his life when you have time. Thank you for posting!!
    I posted a lengthy entry a couple of days ago, but it has disappeared.

Maybe it was too long? Should I slice it in two? It's 994 words...

Hoping Tom or someone! can steer me right on this.
    Last edited by RonJ_60; 01-23-2019 at 05:29 PM.

User Info Menu

R. I. P.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonJ_60 View Post
    I posted a lengthy entry a couple of days ago, but it has disappeared.

Maybe it was too long? Should I slice it in two? It's 994 words...

Hoping Tom or someone! can steer me right on this.
    I think it's just your post count and automation.

Keep looking it may still reappear.

Thanks, again, Ron.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I saw it RonJ and want to thank you for sharing! I am so sad that a fine person like KayGee has passed away, but we all know where he is now!
    Take care and seeya!

Jim

User Info Menu

Wow, very sad news. RIP.

User Info Menu

Oh Man this is horrible! RIP KAYGEE, he always made my boring posts much more interesting and you can tell he was genuinely a good guy! He will be missed here for sure.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Very sad news indeed. RIP. You will be missed.

User Info Menu

All the best
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

oh man.. I loved how he always had something to say about anything and everything!
    RIP KayGee

User Info Menu

very sad..thank you Ron.

User Info Menu

I’m stunned! My best to those that knew him as a family member and a friend. Sleep well Kaygee. You will be missed.

User Info Menu

Wow, this is indeed sad news. I met him, when he came back to Toronto one visit, he came down to the bar to watch the band, gave me the beginning of my Bahamas vacation fundkay2.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    Wow, this is indeed sad news. I met him, when he came back to Toronto one visit, he came down to the bar to watch the band, gave me the beginning of my Bahamas vacation fundkay2.jpg
    ^^^^^^^
    That is totally awesome!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

That is sooo cool, funkyruss!

I'll hop on later to share some stories, some history and stuff.

My frustration right now is not having - at my fingertips - a great photo of Kelly behind his Gretsch or the one where he's strumming his Gretsch Tennessee Rose guitar.

There's a Library of Congress worth of photo albums, but it's a needle-in-a-haystack deal. It's unfortunate I didn't snap more pics when I had the chance...

A '70s pic would be great, but back then, pics were seldom taken outside of special occasions.

I'll see what I can dig up, and return.

The service yesterday was nice and heavily attended. Kelly touched the lives of a lot of people!
    Last edited by RonJ_60; 01-20-2019 at 10:29 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RonJ_60 View Post
    That is sooo cool, funkyruss!

I'll hop on later to share some stories, some history and stuff.

My frustration right now is not having - at my fingertips - a great photo of Kelly behind his Gretsch or the one where he's strumming his Gretsch Tennessee Rose guitar.

There's a Library of Congress worth of photo albums, but it's a needle-in-a-haystack deal. It's unfortunate I didn't snap more pics when I had the chance...

A '70s pic would be great, but back then, pics were seldom taken outside of special occasions.

I'll see what I can dig up, and return.

The service yesterday was nice and heavily attended. Kelly touched the lives of a lot of people!
    Please Please share more info about him. He was truly a person that touched a lot of people here, me included. ( always looked forward to reading his posts.
    Take care and seeya!

Jim