Thread: 37 and Counting

User Info Menu

Default 37 and Counting

I now know where every rim on my drums are. I know this because I seem to hit them more than I hit my drums.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: 37 and Counting

hahahahahahaha
    nothing worse than in the middle of a great fill you clink a rim

User Info Menu

Nice snare work...looking out for #38!

User Info Menu

Have you ever added up aggregate video time?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Have you ever added up aggregate video time?
    No.................................why?

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

When someone asks me why I hit a rim or play something different than what they are use to, I tell them it wasn't a mistake...it's how I interpret the song.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    No.................................why?
    Just curious. That's a lot of videos.

User Info Menu

Just curious. That's a lot of videos.
    You're right Marc. I wish other drummers would put stuff up in the 10-20 minute range. I like to watch drummers wail away, but since Kenny Howard left nobody does it.

So I will.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You're right Marc. I wish other drummers would put stuff up in the 10-20 minute range. I like to watch drummers wail away, but since Kenny Howard left nobody does it.

So I will.
    Yeah, Kenny did put up some fantastic video. I would, but, I suck.

User Info Menu

Marc, you can't think like that.

Sit behind your drums, set up a camcorder, and just wail away for 20 minutes. Don't think of structure of a solo, I never have. I'll be on a drum and think of where will I go from here. OK the hi-hat seems like a good idea, so I guess I'll go there for a while until I think of something else to do.

Every solo I've ever taken in my life, I have approached it that way. I have no more skills than you have. I can do a single stroke roll (so can you}, I can do a double stroke roll (so can you), and I can do a paradiddle (so can you). That's it, mix them up and wail away.

I have absolutely no idea how in the hell I left out triplets.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 01-30-2019 at 06:48 AM. Reason: =======

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Marc, you can't think like that.

Sit behind your drums, set up a camcorder, and just wail away for 20 minutes. Don't think of structure of a solo, I never have. I'll be on a drum and think of where will I go from here. OK the hi-hat seems like a good idea, so I guess I'll go there for a while until I think of something else to do.

Every solo I've ever taken in my life, I have approached it that way. I have no more skills than you have. I can do a single stroke roll (so can you}, I can do a double stroke roll (so can you), and I can do a paradiddle (so can you). That's it, mix them up and wail away.
    I've been playing for a very long time. I have never been very good or very comfortable with doing drum solos. No problem at all working within the framework of a song whether it's a cover or an original. Never looked at it as simply single/double stroke rolls, paradiddles or any other rudiment strung together to make some sort of sense. Maybe I'll try it (certainly not in front of a camera, however). Thanks.

User Info Menu

I've been playing for a very long time. I have never been very good or very comfortable with doing drum solos. No problem at all working within the framework of a song whether it's a cover or an original. Never looked at it as simply single/double stroke rolls, paradiddles or any other rudiment strung together to make some sort of sense. Maybe I'll try it (certainly not in front of a camera, however). Thanks.
    I did leave out triplets.

Record it, I don't think it's going to wind up on IMAX. Sitting back and watching is way different than playing. Most of the time I catch my mistakes watching what I played. If it doesn't go above 70% on the lousy scale, I put in on DC.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS