Thread: Snare ring & Mic Placement

User Info Menu

Default Snare ring & Mic Placement

Hey all, I'm struggling to figure out mic placement here, hoping you can help:

I have a hammered bronze snare with G1 and have been dialing in the tuning for months.

Without going into ALL the details, I have 2 Avantone CK1's for overheads and my interface is a Behringer UMC1820. For snare I have a Beta 57A on a small boom stand because the cheapie clip type did not give enough range of positions. Everybody seems to agree that the 2" above the rim, just peeking over and pointed toward the center is the go-to mic placement.

When I do this, the mic just accentuates the ring BIG TIME while the overheads remain really dry by comparison. My whole reason for wanting to close mic is because the overheads don't have enough presence or low end and I can't change the mix beyond what the snare produces acoustically.

So I'm a little confused in my newbishness here, is muffling the snare always a must when recording? What should I try for a better result? It sounds like a bloody kalimba playing at the same time...

Thanks
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare ring & Mic Placement

I see nothing wrong with dampening the snare to get the desired sound and ringing effect. Sounds like you are using a good snare mic positioned appropriately and there is only so much ring you can eq out ...

User Info Menu

I use a 5x14" Ludwig Black Beauty with an Audix i5 clipped to the top hoop at the 1:00 o'clock position aimed down to where it almost touches the head with no damping. I like the "ring" of the brass shell and in my opinion, it helps the snare cut through the mix. You can experiment with different mic positions to find one that works for you but in my case I found the sound I liked by aiming the mic at the edge of the head.

You can damp down the ringy sound on any drum by using moongel, damping rings, duct tape, a popsicle stick taped to the edge of the batter head or use different drum heads that are designed to eliminate unwanted overtones.

User Info Menu

continued...

Here are some tips from a few of my favorite drummers who endorse Shure mics:

User Info Menu

continued...

User Info Menu

continued...

User Info Menu

Rich, with all due respects my friend, I wonder how many of those drummers really know what they are talking about vs how much are they being paid to endorse the mic's.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rich, with all due respects my friend, I wonder how many of those drummers really know what they are talking about vs how much are they being paid to endorse the mic's.
    These guys are always sought after Rick...they can "show you the money" as they say in show biz lol!

Simon Phillips is an English drummer, songwriter, and producer who has a net worth of $10 million. Simon Phillips was born in London, England in February 1957. 2003, he was inducted into the Modern Drummer magazine Hall of Fame

Kenny Aronoff (born March 7, 1953 in Albany, New York) is an American rock drummer who has a net worth of $10 million. Kenny Aronoff graduated from Indiana University in 1976.

Dave Weckl (born January 8, 1960) is an American jazz fusion drummer and leader of the Dave Weckl Band. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 2000. His net worth is currently at $175 million as the band continues to tour to massive crowds and work on new music.

Mike Mangini is an American drummer who has a net worth of $4 million. Mike Mangini was born in Newton, Massachusetts in April 1963. He has been the drummer of the progressive metal band Dream Theater since 2010.
    Last edited by late8; 01-24-2019 at 04:47 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    These guys are always sought after Rick...they can "show you the money" as they say in show biz lol!

Simon Phillips is an English drummer, songwriter, and producer who has a net worth of $10 million. Simon Phillips was born in London, England in February 1957. 2003, he was inducted into the Modern Drummer magazine Hall of Fame

Kenny Aronoff (born March 7, 1953 in Albany, New York) is an American rock drummer who has a net worth of $10 million. Kenny Aronoff graduated from Indiana University in 1976.

Dave Weckl (born January 8, 1960) is an American jazz fusion drummer and leader of the Dave Weckl Band. He was inducted into the Modern Drummer Hall of Fame in 2000. His net worth is currently at $175 million as the band continues to tour to massive crowds and work on new music.

Mike Mangini is an American drummer who has a net worth of $4 million. Mike Mangini was born in Newton, Massachusetts in April 1963. He has been the drummer of the progressive metal band Dream Theater since 2010.
    Rich, I know who they all are. The only thing that surprised me was that Weckl is worth $175 million.

Having the $$$$$$ and knowing about the equipment set up for you is 2 totally different things.

Like Steve Miller said "Take the money and run".

(Side Note) I was playing before 3 of them were born. Kenny was born in '53, I started playing in '56.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS