Thread: Snare for irish folk group

User Info Menu

Default Snare for irish folk group

Hi folks,

I'm investigating wich kind of snare could be used for playing a acoustic irsh folk rock group.

I play mostly all time with brushes and I would like to find a good sound, sometimes we play amplified and sometimes not.

I've been recomended to use 13'' wood snares but I would like to hear you're opinions. I wonder wich could be beter the flat ones or the wider ones.

Wich one would you use?

Thanx!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare for irish folk group

Can you share more info about your Irish folk group? Most videos I found from this genre shows two types of music:

Traditional Irish hand drumming:

Chieftains-

1.jpg

Or a standard "rock" drum kit:

Oysterband-

If it's like the latter, any standard snare drum could work but I'm assuming the smaller sized shell would probably "fit" in better within the mix if you were to go unmic'd.

2.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare for irish folk group

I think anything would work. If I were to choose, I’d go with a deep, thin shelled wood or metal. Something with “body” and resonance to get that traditional hand drum sound. 13x7 (always a winner) or 14x8.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham