Thread: Deeper sound from 5" snare?

User Info Menu

Default Deeper sound from 5" snare?

Hey all, this is an offshoot from my other thread where I've been struggling with ring.
    I'll give quick background then ask questions and let you all have at it:

-Started with HD Dry, sounds great but awfully dead and vent holes no good for brushes.
    -Next came Calftone just because I was curious. Cool sound but no durability.
    -UV1 was next, no real complaints except I wanted a little less ring
    -PS3: fine, but not much less ringy on this snare.
    -G1 because I thought I should go for the most traditional sound. It's still on there and love the sensitivity but wondering if I can't do better. My major complaint is that rimshots just generate too much ring (and it gets picked up like crazy when I close mic).

While I want to get that ringing under control, I don't love muffling as it always seems to affect the liveliness/dynamics.
    Will going to a thicker head give more depth? Lower fundamental?
    I am not 100% opposed to 2-ply heads but listening to all the examples I can find on Youtube tells me they can still be very bright and ringy. The G14 or G12 seem pretty interesting to me but open to all suggestions! Thanks guys
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Deeper sound from 5" snare?

Just a thought but have you thought about trying a reverse dot coated head? Like a Remo Controlled Sound reverse dot or an Evans Power Center reverse dot? Maybe add a dab of moongel right underneath the snare top microphone to soften the ring if necessary?

You want to tame the ring, not kill it because then the snare will sound lifeless like paper when you add the other instruments ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 01-24-2019 at 11:13 PM.

User Info Menu

I’ve been using remo ambassador x heads. They’re a littler thicker than the standard ambassador’s and are incredibly durable. Not to mention it sounds fantastic. I had the g1 before the ambassador x and the g1 is a close second for me. I like a deeper sound too so I crank the bottom head and loosen the snares. Sometimes i’ll Throw half a cut out head on top and it has a dead punch that really cuts.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Get a damn popsicle stick and put it under the head after you find out by moving it around on top of the head.

Don't watch this whole thing, just listen to the sound of the snare. At that time I had just bought my house and put my drums in the corner of a 38'x26' room that has concrete walls with 1 doorway. If I took the popsicle stick out, the drum would ring like the Liberty bell. Keep it between where your left and right hands fall. You can see that on the video and the white thing under the head is the stick. I've been using them for 55 years.

Use 1 of the heads that rings the most. By the way, the snare I used is a Acrolite.

You can hear a slight echo because the door opens into the outer part of my basement. I have since moved my drums to the middle of the wall and out of the corner. That calmed my toms down.

It can't hurt to try it. Every snare I've owned has been metal, and they all had a popsicle stick in them.

Sorry that I couldn't make the video smaller.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Some ring sounds good out front. Try a moongel and hit in the center for less ring. Off center for more ring.

User Info Menu

In my opinion, there's is a limitation on how low you can tune a 5" deep snare and how much ring you can eliminate out of a bronze hammered shell. I've tried many combinations of heads on my 5x14" Ludwig BB with an attempt to reach the lowest tuning threshold before the batter head bottomed out, hence the need for me to buy 6.5" to 8" deep snares to get that deep phat sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    In my opinion, there's is a limitation on how low you can tune a 5" deep snare and how much ring you can eliminate out of a bronze hammered shell. I've tried many combinations of heads on my 5x14" Ludwig BB with an attempt to reach the lowest tuning threshold before the batter head bottomed out, hence the need for me to buy 6.5" to 8" deep snares to get that deep phat sound.
    Ya starting to see that I may have to explore different snare drums altogether.

I'm definitely going to try the popsicle stick!

I ordered a G14 as it sounds lower in all the videos. With 40% more thickness (& mass) it must tune lower than a G1 just by the physics. If that doesn't do it, the Evans ST has my curiosity (regular, not dry). Thanks everyone
    Taye Tourperformer, PDP Hammered bronze snare, 15" Diril Primitive hats, 17" XPlosion, 10" duo splash, 15" Xtreme china, 22" HHX Omni, 7" cup chime, Yamaha 9415 w. Vickicks

User Info Menu

Try an Aquarian Reflector Series, took the ring out of my 6.5 copper snare
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Coated Powerstroke3. A 14 mil single ply head sound like the worst thing to me.

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

you could just go all out and put a remO ring on it. Guarantee that will take off the ring
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Try an Aquarian Reflector Series, took the ring out of my 6.5 copper snare
    I have one on my 13X7 Black Magic Ludwig and it didn't take the ring out of it. The HD dry I thought was better. Since the head is gray I did the RTD popsicle stick trick w/gorilla tape on both lower left and right side on the underneath side of the head and you don't see anything on top and it looks good and sounds good now!. . . . .thanks Rick! lol.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SunDog View Post
    Coated Powerstroke3. A 14 mil single ply head sound like the worst thing to me.
    The PS3 didn't work on this one for me. It didn't remove enough ring, just kind of shifted the overtones around and seemed less sensitive.

But in a surprise twist I picked up an old 6.5" maple snare yesterday. It's pretty fugly but hand made by a local guy who has been in the industry for ages. I was impressed by how much low end it put out and it still had "life" so decided to get the same head for my bronze PDP.

The regular ST (not dry) may have saved the day. The G14 is still coming in the mail but I've got most of what I am looking to hear. It's quieter than the G1 and the whole voicing shifted down. It definitely sounds bigger with reduced dynamics that I may be able to live with. Not nearly as dead as the HD Dry. We'll see how it sounds recorded... I'm curious how different this is from the G2 or onyx but they tell me it's a different plastic?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I have one on my 13X7 Black Magic Ludwig and it didn't take the ring out of it. The HD dry I thought was better. Since the head is gray I did the RTD popsicle stick trick w/gorilla tape on both lower left and right side on the underneath side of the head and you don't see anything on top and it looks good and sounds good now!. . . . .thanks Rick! lol.
    Not every metal snare takes the same size stick. The 1 on my BB SS is only maybe 1 1/4" long, while the 1 on my DynaSonic is almost 2". I did find that on most snares, the ideal place was about 3" from the rim right between where your left and right hands fall. I use postage wrapping clear tape. It sticks forever and is fairly easy to remove.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Natman View Post
    The regular ST (not dry) may have saved the day. The G14 is still coming in the mail
    Well FYI the G14 has really done it for me. It has the general feel of a G1 but more attack, more lows, far less ring and a wide range of dynamics. Really sits between the 2 ply and single camps. It's just what I was hoping to hear from this snare: I retain most of the openness (more than the ST) and better attack but a little less sensitivity. I'm glad there are so many options available on the market and happy to have gone though the experimentation!