Thread: My 10+ year search is finally over!!!!

User Info Menu

Default My 10+ year search is finally over!!!!

So after over ten years of searching... yes I know crazy but hey I'm no quitter, I have finally found the 18"x14" bass drum for my Yamaha Maple Custom.
    It came in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately there is some damage from shipping but I will be addressing that right away.

Anyways... check out this little beauty
    oh and don't ask how much... I paid whatever the seller wanted and it didn't come cheap

User Info Menu

Default Re: My 10+ year search is finally over!!!!

I wouldn't look for anything for 10 years. If I don't find something yesterday, the hell with it.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    So after over ten years of searching... yes I know crazy but hey I'm no quitter, I have finally found the 18"x14" bass drum for my Yamaha Maple Custom.
    It came in the mail yesterday. Unfortunately there is some damage from shipping but I will be addressing that right away.

Anyways... check out this little beauty
    oh and don't ask how much... I paid whatever the seller wanted and it didn't come cheap

You could always put it on the rack and tell Cailyn that it's just another snare drum that you bought because it doesn't buzz.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Score of a lifetime...virtually.
    Sweet BD. That would be a great foundation for a 10/13/18 or 12/14/18 bop kit!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

It’s like Rich’s porkpie hoop all over again. I hope you can fix it or you get reimbursed for the damages!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, I doubt you’ll get anything out of UPS. I’ve been shipping & receiving packages daily for almost 30yrs...probably several thousand shipments in all. I’ve probably filed 100 claims over damaged packages, and I don’t recall ever getting any type of settlement. They usually say it was due to “inadequate packing”...because if it WAS packed appropriately, it wouldn’t have gotten damaged. IMO, your best option is to just be glad that was all that was damaged.
    I’d probably just buy a new unfinished Maple hoop from Drum Factory Direct for $30, stain it to match and move on.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Gorgeous! I'm on a similar quest for a matching tom to my silverstar kit.

User Info Menu

Beautiful little kick, but as far as the damage....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwQkkGM1Dw
    Last edited by Powertrip240; 02-10-2019 at 07:29 AM.
    Aut Viam Inveniam Aut Faciam
    "I shall either find a way or make one"

User Info Menu

The glue idea is worth investigating. That hoop shouldn't get much stress abuse.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Powertrip240 View Post
    Beautiful little kick, but as far as the damage....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJwQkkGM1Dw
    hahahahahaha! nice

User Info Menu

Hey Zack ---

Nice score -- that will fit well with the existing kit -- glad you finally found it.
    I have an option you might consider..............GOLF CLUB GLUE.

I used to build and repair a lot of golf clubs and you can buy golf club epoxy (parts 1 & 2) that is the strongest stuff you will ever find.
    Once it sets (it takes a full 24 hours to set correctly) it requires 400 degrees to get to release.............so it is very, very permanent with something like a bass drum hoop.
    You can find the epoxy in a clear version and hand-sand any excess............maybe a bit of touch up with the right color of Sharpie pen and you'll be in business.

Regards,
    Richard
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    It’s like Rich’s porkpie hoop all over again. I hope you can fix it or you get reimbursed for the damages!
    Great memory Mike! Yes, exactly where mine was damaged due to shipping. I called UPS customer support and they said the damage was due to "improper packing". I took the hoop to a guitar luthier and a furniture restoration shop and both said the stress created by the bass drum claws would negate any type of a fix. Lucky for me it was a Pork Pie product so Bill called his Taiwan supplier and they were able to make two matching hoops for me at $100 each.

User Info Menu

I might even suggest you take it to a local acoustic guitar luthier and have them see if they can suggest a repair. By the way I absolutely love the gold hardware. It compliments the drum nicely.

User Info Menu

Well last night I did two things

First) I tried gluing the hoop with a ratchet clamp. Tonight I'll take the clamp off and see how I did! I measured it and it was still in round. Plus this is on the resonant side so there won't be a lot of pressure or contact.

Second) Since I work for a music store, I called Yamaha directly and found out they still have TWO new bass drum hoops for the YMC. The price doesn't come cheap but that's not a surprise to me. But definitely worth looking into as I've searched for the bass drum for years! So I'll probably bite the bullet and order a new hoop. Only thing that sucks is the YMC darkens with age and that hoop will still be a light color if it's still new in a box or sitting on the shelf in low light.
    Last edited by SpazApproved; 02-12-2019 at 07:19 AM.

User Info Menu

Well last night I did two things

First) I tried gluing the hoop with a ratchet clamp. Tonight I'll take the clamp off and see how I did! I measured it and it was still in round. Plus this is on the resonant side so there won't be a lot of pressure or contact.

Second) Since I work for a music store, I called Yamaha directly and found out they still have TWO new bass drum hoops for the YMC. The price doesn't come cheap but that's not a surprise to me. But definitely worth looking into as I've searched for the bass drum for years! So I'll probably bite the bullet and order a new hoop. Only thing that sucks is the YMC darkens with age and that hoop will still be a light color if it's still new in a box or sitting on the shelf in low light.
    If you get the new hoop, put it on the batter side so only you will see it.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I’ll never be able to listen to this song again without thinking of Spaz and his 18” drum...

If I was clever at video editing, I’d keep the tune and add pictures of Z and his new drum...
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 02-12-2019 at 07:14 PM.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

I just seriously cracked up so hard at this!!!!

User Info Menu

I just seriously cracked up so hard at this!!!!
    Maybe it’s just me, but I can just visualize him singing to a lone bass drum...sitting there on the dark stage in the warm glow of a spotlight. Then the powerful drum fill kicks in....
    I’m tellin’ ya, I’ll never be able to hear that song again without thinking of you (in a Percussionistic way, LOL).
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Hahahahahahahahahaa
    Signature here