Thread: One up Two down

User Info Menu

Default One up Two down

I'm playing a gig/ party on the 22nd and I'm going to keep it somewhat minimal. Deciding on one of two kits this time. I'm leaning towards my Crush(excluding the 12" tom ) kit, just because I haven't gigged with it yet though I'm tempted on my Saturns( minus the 12" tom). Do you think the monitor placement is good? It does have volume control so I'm good. Should be enough room on the stage.DSC01900.jpgDSC01908.jpg

User Info Menu

Default Re: One up Two down

The Mapex is gorgeous.
    But the Crush is more FUN!
    So depending on the music, crowd, and gig... I'd choose my kit from there.

As far as monitor I use IEM and I could never go back to a speaker.

User Info Menu

Mapex is sweet. Also, I've gone to IEM. Can't go back.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    The Mapex is gorgeous.
    But the Crush is more FUN!
    So depending on the music, crowd, and gig... I'd choose my kit from there.

As far as monitor I use IEM and I could never go back to a speaker.
    Believe me, Zack, as soon as I start playing more, IEM's for sure!

User Info Menu

Both sets look great to me..................I'd want to play the one that sounds best in the room you will gig.
    BTW, I've been playing 1-up, 2-down exclusively for the last 7 years (after all other configurations)..............feels very comfortable.
    I love having the ride in the conventional position.
    On the question of monitors -- I've tried them all -- I still prefer the old-school sub combination -- I need to feel that bass thump !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Which one weighs less?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Which one weighs less?
    You got it, Bish! the Crush kit! lol. I'm not getting any younger.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 02-11-2019 at 03:14 PM.

User Info Menu

I never really did care for 1 up, 2 down. I just have so many fills that I like to use with 2 up and not willing to sacrifice that space. But yeah, there's nothing like having that ride right 'there' in the middle without having to extend your arm to much.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I never really did care for 1 up, 2 down. I just have so many fills that I like to use with 2 up and not willing to sacrifice that space. But yeah, there's nothing like having that ride right 'there' in the middle without having to extend your arm to much.
    That's the biggest upside to 1 up. Plus, less crap to carry around.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I never really did care for 1 up, 2 down. I just have so many fills that I like to use with 2 up and not willing to sacrifice that space.
    And that is the downside.
    I played 2-up, 2-down for 12 or 13 years so I understand your preference.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Most of the time I played 1 up, 2 down. Sometimes 2 up and 2 down. Messin' around in my basement, I've had as many as 10 toms, 3 down and 7 up, and my ride has been in the same place since I was 15.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Everyone develops their own style. I’ve played my Ludwigs in a 1up/2dwn configuration a couple times, but it was mostly pointless. I’ve played 1up/1dwn for long enough that I don’t even think of using the second FT. Plus, it makes it harder on my back to twist to reach it.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post

Do you think the monitor placement is good? It does have volume control so I'm good. Should be enough room on the stage.

DSC01908.jpg
    Nice kits drummerMD but I think the hot spot monitor will block the best view of watching the drummer play. Unless your on the FBI 10 Most Wanted List, why not let the audience get a better look at a hard working drummer? I use a hot spot monitor at my buddy's home studio and I have it right next to my left ear which would make it left of the hats. I can clearly hear the vocals and it's not obstructing any angles and I can make eye contact with my bandmates for visual cues.

Last edited by late8; 02-21-2019 at 04:11 PM.

User Info Menu

DSC01912.jpgI put the monitor on the crash stand between the floor toms and put my red cowbell between the tom and Hi-Hat, just in case we do some Robin Trower! lol.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 02-12-2019 at 05:49 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    DSC01912.jpgI put the monitor on the crash stand between the floor toms and put my red cowbell between the tom and Hi-Hat, just in case we do some Robin Trower! lol.
    Nicely placed cowbell and hotspot!