Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 34

Thread: Your choice for snare wires?

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Your choice for snare wires?

    After reading differing opinions on snare wires in MDK's thread about the quick release hose clips for snare wires found here:

    https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....on-snare-wires

    ...a couple members (N2Bluz, drummerMD) posted their dislikes about what I thought were the most common snare wire aftermarket replacement brand, Puresound, as being too bright or disliking the snare straps but they didn't mention what they used instead.

    This prompted me to do my own search and I'm now grateful to them because I found a few alternative choices that I didn't know existed.

    Sabian produces their own line of wires?



    I also found Grover Pro Percussion also has their own brand of wires.



    Any opinions on either of these brands? I'd like to broaden my choices but need your thoughts and I didn't want to hijack MDK's thread. Thanks!!

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    I have used either Puresound or Ludwig wires on my snares with good results for years. They are held on with either Grosgrain ribbon (my preference) or the orange Ludwig cord (for my vintage Ludwig snares).

    If I was to try another wire I believe it would be Canopus. I have heard good things about their wires ...

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    yeah I was surprised to hear their comments about Puresound also... I have always used them and had great luck with them.

    I'd be interested into hear more about why they dislike them
    12pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (23pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 4pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 50 Snare drums and growing!

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    I have used either Puresound or Ludwig wires on my snares with good results for years. They are held on with either Grosgrain ribbon (my preference) or the orange Ludwig cord (for my vintage Ludwig snares).

    If I was to try another wire I believe it would be Canopus. I have heard good things about their wires ...
    Thanks for chiming in dangermoney. I’ll check out your recommendations.

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I was surprised to hear their comments about Puresound also... I have always used them and had great luck with them.

    I'd be interested into hear more about why they dislike them
    Considering you have 50+ very nice snares Zack, I think maybe a few still have their factory issued snare wires still in place?

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah I was surprised to hear their comments about Puresound also... I have always used them and had great luck with them.

    I'd be interested into hear more about why they dislike them
    There’s so many variables involved....drum size, shell material, snare bed, head choice, tuning, snare wire material, number of strands...not to mention personal taste and even playing style.

    The few times I’ve tried Puresound, they did exactly what was advertised; they were loud, cutting, sensitive and bright and distinct...almost “tinny” and harsh. What I found was that I actually prefer my snares to sound darker and more subtle. When I removed the Puresound wires and went back to the cheap Pearl, Tama or Ludwig wires, I got the sound I prefer.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    I didn’t know Sabian made snare wires. Interesting. I just use your standard Gibraltar wires held using the plastic strips.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    After reading differing opinions on snare wires in MDK's thread about the quick release hose clips for snare wires found here:

    https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....on-snare-wires

    ...a couple members (N2Bluz, drummerMD) posted their dislikes about what I thought were the most common snare wire aftermarket replacement brand, Puresound, as being too bright or disliking the snare straps but they didn't mention what they used instead.

    This prompted me to do my own search and I'm now grateful to them because I found a few alternative choices that I didn't know existed.

    Sabian produces their own line of wires?



    I also found Grover Pro Percussion also has their own brand of wires.



    Any opinions on either of these brands? I'd like to broaden my choices but need your thoughts and I didn't want to hijack MDK's thread. Thanks!!
    I like the Sabian Hybrids ( the one in the middle ) I put one one my Drum Craft 14X6 birch and I like it a lot, that was about 3yrs. ago. Until now they still don't make a 13". I don't think Sabian knows about 13" snare drums, LOL. Most of my snares are 13".

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    These guys did a pretty comprehensive test of differnt snare wires.



    They also have other great content on the channel.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    I have PureSound on 1 of my snares. I've picked up a set of adjustable snare wires that give you a allan wrench to adjust them. I think I'm going to try them on my Black Magic, but I do have this feeling that the Black Magic is still going to sound like a snare drum.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I have PureSound on 1 of my snares. I've picked up a set of adjustable snare wires that give you a allan wrench to adjust them. I think I'm going to try them on my Black Magic, but I do have this feeling that the Black Magic is still going to sound like a snare drum.
    HAHA I was expecting you to say something like that
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

    -Mike

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Thanks for chiming in dangermoney. I’ll check out your recommendations.

    Considering you have 50+ very nice snares Zack, I think maybe a few still have their factory issued snare wires still in place?
    oh yes MANY of them I have never changed. But some come with such crappy wires or I've broken several over the years that I have changed out many also.

    Yeah a lot of it is truly going to be personal preference.
    Like for me for instance, I love a 13x7 snare cranked to the max to cut through EVERYTHING.
    So I like the snappy 20-24 strand wire.
    12pc Yamaha Maple Custom Vintage (23pc in total) | 12pc PDP X7 | 9pc Ludwig Jr. | 8pc Pork Pie ZebraWood | 6pc Sonor | 4pc Ddrum Dominion | 5pc Orbitone |4pc Sonor Martini | 50 Snare drums and growing!

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    oh yes MANY of them I have never changed. But some come with such crappy wires or I've broken several over the years that I have changed out many also.

    Yeah a lot of it is truly going to be personal preference.
    Like for me for instance, I love a 13x7 snare cranked to the max to cut through EVERYTHING.
    So I like the snappy 20-24 strand wire.
    Thanks for your thoughts!

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    These guys did a pretty comprehensive test of differnt snare wires.



    They also have other great content on the channel.
    Thanks for posting the video bongos! Very informative!

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    I like the Sabian Hybrids ( the one in the middle ) I put one one my Drum Craft 14X6 birch and I like it a lot, that was about 3yrs. ago. Until now they still don't make a 13". I don't think Sabian knows about 13" snare drums, LOL. Most of my snares are 13".
    Thanks for clarifying your choices! I’ll look into the Sabian wires for a few of my 14” snares. I’m really liking the sound from a 13” snare. I used a 13” Tama Omar Hakim signature last year and like the response I got so now you guys have me on the hunt. The 7x13” G maple SPL Tama looks and sounds awesome!

  15. #15

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    When i was in the metal band i was breaking wires all the time... granted i was probably using the cheapest wires.. (snappy wires) because the pricey ones broke too. But in RDM i haven't had one break in a long time.. i do think wires last longer on Pearl ff drums though with the ends extended off the head.

    I also use long cloth straps on the ends of snares on all my drums. Can't stand those plastic things and string is too finicky for me.

    I use my ff most of the time and buy the Pearl brand. I think i have Tama wires on my other snares.
    Last edited by slinky; 03-09-2019 at 07:31 AM.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  16. #16

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Rocket science!!! I do love it when we get to rocket science.

    I applied what I learned in this video to going to the supermarket to get, among other things, TP. Having gone through the over/under wars, which I don't think have ever been really decided as to which way to go. I solved the problem by having the TP vertical. By having it vertical, if, when you are done, the paper left hanging is towards the seat, I call that over. If it falls towards the wall, I call that under. If it doesn't fall in either direction, I call that a empty role.

    Being as I had to get some anyway, I figured it would try different types of TP. 1 ply, which right off the bat has no articulation at all and lacks that sound that carries downstairs like Archie Bunker or down the hall so that your kid can tune his guitar to E-A-D-G-B-E. Getting that high E usually necessitates the use of a corn cob. The biggest problem is when you make that 1st swipe, your fingers are usually through the TP making 1 wonder why 1 bought that 1ply at all.

    I then tried 2 ply. There was no articulation and minimum sustain, BUT, it did let you have 2 swipes before your fingers went through. You can fold it and have 4 plies, which will get rid of the fingers problem but leaves you with without that fat sound and no sustain at all.

    You can go to 6 or more plies, but then you are going into the plies usually found on truck tires. That will require a larger bathroom or a outhouse which are fine in Florida but not so good in Canada in December.

    Now to the problem at hand. IMHO, stay between 16 and 20 snare wires and spend some time putzin' with the tuning. In the end, nobody in the crowd (1 hopes 1 has a crowd) will notice and no 1 will approach you to ask how many snares are on a given snare drum.

    I would rather have people tell me they liked how I played that night and the snare wires you use cease to become important, and, no matter what you do, IT'S STILL GOING TO SOUND LIKE A SNARE DRUM.

    The equation for all that is as follows: Blondes = Money+ a Lambo + a house on Malibu Beach Squared, and 20 strand wires.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 03-10-2019 at 04:28 AM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  17. #17

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    On my 4 snare's (Tama 7x13 SLP G-Maple, Tama 6x14 Starphonic Brass, Black Panther 7x13 Blaster & Yamaha 6.5x14 Stage Custom Steel) I have 30 strand Puresound's & couldn't be happier. Work brilliantly on all
    The Varukers.

  18. #18

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?


  19. #19

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Rick....If you ever own a cat, I highly recommend going the “toilet paper under” route. Once they figure out they can paw at the roll like a hamster wheel and unwind a complete roll in minutes, it becomes a fun game for them when they’re home alone and bored.
    Nothing worse than trying to “complete your mission” with a handful of shredded toilet paper.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  20. #20

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Rick is soooo right! All my snares have 16 and/or 20!. . . . .that's it!
    Last edited by drummerMD; 03-10-2019 at 12:17 AM.

  21. #21

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Rick is soooo right! All my snares have 16 and/or 20!. . . . .that's it!
    DMD, that's all you need.

    Quote Originally Posted by Olimpass View Post
    He made a mistake in his calculations. The rocket will get off the ground and top speed will be the speed of molasses going uphill in the middle of the winter. If he's planning on going anyplace other than next door, he better pack a lunch.

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Rick....If you ever own a cat, I highly recommend going the “toilet paper under” route. Once they figure out they can paw at the roll like a hamster wheel and unwind a complete roll in minutes, it becomes a fun game for them when they’re home alone and bored.
    Nothing worse than trying to “complete your mission” with a handful of shredded toilet paper.
    Brian, I'm not a cat person, my sister handles that department.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  22. #22

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Rocket science!!! I do love it when we get to rocket science.

    I applied what I learned in this video to going to the supermarket to get, among other things, TP. Having gone through the over/under wars, which I don't think have ever been really decided as to which way to go. I solved the problem by having the TP vertical. By having it vertical, if, when you are done, the paper left hanging is towards the seat, I call that over. If it falls towards the wall, I call that under. If it doesn't fall in either direction, I call that a empty role.

    Being as I had to get some anyway, I figured it would try different types of TP. 1 ply, which right off the bat has no articulation at all and lacks that sound that carries downstairs like Archie Bunker or down the hall so that your kid can tune his guitar to E-A-D-G-B-E. Getting that high E usually necessitates the use of a corn cob. The biggest problem is when you make that 1st swipe, your fingers are usually through the TP making 1 wonder why 1 bought that 1ply at all.

    I then tried 2 ply. There was no articulation and minimum sustain, BUT, it did let you have 2 swipes before your fingers went through. You can fold it and have 4 plies, which will get rid of the fingers problem but leaves you with without that fat sound and no sustain at all.

    You can go to 6 or more plies, but then you are going into the plies usually found on truck tires. That will require a larger bathroom or a outhouse which are fine in Florida but not so good in Canada in December.

    Now to the problem at hand. IMHO, stay between 16 and 20 snare wires and spend some time putzin' with the tuning. In the end, nobody in the crowd (1 hopes 1 has a crowd) will notice and no 1 will approach you to ask how many snares are on a given snare drum.

    I would rather have people tell me they liked how I played that night and the snare wires you use cease to become important, and, no matter what you do, IT'S STILL GOING TO SOUND LIKE A SNARE DRUM.

    The equation for all that is as follows: Blondes = Money+ a Lambo + a house on Malibu Beach Squared, and 20 strand wires.
    Lol i free roll it myself... i usually wad up 3 stretches of paper per wipe
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  23. #23

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    I had frequently been skeptical about the really small, minute differences a new piece of drum gear could make in a drum and how they claim it will make a 'world' of difference. I used to be more cynical but after many years of seeing how some of these things work (for example isolation mounts or shells having a predetermined pitch), and work together, I now have a much greater appreciation for the subtleties. This has been an informative thread. I'm old enough to remember when no one would even think of doing something different with the snare wires.
    - Tom

    See the new Drum Bum Store!





    When you shop at Drum Bum or BuyGifts.com, you help with the costs of operating DrumChat.com. Please consider patronizing their fine stores. Whether you need unique music gifts for friends or just want a little something for yourself, Drum Bum is the place!

    For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

    Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

  24. #24

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I had frequently been skeptical about the really small, minute differences a new piece of drum gear could make in a drum and how they claim it will make a 'world' of difference. I used to be more cynical but after many years of seeing how some of these things work (for example isolation mounts or shells having a predetermined pitch), and work together, I now have a much greater appreciation for the subtleties. This has been an informative thread. I'm old enough to remember when no one would even think of doing something different with the snare wires.
    Tom, I have isolation mounts on my Pearls and I have yet to hear what they really do as opposed to what other drummers say they do. The tom mounts on the Pearls SUCK BIG TIME. I have been kicking the idea around about doing a re-wrap on the Pearls just so I can re-drill holes for a different mount set up. The isolation mounts would go because whatever I put on is not going to accommodate them.

    Tuning to a certain pitch. If I had a drum that has a C pitch to it, does that mean I'm screwed if I want a D#. I don't want the C because it doesn't fit with the rest of my drums.

    Snare wires. I did buy a long time ago a set of Puresound snare wires. The difference in the sound I had with the old wires compared to the new snares was nil.

    My drums have 6 toms, 3 of which are made of different wood. I seriously doubt that anyone could tell the difference.

    So we are down to hype. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, "If you build it, fools will buy it, and then swear that there is a difference in the sound so great that it can be heard in Eastern Europa.

    TUNE YOUR DAMN DRUMS AND THE PROBLEM (IF THERE WAS I TO BEGIN WITH) WILL BE RESOLVED.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  25. #25

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Snare wires. I did buy a long time ago a set of Puresound snare wires. The difference in the sound I had with the old wires compared to the new snares was nil.
    My drums have 6 toms, 3 of which are made of different wood. I seriously doubt that anyone could tell the difference.
    So we are down to hype. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, "If you build it, fools will buy it, and then swear that there is a difference in the sound so great that it can be heard in Eastern Europa.
    LOL !
    I rebuilt an old 1964 Slingy 3-ply snare and I put Puresound snare wires on it because that is all my local GC had in stock that day.
    They sure sound like snare wires to me.
    I have a birch kit and I have a vintage maple kit -- the birch have a (sharp) sound that is not as warm (to my ears).............I doubt others can tell much difference.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •