Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Your choice for snare wires?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Your choice for snare wires?

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    LOL !
    I rebuilt an old 1964 Slingy 3-ply snare and I put Puresound snare wires on it because that is all my local GC had in stock that day.
    They sure sound like snare wires to me.
    I have a birch kit and I have a vintage maple kit -- the birch have a (sharp) sound that is not as warm (to my ears).............I doubt others can tell much difference.
    The snare wire that broke on your snare recently...Puresound or a stock OEM snare wire? The last snare wire I broke was OEM as I recall but my Puresound wires have held up so far. I can't tell with my ears between the differences between either but I assume an aftermarket product could be made with better materials?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Tom, I have isolation mounts on my Pearls and I have yet to hear what they really do as opposed to what other drummers say they do.
    Trust me, they work. I A/B tested numerous times and did a lot of experimentation back in the day.

Tuning to a certain pitch. If I had a drum that has a C pitch to it, does that mean I'm screwed if I want a D#. I don't want the C because it doesn't fit with the rest of my drums.
    It's not as much about tuning to a certain pitch than it is about pitch range and what the drum will be able to produce based on its default wood pitch.

Snare wires. I did buy a long time ago a set of Puresound snare wires. The difference in the sound I had with the old wires compared to the new snares was nil.
    I haven't done enough testing with wires as I never felt the need to change from standard but since I learned from the shell pitches and isolation mounts, I'm less cynical these days.

My drums have 6 toms, 3 of which are made of different wood. I seriously doubt that anyone could tell the difference.
    Its debatable but I won't be the one to argue with you about it, lol.

So we are down to hype. To paraphrase Field of Dreams, "If you build it, fools will buy it, and then swear that there is a difference in the sound so great that it can be heard in Eastern Europa.
    I disagree that it's all hype but yeah, that quote does have some truth to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Trust me, they work. I A/B tested numerous times and did a lot of experimentation back in the day.

Tom, They work because you knew when they were on a given drum and when they were not. The test that was done on you tube years ago and has been mentioned by me numerous times. Bottom line: When the "experts" couldn't see them, they couldn't tell. I also did a lot of experimentation back in the day, just not with drums.

It's not as much about tuning to a certain pitch than it is about pitch range and what the drum will be able to produce based on its default wood pitch.

In other words, tune the damn drum, preferably with heads on it and not tapping on the drum like I've see a few guys do. For some reason, I assume they are being paid to tap on the sides of various drums. Nice work if you can get it.

I haven't done enough testing with wires as I never felt the need to change from standard but since I learned from the shell pitches and isolation mounts, I'm less cynical these days.

Don't waste your time testing snare wires. If you come down from behind your drums and someone asks you if you have 16 or 20 snare wires on you snare drum, mark that day down because you would be the 1st.

Its debatable but I won't be the one to argue with you about it, lol.

I doubt if there is anyone on DC who could tell the difference.

I disagree that it's all hype but yeah, that quote does have some truth to it.
    OK, it's not all hype...............................BUT............ ...............................95% of it is.

I have been playing these damn fool things since 1956, and the 1 thing that stands out after all the years is: THEY STILL SOUND LIKE DRUMS!!!!!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    The snare wire that broke on your snare recently...Puresound or a stock OEM snare wire?
    It was OEM Gretsch 42-strand on the USA bronze.
    However, I think I broke the wire from the way I had put it in a transport case for a gig.
    I fixed it as suggested here by you and others -- checked it just a few days ago and all is well.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Short of being careless, how in the hell do you break those wires??

My Black Beauty SS was bought somewhere in the early '70's, still has the original wires. My DynaSonic, as far as I can tell, the wires are original. I have no idea how old the Dyna Sonic is, nor do I care. My Acrolite, still original wires, and I'm pretty sure that it's out of the '70's. The Supralite was new in the box, I don't think I ever looked at the wires. The Black Magic is only about 3 years old, so too new to tell, but they are the original wires. The Black Panther sit's under my pool table with maybe 2 hours playing time on it so the wires are obviously new.

I've never have broken wires, so I don't know how it's done.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I can’t say I’ve ever broken a set of wires, or actually even a head...or a cymbal that I recall. I guess I must not be a hard hitter...or lucky.
    It’s the same with vehicles. I can buy a car with 130k miles and drive it another 150k with nothing but regular oil changes. If I buy a my wife a car with 35k miles, it’s junk within 15k or 2 years, whichever comes first. All she has to do is sit in a car and parts start falling off.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I can’t say I’ve ever broken a set of wires, or actually even a head...or a cymbal that I recall. I guess I must not be a hard hitter...or lucky.
    It’s the same with vehicles. I can buy a car with 130k miles and drive it another 150k with nothing but regular oil changes. If I buy a my wife a car with 35k miles, it’s junk within 15k or 2 years, whichever comes first. All she has to do is sit in a car and parts start falling off.
    That's why I never let either of my wives drive my cars. I can't think of anytime I broke a head, but if I did it was when I was a teen. As for the cymbal. I was watching Buddy tonight and realized that I do what he did. If you watch him, 90% of the time he hits the cymbal and then instead of driving through the cymbal, he lets his wrists relax and lets the stick bounce back from the cymbal or he would hit the cymbal and just let his wrists relax. I've rarely, if ever, seen him drive through a cymbal. All the things that he did that I tried to pick up consciously , I probably just picked that up without thinking about it.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Short of being careless, how in the hell do you break those wires??
    I hear you -- as the owner of many snare drums over 50 years, this is a first for me (exactly why I came here to ask before I made a mistake on the fix).

I have an anvil road case that is approximately 15"D X 36"W X 15"H.................on four wheels.
    I use this case to transport my small floor tom, my rack tom, and my snare drum.
    Inside this case, the space is divided into three areas.............for the two toms, each area is almost a perfect fit -- no worries.
    For the snare drum, there is an excess space of about 2 inches and I use a towel to eliminate any allowance for movement.
    At some point I stupidly stuffed the towel down on the snare side; any other snare would have not been a problem but this snare has a 42-strand set of wires and I must have snagged the very last one...................lesson learned................always put the towel on the batter side..............duh !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

That's why I never let either of my wives drive my cars. I can't think of anytime I broke a head, but if I did it was when I was a teen. As for the cymbal. I was watching Buddy tonight and realized that I do what he did. If you watch him, 90% of the time he hits the cymbal and then instead of driving through the cymbal, he lets his wrists relax and lets the stick bounce back from the cymbal or he would hit the cymbal and just let his wrists relax. I've rarely, if ever, seen him drive through a cymbal. All the things that he did that I tried to pick up consciously , I probably just picked that up without thinking about it.
    I never thought of that. I hit my cymbals pretty hard; they’re all Wuhans and fairly thin. You need to punish them to get the volume. BUT, I kinda do the same. I hit ‘em hard, but as soon as contact is made, I stop. I never drive through the cymbal. It must work, because I have 5-6 years worth of gigging on Wuhans and they’re still like new.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham