Thread: Putting Holes in Cymbals?

User Info Menu

Default Putting Holes in Cymbals?

I'm considering 'experimenting' with a crash to make it an 'o-zone' style crash, and wanted to know whether anyone knows something about drilling cymbals and how that affects the sound?

So, since I want to achieve maximum 'trashiness', I have some questions:
    Is it better to drill many small holes, or fewer large holes?
    For maximum trashiness, where should the holes be on the cymbal, near the bell or nearer to the edge?
    And are thinner or thicker cymbals better for achieving a trashy sound?

I've never done something like this before, so t'would be nice if someone who knows what they're talking about could chime in!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Putting Holes in Cymbals?

I did it a couple years ago with excellent results. Here’s a link to the thread;

https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....ht=Wuhan+ozone

In the case of the Wuhan, it actually made it sound LESS trashy.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

To answer your other questions, the “trashy” sound is a result of overtones. Typically, the thicker a cymbal is, the dryer the sound, so a thinner cymbal would be what you’re after. As far as the holes, there are laws of Physics that apply...but your best bet is to just experiment.
    My 14” Wuhan Thin was extremely trashy as it was. Drilling the holes actually took away the nasty overtones and vastly improved it. It now sounds like a very glassy and smooth China.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I did it a couple years ago with excellent results. Here’s a link to the thread;

https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....ht=Wuhan+ozone

In the case of the Wuhan, it actually made it sound LESS trashy.
    Just looked up the thread.
    Cymbal looks great! I was planning to do the same but with a larger (2" Hole saw) and a larger cymbal.

User Info Menu

yeah I've done a bunch of hole cutting.
    i found 1" holes and around 6 or 8 was the best.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1Drumz View Post
    I'm considering 'experimenting' with a crash to make it an 'o-zone' style crash, and wanted to know whether anyone knows something about drilling cymbals and how that affects the sound?

So, since I want to achieve maximum 'trashiness', I have some questions:
    Is it better to drill many small holes, or fewer large holes?
    For maximum trashiness, where should the holes be on the cymbal, near the bell or nearer to the edge?
    And are thinner or thicker cymbals better for achieving a trashy sound?

I've never done something like this before, so t'would be nice if someone who knows what they're talking about could chime in!
    Dude....start with a pilot hole so the bit won't walk all over your cymbal as you start drilling and keep the bit generously lubed.

User Info Menu

I’m thinking about doing something like this too, but I’m debating on the hole size and pattern. I have an “extra” A custom 18” crash that doesn’t get much use.

I’m thinking I’ll make it like the HHX evolution, with eight holes, two inches in diameter. Or something like the K Special Dry, which uses alternating rows of what look like 1” and 1/2” holes.

Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    I’m thinking about doing something like this too, but I’m debating on the hole size and pattern. I have an “extra” A custom 18” crash that doesn’t get much use.

I’m thinking I’ll make it like the HHX evolution, with eight holes, two inches in diameter. Or something like the K Special Dry, which uses alternating rows of what look like 1” and 1/2” holes.

Any suggestions?
    Maybe try it out with a cheaper cymbal first.

I'm certainly am not going to use any of my Paiste 2000s to experiment until I have done some experiment with some cheeper Brass, B8 and nickel silver cymbals.

User Info Menu

I only paid $80 for the cymbal, so I won’t be too upset if it doesn’t work out. Seeing how a new one sells for $280, I can’t go that wrong with it if it all works out.