Thread: E-kits That Look Like Conventional Drums

User Info Menu

Default E-kits That Look Like Conventional Drums

The lead singer in my band went with me last Friday night to check out a new band that is playing at the good club we play.
    Weird set up:
    Eight (8) people in this band -- drummer, secondary percussion, bass, keyboard, chick singer, and 3 guitars;
    No amps and no monitor speakers on stage -- IEM and all instruments going through the house PA (including the e-kit);
    This e-kit looked like conventional shells (the cymbals, of course, were clearly not conventional);
    The house soundman told me they were expensive and made in Germany.

I tried to find them on the web today -- the closest thing I found was made in the UK and called Jobecky............anyone here familiar ?

Our overall impression of this band was that they had some good members (esp. vocals) but the sound was like it was under a super compressor; nothing sounded normal.
    They played rock but it sounded neutered................it had no thump and drive................the volume was so low that I could hear the drummer hit the crash e-cymbal (like your stick hitting the rubber disc) even though they were in the middle of the song.
    My band uses good old-school gear: Gibson, Marshall, Fender, Gretsch, Sennheiser, Zildjian...............and it sounds like it.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: E-kits That Look Like Conventional Drums

oh man that would be weird.
    I know Trivium plays through PA only EXCEPT the drummer!

User Info Menu

Checked out that website. Looks like what a lot of other companies are doing , as far as mounting piezo triggers under mesh heads.

It also looks like they are just using other companies’ drum modules. The lousy sound and mix had to be from the front of house not mixing the drums loud enough, and/or a low quality sound source.

User Info Menu

Drum center has kits called ATV and man they are awesome. I almost bought a kit last year.. seem to be the best of both worlds, Normal drum sizes but electronic and they sound and feel great to play.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

that ATV looks pretty nice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    that ATV looks pretty nice
    yeah they are, I played one for about 35 minutes and there was not much I could say negative about it.. Even the cymbals were better than any Roland or Yamaha cymbal I ever hit. The only negative was the sound module only had like 12 kits in it but honestly how many do you really need? The sound was on par if even a little better than a roland TD-50 module it just does not have 200 kits on it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Back in the 80s -- when we were all so curious about the improvement in e-kits (before then it was all Simmons; then Yamaha and others got involved), I bought some and played them for quite a few years in a pop band. It takes power and good speakers to drive the bass drums with a good thump; we devoted a Peavy 800 to my kit.
    The best thing about it was the ease in set-up and tear down but I got tired of the feel...............and dynamics were zero.
    When I got back to my acoustic drum sets, I vowed to never again go the e-kit route.............I've still got it in a storage unit...............30 something years old.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I had to remove two commercial links. The rules have not changed here guys.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Eight (8) people in this band -- drummer, secondary percussion, bass, keyboard, chick singer, and 3 guitars;
    No amps and no monitor speakers on stage -- IEM and all instruments going through the house PA (including the e-kit);
    That's cool man. The band Garbage was known for running no amps or stage monitors. From what I read, they had a completely silent stage.

GarbageAsHeavenIsWideManchester.jpg

IMHO, ATV's they dont look too bad:

Last edited by late8; 02-19-2019 at 02:26 PM.

User Info Menu

Hey Rich..............

I had to laugh and tell my singer that they don't have monitors and amps because 8 people take up all the stage footage................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    Hey Rich..............

I had to laugh and tell my singer that they don't have monitors and amps because 8 people take up all the stage footage................
    haha!