Thread: Newbie :D

User Info Menu

Default Newbie :D

Hey all...Im new
    A bit about me:
    Im 15,around 6 ft tall(not that thats really important)
    Call me Fox
    Im literallly just starting to drum,gunna teach myself,i ordered a pretty shoddy Cannon adder kit,like the basic of basic starter kits for £200.But the people messed up the order so now im getting a Mapex QR series with zildjian planet cymbal pack.Originally a special deal at £400,but now im getting a special special deal because of the mistake and getting them for £300 free delivery:DThere arriving friday the 20th,cant wait!Im basically interested in rock drumming and would love to one day be able to play some good double bass.I dont have much physical inspiration except a good friend of mine whos not bad. While ive been waiting for my account to be accpeted i took a look around the forums, and saw what genuinely nice and helpful users u guys are. I thought itd be a good idea to ask for ur top 5 drumming tips?Also some help on how to get a signature. Ill get pictures of my kit up when there arrived and set up.

Thanks

Fox
    Last edited by Fox; 12-13-2007 at 01:25 PM.

User Info Menu

good to have you with the forum Fox Welcome!

User Info Menu

Thanks any tips on good ways to start,maybe some little beats i can learn?
    Also how to get my sig pic the right size lol?
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

Cymbals:paiste 101 14" hats,16" crash and 20" ride.Paiste 2002 18" medium crash

DW7000 double pedal

Favourite drummer: Chris Adler http://youtube.com/watch?v=hHl4I5E78Wg

Favourite band: Lamb of God

Favourite song: Now youve got something to die for- Lamb of god.

User Info Menu

Hi Fox, welcome to the forum. You will get plenty of help on here. Here are some tips;

1. Take your time and dont expect to learn everything immediately. Many beats and fills etc take years of patience and development.
    2. Always start off learning something new at a slow speed. Remember, if you cant play it slow, you wont be able to play it fast
    3. Purchase a metronome ( time keeping instrument )...it is very important for a drummer to have a sense of time.
    4. Play along to music that you like...since you like rock, bands like ACDC, KISS etc are great to play along too and provide fairly straight forward beats.
    5. Listen to music alot and concentrate on what the drummer and other musicians are doing in different parts of the song..listen to how the instruments blend in together.

Ok here is another;

6. Practice and learn some rudiments. These can eventually be applied around the kit and will develop technique and endurance.
    7. Last but not least...HAVE FUN

oh, also, Practice, practice and more practice!

Ask as many questions as you like, there are plenty of experienced and very helpful drummers on here...

good luck

you should be able to get a signature happening in your account section...have a look around, its there somewhere

User Info Menu

Hi Fox, i'm a new member too.
    I would recomend you to start with a teacher because the first steps are very important. You must start from the basics

User Info Menu

Welcome aboard Fox

User Info Menu

Welcome newbie fox :D It would be better if you get a teacher but if you really wanna teach yourself, just learn on some basic stuff on Youtube. I also recommend the DVD: Getting Started ON Drums by Tommy Igoe. It teaches you how to set up your kit, proper hand technique, how to hold sticks properly and some basic grooves.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool Newbie :D

Hey, fox, welcome aboard, mate!

(From the pound signs, I take it you're from England, btw...)

You'll find plenty of advice from people in all stages of learning...and livewire gave you some good suggestions.

While I'm sure you'll learn a lot of things on your own, I'd recommend you get a teacher as saturn suggests. A teacher will point you in the right direction so you don't learn a lot of bad stuff that the teacher will have to have you "unlearn."

I'm mainly a hand drummer, but I started on set because I wanted to learn the rudiments, and that helped me on both set and hand drums...

P.S.--Click on "User CP", which will take you to the place where you can edit your profile, including putting in your av (the avatar or picture you'll see on many of our members' notes) and your signature... you can pick out an avatar from what's available or put your drumkit or mug shot up there (kinda like the menacing-looking bloke you see here )...

Again, welcome aboard...once you get started, you'll want to
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Fox. Livewire gave you some very sound advice to start with, and those that have recommended a teacher have given you good advice too, although if cost is a factor, there are others in here that have progressed without a teacher. Personally, since I am learning and working full time, I found that the teacher helped me to be accountable in my practice. Can't be too tired to practice when the teacher will want to see what you learned.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Welcome Fox! You are definately amongst friends here. Good times and bad, there are a great bunch of folks within the virtual walls of DrumChat. Everything you've already seen above is great advice but the absolutely most important... more important above all else is...

Practice, practice, practice and when your done, practice some more!

Start out with a good foundation. Learn your rudiments. Learn to read (drum) music (it's tough to learn a new beat if you don't know the difference between a quarter note, eighth note or a sixteenth note). Practice smart not hard. It's more important to learn and do then do first (especially if it's being done wrong). Good luck and welcome aboard!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

Shazane Guest

Welcome, Fox. Tell us more about the music you listen to, what kind of rock or metal, and what are your favorite bands?

User Info Menu

Heyya fox, I was self tuaght for 2 years, then I started haveing lessons. I thought I was doing everything right, but make sure you hold your sticks correctly because I've got into bad habits of holding my sticks wrong, my teacher has to tell me everyweek that I need to look at my sticking. Trust me it will help in the long run just to take the extra time to make sure your doing everything right.

User Info Menu

Thanks for the replies all
    I do actually all ready know the basics,stick holding ect.
    And i spoke to a friend who has kindly agree'd to giving me lessons regulary,free of charge. Thanks for all the great tips,i'll take them all into account.
    Im trying to get a pic of my kit up which ive c/p'd from google as i wont have the kit until the wednesday of next week.Im having problems getting the pic small enough though,any suggestions?

Thanks again
    Fox

Edit: I've sorted the pic problem,there it is
    Last edited by Fox; 12-15-2007 at 08:33 AM.
    Kit: Mapex QR: 12x9 and 13x10 rack toms,16x16 floor tom,22x16 bass and 14x5.5 snare.

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

My tip would be to first of all learn correct technique. When you have the basics down, just play. Itll come if you persevere.

User Info Menu

ok, Thanks dude

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

Your welcome.

User Info Menu

welcome to drum chat fox and enjoy playing drum

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    welcome to drum chat fox and enjoy playing drum
    I reckon he plays more than one drum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    ROFLOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by vinnysimmo View Post
    LOL Vinny, you are the one liner king on this forum, you certainly crack me up
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

this is weird, you are exactly what i was in june, and im 15 and about 6 ft tall, and a beginner too.

User Info Menu

The kit in your avatar is beautiful Fox. Who's the manufactuer, and is that an oyster shell wrap?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Its the mapex QR kit im getting on wednesday,not in that colour though :( i wanted that one which is called "peac ock swirl". The company i got it from only had "angel wing" which is like a sparkly silver/white. This is the mapex site with the specs and colours of the kit http://www.mapexdrums.com/drums/qr/index.html
    Dosent bother really though,s'all about the learning and fun

Fox
    Last edited by drummer; 12-17-2007 at 08:50 PM.

DW7000 double pedal

User Info Menu

:D my kits here and its awesome!!!!
    Been playing for ages,my wrists hurt lol
    got the very basics nailed:D
    pictures up shortly

Fox

DW7000 double pedal