Thread: Raffles for likes? Need opinions please.

User Info Menu

Default Raffles for likes? Need opinions please.

OK need some honest opinions. We are a 5pc cover band. Bass player is suggesting we give away $50 gift card to someone who likes our page in a raffle type drawing in an effort to get more people to like our page. The end game being we can start charging more for gigs. We already average $500 but have heard of a few bands getting $700..My thoughts are it is cheesy and seems desperate but now that I expressed it he seems a little offended. What are your thoughts?

He is a very successful business owner so I am not doubting his expertise in this area but I am just not sure it relates to a local cover band of 50 somethings who are weekend warriors, especially when the end game is only another $50 tops per man if your lucky. IMO the best way to get more people to come see you is to put on a good show and let it happen by word of mouth but maybe I am wrong. BTW we have around 260 likes on the fb page now and if I am being honest we have maybe 3 - 5 people who have no relations to anyone in the band that show up from time to time, everyone else is either friends or relatives of one of the members and or was already in the establishment when we started playing.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Raffles for likes? Need opinions please.

That whole FB “likes” thing is not entirely relevant when it comes to drawing a crowd. It’s more about how many people are associated/friends with the band members.
    Our page has 400 likes, but at least half are from people who never even leave their house. It does help get the advertisements out...but that still doesn’t correlate to much. Some of our gig posts get almost 2K views, but it has never had enough effect on turnout to matter much.

I agree; you can’t “buy” a following...the BEST way to increase your following is by exposure and word of mouth. Being able to get your foot in the door at a prominent venue is key.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

save your $50 gift card.
    If you really want to use Facebook do the buy in for FB to advertise to you.
    We are getting hundreds and even thousands of hits on our promos.
    And so far it is truly working because both of our FIRST TWO SHOWS have been should to should packed.
    No new band should be able to pack it in like that, I was mind blown.
    But we are using the facebook advertising and it literally throws our add to everyone in the local area who have any of the same interests.

Getting people to like your page won't get them to come to a show.
    Especially not for a $50 giftcard raffle

User Info Menu

"IMO the best way to get more people to come see you is to put on a good show and let it happen by word of mouth but maybe I am wrong."

No, MDK, you are not wrong. You have to put on a good show and build a good rapport with the people. We had no internet, no FB, nothing compared to what bands have at their disposal now. So why did we get people to drive 60+ miles to see us in south Jersey when they could of walked to a bar/club that had a band in our home town. We were good, and the only thing we had going was word of mouth and we gave the people a good show.

Take as many requests as you can. You can't do them all, but do as many as you can. DO NOT have your set list carved in stone. You must be able to read a crowd and read them fast and adjust you set list accordingly.

This pay to play stuff is a bunch of BS. So is this "mosh things", or when the singer throws himself into the crown, to me and probably most of the people of my generation look at that stuff as "stupid people tricks".

For the record, we were making $700 a night in '74. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Watered down talent, that's what happened, like the NHL, too many teams! Now everybody's in a band, they're not that good, bars hire them , bars find out they're crap, and bar owners paint everyone with the same brush, the crap brush....

User Info Menu

We play the best club in town 5 times per year; the bar manager can pick the bands he wants from a long list of musicians yearning to play there.
    Supply is much greater than demand.
    He does not pay the bands the same amounts -- we are one of the bands he likes enough to get the top amount of pay.
    He pays us this amount because the bar revenue is high every night we play there; he could care less about who likes our page.
    He has told me on many occasions that he loves the type of crowd that we draw.
    And my reply is this.............."do you mean the over-35 crowd that has plenty of disposable income ?"
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "IMO the best way to get more people to come see you is to put on a good show and let it happen by word of mouth but maybe I am wrong."

No, MDK, you are not wrong. You have to put on a good show and build a good rapport with the people. We had no internet, no FB, nothing compared to what bands have at their disposal now. So why did we get people to drive 60+ miles to see us in south Jersey when they could of walked to a bar/club that had a band in our home town. We were good, and the only thing we had going was word of mouth and we gave the people a good show.

Take as many requests as you can. You can't do them all, but do as many as you can. DO NOT have your set list carved in stone. You must be able to read a crowd and read them fast and adjust you set list accordingly.

This pay to play stuff is a bunch of BS. So is this "mosh things", or when the singer throws himself into the crown, to me and probably most of the people of my generation look at that stuff as "stupid people tricks".

For the record, we were making $700 a night in '74. WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED???????
    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    We play the best club in town 5 times per year; the bar manager can pick the bands he wants from a long list of musicians yearning to play there.
    Supply is much greater than demand.
    He does not pay the bands the same amounts -- we are one of the bands he likes enough to get the top amount of pay.
    He pays us this amount because the bar revenue is high every night we play there; he could care less about who likes our page.
    He has told me on many occasions that he loves the type of crowd that we draw.
    And my reply is this.............."do you mean the over-35 crowd that has plenty of disposable income ?"
    Spot on with this guys! It's what a band can do for the venue and how their performance can entertain and add to the atmosphere for their patrons. FB likes and be contrived just like Google and Yelp reviews in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Oh I agree FB likes are not the be all end all but alot of establishments (especially ones who dont know you) seem to use how many likes you have and how many followers to gauge whether or not it will be cost effective to hire you? To a fellow musician we know it means squat but to an outsider looking to make some money it means alot even if it is a false sense of security so to speak.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Oh I agree FB likes are not the be all end all but alot of establishments (especially ones who dont know you) seem to use how many likes you have and how many followers to gauge whether or not it will be cost effective to hire you? To a fellow musician we know it means squat but to an outsider looking to make some money it means alot even if it is a false sense of security so to speak.
    MDK, there are people out there that will hit like or dislike because they have nothing better to do. There are morons that spend so much time on FB that they have no social life. It made that guy a billionaire and made a large segment of the population complete morons. People check FB before they have dinner then have to jump back on it out of fear that, G_O_D forbid, they missed something.

I have no idea how people brought up in the '50's, '60's, '70's, and '80's survived without this BS and the idiots that text and drive. I am supposedly 1 of the last people in the world with a land line.

I'm trying to figure out when so many people became self important that they have to be in contact with the rest of the world 24/7.

MDK, if your band is good, word of mouth will suffice. If it isn't, then all the scientific marvels in the world won't make it better. (I've heard your band, it's good, so don't worry about that part)

To paraphrase "Field of Dreams, If you are good, they will come".

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I also agree with the posters above who say that (1) reputation and word of mouth will keep the people coming back for more, (2) you've got to play to and read the crowd to keep them engaged, and (3) the money will directly reflect your ability to do that. This has been my experience anyway ...

A band that I was involved in recently could consistently pack clubs of all sizes to the gills and it didn't even have a social media presence at all ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 02-20-2019 at 06:55 PM.

User Info Menu

I am supposedly 1 of the last people in the world with a land line.
    So am I ... it's getting to be somewhat of an exclusive club ...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dangermoney View Post
    So am I ... it's getting to be somewhat of an exclusive club ...
    1 step up from a couple of cans and a lot of string.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

If the venue makes money, you’ll get gigs...even if your show sucks. Sadly, I know awesome bands that don’t draw a crowd and bands that put out total crap from a musical perspective that pack places. One in particular drives me crazy. It’s a duo cover “band”. One guy plays acoustic rhythm (strums chords) and sings, the other just plays leads on electric and “sings” backup vocals into a harmonizer. They use a drum machine, loops and a vocal harmonizer for vocals. They completely butcher songs...and every song sounds the same. I can’t stand to listen to more than 10 minutes. BUT....they book more gigs than any other band around and always draw a crowd....Why? Because they play (butcher) top-40 radio songs that everyone knows and every song has the same drum-machine dance club beat. No shuffles, no Swing, no complicated bridges or chords. Just a straight 4/4 or 2/4 beat, 3 chords and fake harmonies. People eat it up. They dance and drink, and the bar makes money. The guys charge $300 and walk away with $150 each. The bar owners make so much money, they’ll book them instead of paying $500 for a quality (real) band.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Unfortunately, many venues will not hire a band unless they have a certain minimum number of "likes" on FB. Totally irrelevant IMHO as many of those "likes" are people that will never ever come to one of the gigs. It is what it is however. Seems like the magic number for some venues around here is 1000. If that is how the game is played where you are as well, then you need to find ways to get those "likes". A raffle is not one of them I don't think. Like many have said here before, building a following requires playing out....kicking arse.....putting on the best shows that you possible can.....word will get out and BOOM.......you get your likes. As opposed to a raffle, I think if you posted your band's FB page link on this forum and asked for likes you'd do much better. It's a lot of work to build up a following, but, it's worth it if it is what you like to do. Little sh*tty weekend warrior band I started a year ago in March is up to about 825 FB "likes" and our weekly "reach" is almost 2000. We get anywhere from 50-150 people to our little gigs. Every once in a while we get to open for some national touring act and of course the turnouts are much larger. Those exposures are great opportunities to get more of those pesky "likes".

IMHO no gimmick or promotion you can put together beats gigging....putting on a good show......and delivering a product that the venue buyers like to build a following.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone, I conveyed my thoughts and while I think the bass player still thinks it's a good idea he may shelve it for now. Unfortunately only the Bass Player and I are the ones the really seem to care or put ideas out and everyone else just shrugs and says " dont care whatever you guys think is good with me" which really irks me but that's a whole other discussion over a glass or 2 of Johnny Blue ; )..

The lead singer did pipe in and say he thinks the best way is too be able to play well, and also to have enough material ready so you can read the audience and change up the song list a little on the fly if need be which we are far from doing at the moment. We decided to take 2 weeks and add 2 songs, "midnight train to memphis and One way out... we got together tuesday night and you can easily tell the Bass player and Lead guitar did not do much if any homework... so it goes. I believe we are not going to do the raffle but we will see when we get together next.. Probably time for a quick band meeting to discuss some things.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

In most places that I've been to, there is 1 club that is "the club" to play. Like Ricky said they play the best club in town. THAT'S THE PLACE YOU WANT TO PLAY.

For us, it was the Stone Pony. Springsteen started there and so did Bon Jovi. Those gigs can be the "make or break" gigs.

After the Pony, we never really had to "go looking for" gigs, they came to us (or I should say our management).

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

In most places that I've been to, there is 1 club that is "the club" to play. Like Ricky said they play the best club in town. THAT'S THE PLACE YOU WANT TO PLAY.

For us, it was the Stone Pony. Springsteen started there and so did Bon Jovi. Those gigs can be the "make or break" gigs.

After the Pony, we never really had to "go looking for" gigs, they came to us (or I should say our management).
    Nice, yeah there are 4 of those places around here and we have only played 1 so far but keep getting invited back. The other 3 places we cannot even get a response from, Yet!. We do not have a management Co. or do we do any originals. We are truly just a 5 50 something years olds out to play 2-3 weekends a month and have some fun and earn a little cash on the side.
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

User Info Menu

MDK, do you check out bands playing those venues, see what they are playing?

We played songs that no 1 else was playing. I don't mean all night long, you had to throw in the popular stuff of the day, (back in '72 '73 that meant that cover bands were, for the most part, playing a lot of songs from the mid to late '60'). We did MTH's Violence, James Gang's Tend my Garden, Delaney & Bonnies I don't want to discuss it. Songs that no other bands were doing.

It did get us noticed and bar/clubs that wouldn't talk to us early on, were now trying to book us.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

MDK, do you check out bands playing those venues, see what they are playing?

We played songs that no 1 else was playing. I don't mean all night long, you had to throw in the popular stuff of the day, (back in '72 '73 that meant that cover bands were, for the most part, playing a lot of songs from the mid to late '60'). We did MTH's Violence, James Gang's Tend my Garden, Delaney & Bonnies I don't want to discuss it. Songs that no other bands were doing.

It did get us noticed and bar/clubs that wouldn't talk to us early on, were now trying to book us.
    Good post Rick and a great idea about checking out the competition playing at the hot clubs around town. I still roadie for DamageDrummer's (former DC member) band and they've done their homework and provide a "theatrical" show by going the extra mile with a smoke machine, props and a remote controlled "Zombie Robot" that sits at the back of the stage and moves his head side to side as the band runs through their set. These guys keep getting asked to open for some pretty big national touring acts and it's all done by word of mouth and their reputation to bring in a crowd.

In my opinion masks and face paint, yet overdone, sets these guys apart from the "run of the mill" heavy metal band and they have a very loyal following without much of a social media presence.

User Info Menu

I am in 2 different bands. Both have members in their 50s(in fact 3 of us are in both bands), and the talent level is roughly the same. That is where the similarities end. One band plays a variety of music from the 60s to the present, doesn't play close to the original guitar leads or try to get the right sounds or have a particular look or strong stage presence and doesn't engage the audience much or expend a lot of energy during a performance.
    The other was formed originally in 1980, (reunited last year) plays a specific type of music(late 70s - early 80s Punk, New Wave and Dance Pop), plays close to if not note for note versions of the songs, wears stage clothes appropriate for the music and era, has lots of energy and gets the audience dancing and singing along.
    Both bands advertise and promote on social media, but band 1 which has been gigging for 5 years struggles to draw people and get repeat attendees beyond family, while band 2, playing out about 6 months since reuniting, consistently draws good crowds, has many repeat customers and new faces showing up every gig. It's all about the experience that the audience has at your gig. If they had fun dancing and singing all night, they will remember that and will be more than willing to spend a precious weekend night with you again. If they were bored and felt obligated to give a golf clap after each song, they will find another way to entertain themselves.
    It's all about how much effort a band is willing to put into their performance.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones: