Thread: new cymbal bag... not as expected

User Info Menu

Default new cymbal bag... not as expected

I finally got a new bag and I'm not too happy with it. It is a Tama PowerPad 22" bag. There is just not a lot I like about this bag. About the only things I can think of is it can hold my 3 crashes, 1 ride, hi-hats and the zippers work. Nothing near what I thought I was going to replace.

I will do this new vs old or Tama 22'' vs Skip's 22'' [manufacturer unknown]
    Late8 i'm sure knows where I bought my old one... it's been a great bag since the early 90's

Material wise the Tama is fine like my Skip's bag.. tough nylon shell good stitching and zippers, handles and shoulder strap.

Pockets.. Tama has a front pocket for hi-hats and efx cymbals and one horizontal pocket on the back. Skip's had 2 different sized pockets on the front and 1 diagonal stick bag pouch on the back. The front pockets were good for storage and the back as well.. didn't use it for my stick bag.

Insides.. Tama has 3 dividers which feel like nothing more than cardboard. The hats must go in the outside pocket which has 2 of the same cardboard dividers inside except the clutch has to come off the top hat. Skip's has 5 well padded dividers inside. Enough room to separate everything in it's own pocket including hi-hats and that's with packing the top hat with the clutch still attached. Been packing that way for years and never a problem.

I've thought about another way of comparing the 2.. it's like going from sleeping on a thick Serta pillow top mattress to sleeping on an army cot. I'm going to look into repairing Skip's and using the Tama for my spare cymbals. I think they need to rename this one... it's no Power Pad.

b1.jpg

b2.jpg
    Last edited by slinky; 02-24-2019 at 09:48 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: new cymbal bag... not as expected

sorry, pics not the best

b3.jpg

b4.jpg
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

If you’re looking for another bag, I would recommend a Protection Racket Deluxe. About $150, but probably the last bag you’ll need to buy,
    01E9986B-B313-4D1E-B173-CA8BA09DD5B3.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I know how you feel about soft cymbal bags slinky. The Skip's cymbal bag lasted a long time but the new one looks like it wouldn't go beyond a years worth of your gigs and you DO gig a lot!

I stopped buying soft bags for my cymbals after I stepped on mine and bent the bow of my ride with the weight of my foot. It happened on a dark stage and I didn't see the cymbal bag on stage until it was too late. I totally ruined my new 20" HHX stage ride with a 4 inch crease. Bending it back did nothing but make it sound worse if you hit the damaged bow while playing.

Today, I store all of my cymbals in SKB 24" rolling cymbal vaults. The clam shell design can make closing both sections a bit of a pain since you have to lay the vault flat which can take up a lot of space on stage during set up or tear down but if I stepped on one, it will not fold under the weight of my foot.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    I know how you feel about soft cymbal bags slinky. The Skip's cymbal bag lasted a long time but the new one looks like it wouldn't go beyond a years worth of your gigs and you DO gig a lot!

I stopped buying soft bags for my cymbals after I stepped on mine and bent the bow of my ride with the weight of my foot. It happened on a dark stage and I didn't see the cymbal bag on stage until it was too late. I totally ruined my new 20" HHX stage ride with a 4 inch crease. Bending it back did nothing but make it sound worse if you hit the damaged bow while playing.

Today, I store all of my cymbals in SKB 24" rolling cymbal vaults. The clam shell design can make closing both sections a bit of a pain since you have to lay the vault flat which can take up a lot of space on stage during set up or tear down but if I stepped on one, it will not fold under the weight of my foot.
    Yeah I also only trust my SKB hard cases from my big travels.

I do however have a Sabian soft case which has done me well for many years. Doesn't have any dividers but has a nice pocket in front for accessories, separate hi-hat pocket in front also and very well padded. But I prefer hard cases for all my gear after many years of travels and troubles.

User Info Menu

I filled up the Tama bag with all my extra cymbals yesterday.. i don't know.... i might try to use it again for my show bag... the old bag is just too far gone. Not an easy fix.

Im sure it will be better over time when it gets broke in.. will just have to disassemble the clutch
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Not sure if you use one of those lever clutches or not, but I love my Gibraltar quick release clutch (like an air hose coupling). It takes only seconds to remove or install it. I always remove it and store it on the h-hat rod.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Not sure if you use one of those lever clutches or not, but I love my Gibraltar quick release clutch (like an air hose coupling). It takes only seconds to remove or install it. I always remove it and store it on the h-hat rod.
    Thanks for the tip... I'll look into that.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN