Results 1 to 13 of 13

Thread: Thoughts

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Thoughts

    I'm considering doing a re-wrap on my Pearl drums. I like the color but I can't find any more drums with that wrap which is Blue Prism.

    Any thoughts????
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Check out Walopus drum wraps. Pricing is very reasonable and they offer a ton of designs, including glitters, sparkles, pearls, oysters and prisms.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Check out Walopus drum wraps. Pricing is very reasonable and they offer a ton of designs, including glitters, sparkles, pearls, oysters and prisms.
    I'll check them out. I did my Ludwigs with a wrap I bought from Bum Drum Wrap (if you remember, they were black).

    Thanks Brian!
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    I got a couple samples from Bum Wrap for some projects. They look like decent wraps, but they are just ink printed patterns. That’s OK...they’re inexpensive, and for stuff like wood grain, mods and maybe even oysters, the patterns look good. If you’re wanting a more traditional wrap with sparkles or more depth to the patterns, Walopus offers a wide range with many unique styles at reasonable prices.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I got a couple samples from Bum Wrap for some projects. They look like decent wraps, but they are just ink printed patterns. That’s OK...they’re inexpensive, and for stuff like wood grain, mods and maybe even oysters, the patterns look good. If you’re wanting a more traditional wrap with sparkles or more depth to the patterns, Walopus offers a wide range with many unique styles at reasonable prices.
    Brian, the wrap I got from Bum Wrap was like a flexible photographic plate. The camera never picks the true depth of the wrap. My drums are coming up on 4 years in May and it still looks great. A little Pledge and they shine like a freshly waxed car.

    I will still take a look at the 1's you mentioned, but I stay away from sparkles as I always thought they made the drums look cheap. That thought is probably left over from the late '50's when the sparkle wrap wasn't as good as it is today.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    I felt the same, but since I started messing around with old old Ludwig kits (most all of them sparkles), they’ve really grown on me. I have some 1969 shells that still have the original Black Diamond Pearl wrap in excellent shape. I’m missing the matching bass drum, but if I can find a wrap that matches well, I’ll have a really nice old Ludwig kit.
    -Brian

    "Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

    Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

    "I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Blue prism? Sounds trippy man far out... i like sparkles, glitters and chromes. I saw some gold chrome that looked pretty good.. red n blue too.
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I felt the same, but since I started messing around with old old Ludwig kits (most all of them sparkles), they’ve really grown on me. I have some 1969 shells that still have the original Black Diamond Pearl wrap in excellent shape. I’m missing the matching bass drum, but if I can find a wrap that matches well, I’ll have a really nice old Ludwig kit.
    My 1st set of Ludwigs was Black Diamond wrap. 22" BD, 13"X9" up tom, 16"x16" and 18"x16" floor toms and a Supraphonic snare. Zildjian cymbals, 20" ride and 18" crash, and hats. $325, can you imagine? 1961.

    I have to add that that was with the cymbal stands, hi-hat, and the ever faithful Speed King. The only thing they didn't give me was the seat.

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Blue prism? Sounds trippy man far out... i like sparkles, glitters and chromes. I saw some gold chrome that looked pretty good.. red n blue too.
    I'm going to look at all of them to see what I like. If I do it, it will probably be a summer project.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 02-24-2019 at 01:15 PM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Check this thread: https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....A2E?highlight=
    I did an AE conversion kit with bumwrap woodgrain and it turned out fantastic. Scroll down and you can see the before ad after shots.

    I've also done business with jammin sam and the product and service was excellent. Glass glitter wraps give a sophisticated look but they're expensive and difficult to work with if you're doing the re-wrap.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    My 1st set of Ludwigs was Black Diamond wrap. 22" BD, 13"X9" up tom, 16"x16" and 18"x16" floor toms and a Supraphonic snare. Zildjian cymbals, 20" ride and 18" crash, and hats. $325, can you imagine? 1961.

    I can't believe that... did you keep them a long time Rick?
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by G-man View Post
    Check this thread: https://www.drumchat.com/showthread....A2E?highlight=
    I did an AE conversion kit with bumwrap woodgrain and it turned out fantastic. Scroll down and you can see the before ad after shots.

    I've also done business with jammin sam and the product and service was excellent. Glass glitter wraps give a sophisticated look but they're expensive and difficult to work with if you're doing the re-wrap.
    G-Man...how did I miss that thread? Wow great job!!

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    G-Man...how did I miss that thread? Wow great job!!
    It was a cool little kit. 8-10 racks, 12-14 FT, 16 kick. That wrap was super cool and easy to put on.

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Thoughts

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    My 1st set of Ludwigs was Black Diamond wrap. 22" BD, 13"X9" up tom, 16"x16" and 18"x16" floor toms and a Supraphonic snare. Zildjian cymbals, 20" ride and 18" crash, and hats. $325, can you imagine? 1961.

    I can't believe that... did you keep them a long time Rick?
    They were my drum set through my time in a band in NC before I went overseas.

    Actually I had them for a long, long, time.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •