View Poll Results: Should a cover band use a vocal harmonizer at a gig

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, if it helps the listeners overall enjoyment

9 75.00%
  • No, if you cannot do it correctly or creatively then don't do it.

3 25.00%

Thread: Vocal Harmonizers Yea or Nay

User Info Menu

Default Vocal Harmonizers Yea or Nay

What are your thoughts on a cover band using a vocal harmonizer to help round out the harmonies? Is this frowned upon or do a lot of bands do it live?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Vocal Harmonizers Yea or Nay

Why would it matter if it improves the overall sound? No different than a well-tuned guitar or lights to dress up the stage and any other enhancements that add to the performance.

User Info Menu

Our band doesn't use them because our lead guitar player is 80 years old and remembers back 20 years when there were chords that a harmonizer would not work with. Personally, I think they are an excellent tool - plus, having that "guy who can sing the "high 3rd part harmony" is not so easy to find but with a harmonizer - getting that harmony part is a breeze and your harmonizer wont be "off" key with the lead vocalist. Just my thoughts on it.
    Yamaha Oak Custom 22x17 with Brass Kick Port, Brass Hoop Claws,10-12-14 racks, 16 Floor and all toms have Brass Hoops and a Tama Starclassic Bubinga Elite 14x6.5 snare in Quilted Mocha Burst and Black Nickel hardware. All hi-end Zildjian Cymbals - K Dark Thin crashes & splashes, a Zildjian A crash & a Meinl 16" crash, Avedis Zildjian 1964 ride, K Custom hats plus New Beat hats on Closed X-Hat.

If a Man offends thee - - give each of his children a Drum~~~!!!

User Info Menu

Is there a reason you asked if a cover band should use one? Does it go for original bands as well? In either case, if they are used correctly I don't see any problem with them.

User Info Menu

I guess does not matter if cover or original... Just wondered if people looked at it as kind of a lip syncing type deal?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Just wondered if people looked at it as kind of a lip syncing type deal?
    Nah...no worries man. It ain't like you're rolling with these guys...

maxresdefault.jpg

User Info Menu

I'm anti auto-tune all day long. I'm also against snapping to the grid and other forms of electronic trickery that make musicians sound "better" than they are. When things sound too perfectly accurate, it sucks all the feel out. This is just my opinion and I'm all for you doing whatever you see fit in your band.
    Mmm... Saturns.

User Info Menu

I guess it depends on how it’s used. If you’re a 4pc or 5pc band and you need occasional background/backup harmonies, I’m OK with it. If you’re only a 2pc or 3pc and harmonies are an integral part of your show, then it irritates me. From a “musician” standpoint, I don’t agree with it in principle. If you’re going to only have 2 vocalists and pick harmony-rich songs like Simon& Garfunkel, the Eagles, etc...then you should be able to pull it off naturally.
    I know a local 2pc band that covers “Seven Bridges Road” with a harmonizer. It makes me want to throw my beer at them. But, From an audience standpoint, people like good harmonies and 99.9% don’t give a rip how they happen.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'd rather hear a doctored voice than one that can't sing in tune. That's just me.

User Info Menu

I agree with Tom on this one.
    I mean seriously, just about every instrument has an enhancement/effect one can utilize.
    Using one for the voice is old news...this is just another tool IMO.

User Info Menu

I never thought about it... but i guess it would be ok... at first i thought no... that it's fake but that's a hypocrisy from me because I've thought about using triggers before..

Some bands have had great success with their singer out of tune... ie RHCP
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN