Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    This past September I was driving to Minnesota to see a friend. Along the way I stopped in to my see my friends Terry and Liz, who own Skins N Tins Drum Shop. I didn't buy anything major that day, but I made a mental note to myself concerning a snare drum that they had. Last month I had the funds, so I called them and bought it...

    A NOS Gretsch USA Stanton Moore snare drum. I love this drum!

    GretschStantonMooreSnare.jpg
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Snare drums happen."

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Looks nice.. 5x14? I've been wanting to get that size for awhile now just not sure what kind metal, wood, brand etc...

    Like the finish on your drums what year are those?
    RED DIRT MOUNTAIN
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian REGAL TiP

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Beautiful Drum!

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Oh man. I remember Skins N Tins. I used to live pretty close to there. What a great independent drum shop. I bought a couple cymbals and a ton of accessories there back in high school. 20+ years ago. Glad they are still around and doing well.

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Mike, when I bought a Black Panther last year, had I wanted to pay $100.00 more, I would have the same exact snare drum but with some drummers name on it. It's the same thing as 35 or so years ago when some guy put his name on a $5.00 tee shirt and sold them for $30.00.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Nice pick up.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    WOW 5359................good catch !
    And I love those SSB shells in the pic too.........what year are those ?

    I'm still playing my SSB Gretsch shells regularly -- I bought them new in 1977 -- ordered in February and delivered in August.
    Also, about two years ago, I ordered the 6.5X14 USA bronze -- 20-lug -- 42-wire -- new micro throw -- this drum looks and sounds completely awesome.............

    20171012_170258.jpg

    20171012_170328.jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)


  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Nice snare Mike!

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Nice snare

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    Looks nice.. 5x14? I've been wanting to get that size for awhile now just not sure what kind metal, wood, brand etc...

    Like the finish on your drums what year are those?
    They are from the early 1970s.
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Snare drums happen."

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    WOW 5359................good catch !
    And I love those SSB shells in the pic too.........what year are those ?

    I'm still playing my SSB Gretsch shells regularly -- I bought them new in 1977 -- ordered in February and delivered in August.
    Also, about two years ago, I ordered the 6.5X14 USA bronze -- 20-lug -- 42-wire -- new micro throw -- this drum looks and sounds completely awesome.............

    20171012_170258.jpg

    20171012_170328.jpg
    I love the bell brass, that USA bronze snare looks great. I have my eye on the Phosphor bonze version.
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Snare drums happen."

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Quote Originally Posted by -bongos- View Post
    Oh man. I remember Skins N Tins. I used to live pretty close to there. What a great independent drum shop. I bought a couple cymbals and a ton of accessories there back in high school. 20+ years ago. Glad they are still around and doing well.
    Terry and Liz at Skins N Tins and two of the nicest people that you'll ever meet.
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Snare drums happen."

  13. #13

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Mike, when I bought a Black Panther last year, had I wanted to pay $100.00 more, I would have the same exact snare drum but with some drummers name on it. It's the same thing as 35 or so years ago when some guy put his name on a $5.00 tee shirt and sold them for $30.00.
    I like Stanton Moore, he played one of my kits a few years back at a master class. He is a class act. That being said, it's not why I bought the snare. It has a 4 1/2" deep single ply solid Birdseye maple shell, it isn't quite like any other snare drum. I bought it for what it is, not the name on the shell.

    Currently I have ten different single ply maple shelled drums. They are from various manufacturers, are in different depths, have different shell thicknesses, different bearing edges, and different hoops. I have a thing for solid shell drums, and I enjoy learning the difference that each change in specification brings. When Stanton used my kit, he used one of these and I'd wanted to own one for it's unique qualities ever since.
    -Mike


    "We don't stop playing because we grow old.
    We grow old because we stop playing."

    "I wish that my playing reminded people of Steve Gadd. But they seem to confuse me with his little known cousin... E."

    "Snare drums happen."

  14. #14

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Gretsch Stanton Moore snare drum

    Quote Originally Posted by drummer5359 View Post
    I like Stanton Moore, he played one of my kits a few years back at a master class. He is a class act. That being said, it's not why I bought the snare. It has a 4 1/2" deep single ply solid Birdseye maple shell, it isn't quite like any other snare drum. I bought it for what it is, not the name on the shell.

    Currently I have ten different single ply maple shelled drums. They are from various manufacturers, are in different depths, have different shell thicknesses, different bearing edges, and different hoops. I have a thing for solid shell drums, and I enjoy learning the difference that each change in specification brings. When Stanton used my kit, he used one of these and I'd wanted to own one for it's unique qualities ever since.

    I get the feeling that you don't like metal snares.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

    YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

    VAE VICTIS

    ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

    I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •