Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Building a Drum Room

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building a Drum Room

This is very inspiring Zack. My drum cave isn't nearly as big and it's not 100% dry all the time, but I'd love to finish it like you are doing.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

So here is part 1 of my video series.
    Unfortunately I'm not going to lie... I've given up on doing a full music room build for one reason
    With our second daughter on her way and our THREE GIANT dogs. I plan on upgrading to a bigger house in the next 5-6 years when both girls are up and running.
    So I don't want to throw away thousands of dollars to just do it again at the next place...

But enjoy video number 1

User Info Menu

I just nailed 2 things together that had never been nailed together and called it a day.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Awesome thread, thanks for sharing all this.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

WOW -- great job, Zack..................looking forward to seeing the final product.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Some more updates....
    So I decided to pack up the PDP and take it to my moms house.... just don't have the room while finishing the basement. I already miss it lol

got a new organizer for my tools

Insulation is NOT CHEAP!!! So buy in BULK! 24 BAGS!

User Info Menu

And I got two walls done last night! This stuff is actually great to work with!

User Info Menu

Looking good dude!

User Info Menu

Nice work! Actually, you should be increasing the value of your home if you’re doing it in a way that increases the finished living space. The sound-proof aspect may not be a huge bonus for future buyers, but a finished room that could be used as a workshop, game room or man-cave is.
    On the other hand, a sound-proof room with a hidden well and large metal D-rings bolted to the wall may attract potential serial killer buyers...
    Maybe even some grow lights..

DD096EF3-85C0-4D35-B6DC-8159BAB64680.jpg
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 04-23-2019 at 04:15 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Nice work! Actually, you should be increasing the value of your home if you’re doing it in a way that increases the finished living space. The sound-proof aspect may not be a huge bonus for future buyers, but a finished room that could be used as a workshop, game room or man-cave is.
    On the other hand, a sound-proof room with a hidden well and large metal D-rings bolted to the wall may attract potential serial killer buyers...
    Maybe even some grow lights..

DD096EF3-85C0-4D35-B6DC-8159BAB64680.jpg
    I like where you're going with this......

User Info Menu

It would really suck to have a sound-proof man-cave to hang out in. Imagine watching college football and not being able to hear the wife complaining or the kids screaming......
    No Thanks!
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm kinda surprised you're going as in depth as you are if you're leaving in 5-6 years. But then I'm old and chronically lazy.
    Then again since retiring 1.5 years ago I did spend last summer travelling the west with my R1 in an enclosed trailer I bought and installed a sleeping berth in just for that trip and my drums in the back of the 4Runner towing vehicle, doing about 6K miles on the bike between CO, Utah, Oregon and Montana (Glacier Nat. Pk.) and assembling some of the best co-players of my life in Phoenix, AZ for a few days of jamming and hangin'.
    Then back to NH where I bought a house up north in which I built a basement home theater/playing area.
    OK...I guess I get it. Besides, with the infant and her "big" sis you kinda had to do it for this critical period in their lives.
    As far as resale value added-subtracted: it can go either way or be meaningless. The house I just bought here in Columbia, NH had a bedroom area in the basement with a bathroom framed in that had to go to fit the theater/studio. Luckily it wasn't done and plumbed in etc. but in my case all his work was in vain as I had to tear it out.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 04-24-2019 at 10:15 AM.

User Info Menu

This is great thanks for posting, I am thinking of doing something similar but going more for visual aesthetics than actually sound proofing. I am thinking of just hanging some pallets on the concrete wall behind my kit and building a 10' x 10' x 4" high riser to get the kit off the cement floor. How did you attach insulation to the concrete wall?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    I'm kinda surprised you're going as in depth as you are if you're leaving in 5-6 years. But then I'm old and chronically lazy.
    Then again since retiring 1.5 years ago I did spend last summer travelling the west with my R1 in an enclosed trailer I bought and installed a sleeping berth in just for that trip and my drums in the back of the 4Runner towing vehicle, doing about 6K miles on the bike between CO, Utah, Oregon and Montana (Glacier Nat. Pk.) and assembling some of the best co-players of my life in Phoenix, AZ for a few days of jamming and hangin'.
    Then back to NH where I bought a house up north in which I built a basement home theater/playing area.
    OK...I guess I get it. Besides, with the infant and her "big" sis you kinda had to do it for this critical period in their lives.
    As far as resale value added-subtracted: it can go either way or be meaningless. The house I just bought here in Columbia, NH had a bedroom area in the basement with a bathroom framed in that had to go to fit the theater/studio. Luckily it wasn't done and plumbed in etc. but in my case all his work was in vain as I had to tear it out.
    Well those who know me know I can't do any project half arse... when I set my mind I'm set and I'm all in. Do it once and do it right...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    WOW Columbia, your wayy up there, I ride my bike up there a few times during the summer. Rochester area here.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

PMed you MDK.

User Info Menu

here's video Part 2

I apologize the videos are a bit behind

User Info Menu

That is a crazy amount of snare drums. I own one, lol.

User Info Menu

Lookin' good, brother.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

here is part 3

User Info Menu

If you are like me, when I put up the dry wall all the sound deadening went away. I loved having the exposed insulation.

Save the trouble and expense. Skip the drywall but let your family "hand" decorate the room as is. You know, painted hands, flowers...etc. Once they have touched it well then you can't just cover it with drywall.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i plan on making plenty of sound baffles and diverters
    it does sound awesome though the way it is right now!
    Almost eerie and creepy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Almost eerie and creepy
    But in a good way, right? hehehe

Play your drums in there. You will hate doing anything else to the room in regards to acoustics.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Took a break from the forums, found they were getting slow and repetitive. Man you have really dug in with your drum collecting. Looks more like a drum shop.
    click to see my kit re-veneer/finish
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...168#post379168

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by signia fan View Post
    Took a break from the forums, found they were getting slow and repetitive. Man you have really dug in with your drum collecting. Looks more like a drum shop.
    I've made the joke to my wife maybe I should have built the garage and started my own drum flip company.