Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Building a Drum Room

User Info Menu

Default Re: Building a Drum Room

I can't tell you how crazy good it feels just to have doors... man what a feeling! I could get lost down there in happiness anytime!

User Info Menu

I'm lovin' this thread! And I watch all the videos til the end. This is so cool!

User Info Menu

Here's the start of putting all my snares together.. except the room won't be big enough apparently... sad times

User Info Menu

You may need an auxiliary snare storage area elsewhere with but a small rack holding the current "rotation" inside the room.

User Info Menu

sneak peak. Room isn't finished yet but getting close!

User Info Menu

Heaven it is! Wow!! Here, let me play salesman for Drum Bum a moment to get you something for those walls:

Patent Art - Drums
    https://store.drumbum.com/?term=&s=d...my=product_cat

Peart!
    https://store.drumbum.com/product/br...een-art-print/

The Drummer
    https://store.drumbum.com/product/dr...t-the-drummer/

The History of Drumming
    https://store.drumbum.com/product/th...cartoon-print/

Boy with Drums Painting
    https://store.drumbum.com/product/bo...ainting-large/

Degrazia Drummer Boy
    https://store.drumbum.com/product/de...mer-boy-print/

User Info Menu

this week I'm hoping to start making the acoustic panels for the walls!

User Info Menu

Oh wow, I didn't know. That's even better! The wife will thank you, lol.

User Info Menu

Be careful how many panels you install. Start by not buying too many. It's easy to deaden a room too much. My basement studio has large expanses of poured concrete walls covered with three layers of packing blankets with about an inch air-space between layers. The floor is covered with those interlocking rubber mats and the ceiling is engineered I-beams with deep troughs between them which I think is huge in controlling the sound. There are some room baffle features I also had covered in blankets but I took the blankets down because it seemed a hair too dead to me.
    Everyone who joins me to play down there loves the acoustics. Lucky moi!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Be careful how many panels you install. Start by not buying too many. It's easy to deaden a room too much. My basement studio has large expanses of poured concrete walls covered with three layers of packing blankets with about an inch air-space between layers. The floor is covered with those interlocking rubber mats and the ceiling is engineered I-beams with deep troughs between them which I think is huge in controlling the sound. There are some room baffle features I also had covered in blankets but I took the blankets down because it seemed a hair too dead to me.
    Everyone who joins me to play down there loves the acoustics. Lucky moi!
    I will definitely keep that in mind!

One of the things I am trying to do though is kill as much as I can just to keep peace with my wife and kids hahaha
    But I will definitely start minimally and see what happens. I will be building the panels myself.

User Info Menu

No room for the Yammies?

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    No room for the Yammies?
    it saddens me great but I just couldn't get them to fit without sacrificing the size of the kit. And I've worked to hard putting that kit together to make it what it is and I just wasn't ready to do so. My wife thinks I'm crazy but that's where i stand as of now. Plus they are setup in full at my moms and she only lives 2 blocks away and we see her all the time with the girls and all. So I can play them anytime I want. It's actually easier for me to still go there and practice with the girls and all. I may look into selling my Orange PDP X7 and maybe the Ddrums to make room. But I gig out allll the time with the ddrum they are great for traveling. Or maybe when we buy our next house in a couple of years it'll have a bigger basement so I can fit it all!

I don't even have everything I want setup cause not enough room now and my wife won't let me expand into the other rooms hahahahahaha Guess i should have built it bigger!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post

I don't even have everything I want setup cause not enough room now and my wife won't let me expand into the other rooms hahahahahaha Guess i should have built it bigger!
    Just take out a wall you can live without.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Soundproofing, is different than interior room sound treatments... as you know. The only way to sound proof is with mass and how said mass is arranged. There are super dense "panel/matts" made of some amalgamation of synthetics designed to be placed inside walls. Not cheap and very heavy. I'd say you could look into those babies to hang on the exterior but the thing with sound proofing is sound "leaks" through any tiny opening and unless a room is sealed completely with something dense enough to absorb the energy the results will be minimally satisfactory. I'm sure having your kingdom down there with the doors closed helps keep the peace though.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 11-23-2020 at 11:29 AM.