Thread: Midnight Train to Memphis Fill?

User Info Menu

Default Midnight Train to Memphis Fill?

My band played this song the other night after only 1 run thru and I really loved it but this one seemingly simple fill is screwing me up. I just fudged my way thru it but would like to know exactly what he is doing here? Starts at about 2:50 and ends at 2:53 or so, it's really short. Kind of has a triplet feel (1 and ah, 2 and ah, 3 and ah 4) but then other times it sounds like 16ths to me? I am not even sure the fill starts on the 1, kind of sounds like it could start on 2?

Man this is embarrassing because it really does not sound hard at all but I just want to be consistent with it.

Even the live versions I cannot really tell because ya know it's always all about the singer : ) Anyway here is the video, It's a great song as well if you have not heard it before.

Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Default Re: Midnight Train to Memphis Fill?

Sounds like triplets starting at 2 and a...

Untitled.jpg

Check out this drum cover that a drummer posted: Click on this link below....I got it at the exact point of the triplet, or copy and paste the url on your browser

https://youtu.be/E4qAa-q5S54?t=172
    Last edited by late8; 03-18-2019 at 04:13 PM.

User Info Menu

Sounds like a straight triplet roll down the toms with the kick on each quarter note ...

User Info Menu

Above is correct.................triplets leading into the count of one.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)