Thread: I really have a problem...

User Info Menu

Default I really have a problem...

Right after I said I just bought my last snare ever, I almost pulled the trigger on another one. I haven't even played my SLP G Maple that much yet, (just a few rehearsals with each band, no gigs) and I saw that GC had a clearance on the SLP G Bubinga(I think that ended). Luckily, I regained my sanity (for now) and I was able to control myself. Those SLP snares are so good and the prices make them too tempting. I think I need to enter a program.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Default Re: I really have a problem...

There is a program called Snares Anonymous. They meet every Tuesday between Bish Anonymous and Spaz Anonymous.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Snares are addicting. I think it’s the “buzz” you get off of them...
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is a program called Snares Anonymous. They meet every Tuesday between Bish Anonymous and Spaz Anonymous.

hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! This is very true....
    I'm dying to buy new drum stuff but I don't have any funds because they are all tied up in the music room!
    Worst part is my basement is such a mess I can't even play my drums I currently have!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! This is very true....
    I'm dying to buy new drum stuff but I don't have any funds because they are all tied up in the music room!
    Worst part is my basement is such a mess I can't even play my drums I currently have!
    Just think of all the new space you'll have dedicated to drums when your project is done. It would be a crime not to fill it with shiny new gear!

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

"I can't even play my drums I currently have!"

Cailyn has been saying novenas every night and selling snare drums on e-bay every day.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    "I can't even play my drums I currently have!"

Cailyn has been saying novenas every night and selling snare drums on e-bay every day.
    hahahahahaha!
    She's so proud of me right now Rick!
    Her least favorite snare drum in my collection is my DW Brass Collectors series.
    Today I made a trade with a guy for a DW Oak Collectors.
    She's so happy.. she absolutely HATED that brass snare drum lol

User Info Menu

The sound of a drum has far less to do with the shell construction and more to do with the cut and flatness of a bearing edge.... Although the drum marketing folks who are getting paychecks for selling drums with give you a very different story. ... from 20 feet away, no audience can tell the difference in shell material but they can tell the difference in the type of bearing edges used (not that they care) as they will hear the result of a 45 degree edge (sharp attack and sustain) VS a rounded over bearing edge (more tone but less attack and sustain). Quit focusing on the material used for construction and more on the bearing edge type and the manufacturers ability to retain bearing edge flatness.

Pull your heads off your drums and place them on a flat table. put a light in the middle of the drum shell and see if it emits out from the shell edge... if it does, your bearing edges are not flat, this will be reflected in your final tone, regardless of the shell material type. Want a fatter tone, round the bearing edges... Want a sharp tone and attack use a double 45 bearing edge. .... its really that simple. The shell has far less to do with drum sound than most folks think ..... Shell material is all about marketing and sales hype. An all poplar shell with good bearing edge cut and flatness will produce a far better sound than an all maple shell with poorly cut bearing edges. Think of it.... can you get a better snare sound from a metal drum over a wooden drum given the bearing edges are the same? How does drum coating or covering effect that same sound? are DW lacquered drums any better sounding than those with plastic wrap?

User Info Menu

Drum shell material has far less to do with drum sound than most folks think… Consider this, metal snare or wooden? From 10 feet away with proper bearing edge cut and flatness, what audience could ever tell the difference?
    So save your money and focus instead on the bearing edge type and flatness being used and how that effects drum sound and focus far less on the material use. I doubt any audience could ever tell the difference between Maple, Poplar and Mahogany use to construct a drum kit, given the same bearing edge used in all three. But they would be able to distinguish between rounded and sharp bearing edges and how that effects the overall drum sound.
    Having multiple snare drums is all about having drums with varying bearing edges in order to produce a distinct drum sound.