Thread: Dream Theater and Gentle Giant

User Info Menu

Default Dream Theater and Gentle Giant

I had been wanting to order the recent Steve Wilson re-master THREE PIECE SUITE..…...a compilation of the first three albums from Gentle Giant.
    Apparently, the multi-track tapes were available on only specific songs and Wilson did his work on all those.
    So when I finally read enough positive reviews on the new Dream Theater disc, I ordered both.

I had only listened to about half of the DT while the GG was in the changer for three weeks...………..wow !
    What an amazing production from Wilson...…..these old songs (1970-72) sound tremendous and new.
    Such good work from GG -- not for everybody, but I love the diversity and all their abilities displayed in full force.
    They are the most incredibly unique sound from the 70s..........a total refusal to be part of the mainstream provision.
    And very capable of pulling it off with quality.

So now I'm getting into the new DT more and it is also a good disc...…….DISTANCE OVER TIME.
    The composition, mix, and production are excellent.
    I like the way they have the bass drum so out front; I mean the bass drum is as loud as the lead vocal and it sounds good to me.

These discs have some good stuff; if you like DT or GG, I recommend them both.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Dream Theater and Gentle Giant

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I had been wanting to order the recent Steve Wilson re-master THREE PIECE SUITE..…...a compilation of the first three albums from Gentle Giant.
    Apparently, the multi-track tapes were available on only specific songs and Wilson did his work on all those.
    So when I finally read enough positive reviews on the new Dream Theater disc, I ordered both.

I had only listened to about half of the DT while the GG was in the changer for three weeks...………..wow !
    What an amazing production from Wilson...…..these old songs (1970-72) sound tremendous and new.
    Such good work from GG -- not for everybody, but I love the diversity and all their abilities displayed in full force.
    They are the most incredibly unique sound from the 70s..........a total refusal to be part of the mainstream provision.
    And very capable of pulling it off with quality.

So now I'm getting into the new DT more and it is also a good disc...…….DISTANCE OVER TIME.
    The composition, mix, and production are excellent.
    I like the way they have the bass drum so out front; I mean the bass drum is as loud as the lead vocal and it sounds good to me.

These discs have some good stuff; if you like DT or GG, I recommend them both.
    Based on your opinion, I'm gonna check both of these out. DT is a band I've always had much respect for pushing the boundaries, always willing to go "outside of the box". Thanks for the heads up.

User Info Menu

I'm going to check it out too. Thanks for the heads up!

User Info Menu

OK -- and I'm enjoying both.
    UPDATE:
    I scored some good seats for the DT tour hitting Nashville on April 17th.
    It's the 20th anniversary of SCENES FROM A MEMORY and DT will be performing the entire album during the 2nd half of their set...............great stuff.
    In addition, I have a guy there that wants my Ludwig kit -- so that would be cool too.
    Of course, I will make time for Memphis Drum Shop and Fork's Drum Closet -- both outstanding drum/cymbal/equipment dealers.
    A nice Spring road trip..................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

I bought it this week... but I just can't get into anymore with Mangini... Portnoy did so much for Dream Theater the feel and sound is just not the same without him to me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I bought it this week... but I just can't get into anymore with Mangini... Portnoy did so much for Dream Theater the feel and sound is just not the same without him to me.
    So, exactly what is it ?
    Mangini (and all of the other guys that were invited to the DT audition) are clearly great drummers.
    I like Mangini too, but there is something different.

To me it is a number of things:
    Portnoy was a major influence in the compositions..............Mangini is much less so.............that could be the biggest difference.............Petrucci took over (not only the song-writing but also) more of the management of the band without Portnoy around to neutralize the influence when needed.
    Mangini plays more musically while Portnoy plays with more power................MP has an uncanny ability to deliver double strokes with power unlike anyone else I've watched.
    I have seen Mangini play single-ply black dots and Portnoy play clear Emps.

BTW -- this new album is mixed by someone other than Petrucci and I like it better...........the bass drum is up in the mix with the lead vocal.............wow.
    And you can hear Myung's parts better too.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

yeah for me the song styles and flows are just not there anymore. Portnoy had a lot of influence over the compositions and lyrics.
    Mangini is an awesome don't get me wrong.. but he sounds and looks like a robot. Fast and precise but just not the same feel as Portnoy.

Portnoy was also a lot more fun to watch live than Mangini

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    yeah for me the song styles and flows are just not there anymore. Portnoy had a lot of influence over the compositions and lyrics.
    Mangini is an awesome don't get me wrong.. but he sounds and looks like a robot. Fast and precise but just not the same feel as Portnoy.

Portnoy was also a lot more fun to watch live than Mangini
    Agreed 100%. Mangini’s a great drummer but he sounds like a drum machine lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Agreed 100%. Mangini’s a great drummer but he sounds like a drum machine lol.
    I felt the same way Mike when I watched the DT drummer auditions.

User Info Menu

Spaz and I have both been to music school as percussion performance majors.........here is my assessment of the percussionists in my percussion ensemble group (which, BTW, was 12 people.........

"THE GARAGERS".........these were the guys that grew up in garage bands -- they learned to play everything by ear and are at first very slow at sight-reading (I was in this gang).

"THE SCHOOL BOYS"...........these guys can sight-read anything but spent all their time in "school bands" -- so they don't have the feel and the groove like the garagers.

"THE MUSICIANS"..........a small minority of guys that could do both of the above very well -- these guys were the stand-outs and for good reason.

I think we witnessed all of these types while watching the auditions for DT.
    Clearly, Portnoy and Mangini are in the third group -- Portnoy just seems better at it in a rock context.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by late8 View Post
    Based on your opinion, I'm gonna check both of these out. DT is a band I've always had much respect for pushing the boundaries, always willing to go "outside of the box". Thanks for the heads up.
    The new album offers a couple of different provisions from DT...............one song written by Mangini and one song written by LaBrie.
    Track #5 is titled ROOM 137..............good stuff by Mike Mangini.
    Track #10 is called VIPER KING a song by James LaBrie about his Dodge Viper..............this song does not sound like anything previously done by DT, but catchy.
    Even with this new stuff, my favorite is track #4 by Petrucci -- titled BARSTOOL WARRIER -- a good story for sure.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian