Thread: Kick Drum Amp

User Info Menu

Default Kick Drum Amp

Thinking of getting a powered sub for just my kick drum. Anyone done that?

We're playing places that are too small for PA subs and too big not to have a little help with the kick. So, I was thinking of a Behringer Eurolive F1220D 250W 12" Powered Speaker or something like that and just plug the mic straight into it. Maybe a 15".

Anyone have any experience doing this? Other ideas?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Kick Drum Amp

Quote Originally Posted by Sven62 View Post
    Thinking of getting a powered sub for just my kick drum. Anyone done that?

We're playing places that are too small for PA subs and too big not to have a little help with the kick. So, I was thinking of a Behringer Eurolive F1220D 250W 12" Powered Speaker or something like that and just plug the mic straight into it. Maybe a 15".

Anyone have any experience doing this? Other ideas?
    Hey Sven...welcome to the forum. Yes, I have mic'd my kick but through a PA system and used the Behringer Eurolive F1220D 250W 12" Powered Speaker to hear the band but NOT as you described by plugging the mic into the speaker.

You can see the Behringer Eurolive on the ride side of my kit in the pic below.

I have a some of questions:

What size is the kick drum?

Is your kick drum ported?

If yes, have you tried a KickPort? It works great for small venues when you need the kick drum to stand out.

I have no doubts that a speaker like the Behringer Eurolive would work but getting the right balance by just having your kick mic'd may pose a challenge. I would choose a mic that can handle the SPL (Sound Pressure Level) of a kick drum and a 15" powered sub-monitor if I were to go that route. Good luck!

Edit: The Behringer Eurolive F1220D 250W 12" Powered Speaker is advertised with a built in pre-amp and has a 3 band EQ but as I recall, I had to push the volume up almost to max to have the vocals cut through the guitar and bass amps.
    Last edited by late8; 03-22-2019 at 11:14 AM.

User Info Menu

Do not plug into the speaker! Run the sub off the PA and your kick drum mic into a free channel. You can run direct into a powered speaker but it will not be what you are seeking. A board has preamps that will give you much greater volume, control of volume and much, much better sound quality. Using the speaker without the PA is wasting all of its potential. Its just as easy to use the new sub through the board

Collectors Black Ice Finishply
    10x8,12x9,15x12,16x14,20x18,24x16
    14X6 Collectors 10 and 6 snare Natural Satin
    14x8 Collectors Black Nickel over Brass

User Info Menu

Good info. to know SunDog! I ran across one of these, a drum port. I was skeptical at first thinking it was a little 'Gimmicky' but come to find out it WORKS! Not only can you hear that deep punch but you can feel it too! It can look a little funky, but hey, this is the only kit that I'm putting it on! lol. It's on a 20X20 Crush bass drum. It is a cannon!DSC01918.jpgDSC01915.jpg