Thread: Rock drummers and snare drum technique ( lack of ?? )

User Info Menu

Default Rock drummers and snare drum technique ( lack of ?? )

Hey guys
    I was thinking about rock drummers and their use of the snare drum. Now, i realize a rock drummer isnt going to incorporate the snare drum like a jazz drummer but aside from Ian Paice, do rock drummers really have snare drum technique? Can many of them impress a crowd with some cool rudiments?
    Its one thing to go around the drums or do some cool triplets but snare drum technique seems elusive in rock. Of course there are a few but generally speaking i dont see it often. Any thoughts ?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rock drummers and snare deum technique ( lack of ?? )

Yes, some do, some don't.

Look at drummers like Todd Sucherman, Simon Phillips to name just a few, my main guys I listen to anyhow.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

there's jazz drummers that don't impress me either. . . guess it depends on the drummer.
    I can't stress rudiments enough with my students cause I use them all day every day in my playing.
    And i'm a rock drummer

User Info Menu

"do rock drummers really have snare drum technique?"

Yes and no, the 1's that have good technique got it from listening to jazz drummers.

I think my snare technique is pretty good and if it is, it got that way by listening to jazz drummers. I started playing in 1956 when I was 10. I 1st saw Buddy when I was 12 or 13 when he was playing with Harry James, and from that point on literally every album I bought in my teen years was by a jazz drummer.

From Buddy to Morello, to Louie, to Max, to Chico, to Blakey, etc. etc., these were the drummers I listened to. As a kid, I wasn't thinking about "technique" as much as " I want to do that".

Listen to a lot of drummers, both R&R drummers and jazz drummers and build your own technique. You will get no place by just listening.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Neil Peart learned a lot from Freddy Gruber I believe was his name. Excellent snare technique from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

I think snare technique is very important. If you have good snare technique, you obviously have good stick control.
    That being said, if you look at some of the great “ hard rock “ songs from bands like ac/dc, guns n roses, and many others, some of those songs would be destroyed by getting flashy with the snare. I guess it comes back to that original theory: drummers should play for the song, not other drummers. Lol

User Info Menu

It really comes down to what kind of drummer you want to be. Do you just want to be a basic player with limited capacity on the kit? If so, there's nothing wrong with that. There are thousands of drummers with a basic approach and if that makes them happy, so be it. But if you want to discover the full awesomeness of what is possible on the drums, I highly recommend drummers exploring and utilizing more sticking patterns. Rudiments are not just used for showing off.

User Info Menu

I totally agree with you drummer. However, couldnt cool rudiments destroy a classic ac/dc song? Sometimes isnt the best rudiment just a basic 4/4 beat that goes well with the song?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lexer View Post
    I guess it comes back to that original theory: drummers should play for the song, not other drummers. Lol
    Yep, somehow this comes to mind. I wonder if this drummer has technique that he isn't displaying right now because it's not called for?

User Info Menu

I totally agree with you drummer. However, couldnt cool rudiments destroy a classic ac/dc song? Sometimes isnt the best rudiment just a basic 4/4 beat that goes well with the song?
    Absolutely but you might not be seeing the bigger picture. The more advanced players usually get the gigs. Doesn't mean that they will play the fancy stuff in a simple song but what if the next song requires more from them? If you can't deliver, there are 100 other drummers ready to take your place.

User Info Menu

I suspect many (if not most) of the top-shelf drummers are more than capable of laying down some great rudiments on the snare....if the song calls for it. A good drummer is 50% being ABLE to play anything and 50% knowing what NOT to play.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I suspect many (if not most) of the top-shelf drummers are more than capable of laying down some great rudiments on the snare....if the song calls for it. A good drummer is 50% being ABLE to play anything and 50% knowing what NOT to play.
    Brian, right on the money again. Now if we could expunge that 1 time that he missed the off ramp by a state, his record would be 100%.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I think snare technique is very important. If you have good snare technique, you obviously have good stick control.
    That being said, if you look at some of the great “ hard rock “ songs from bands like ac/dc, guns n roses, and many others, some of those songs would be destroyed by getting flashy with the snare. I guess it comes back to that original theory: drummers should play for the song, not other drummers. Lol
    Exactly
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

This is one of the best video’s i have seen for snare drum/ stick control. It happens to be from one of my favorite drummers.

User Info Menu

I get it and agree to a point but in order to learn something correctly and utilize it correctly you have to love and feel it. I realize how impressive jazz drummers are and how it would be great to do that but I honestly cannot listen to any Jazz for more than 5-10 minutes and then I need to get out of there.

Sorry I know that may make me an uneducated caveman but that's how I feel. I would much rather listen to rock, R&B, soul, country etc than Jazz, and yes I have given it a chance, I even downloaded someones list of 5 greatest jazz albums onto my itunes a few years ago and have not completed the 3rd album yet, in fact the 1st three albums kind of sound like one long song.

There are a few local drummers here who are obviously jazz taught as they are very good clean drummers and they play mostly Green Onions, type stuff because Jazz bands around here are not very popular but when I saw one of them do an AC/DC song it just did not work for whatever reason. May have been the way the drums were tuned but man there was no feeling behind his playing on that song and everyone could tell it was the last thing the whole band wanted to do.

It would be nice to learn to apply every rudiment and odd time signature without having to think about them at all but honestly if your not feeling it deep down inside and enjoying it your just wasting your time IMO.
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Well said.

User Info Menu

“Man I wish I never learned how to do dope stuff”

No drummer ever
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

personally, I feel a truly great drummer is someone who can do both. Who can lay down a fat groove and be basic but can also let loose when the time calls for it. Which is why I think it's important to immerse your playing in as many different styles as possible.
    As Derek Roddy says...you metal drummers, listen to some jazz cd's.....and you jazz drummers listen to metal cd's etc etc.
    Mapex Saturn V Blue Red Hybrid Sparkle 4 pc
    Ludwig 6.5 x14 Black Beauty
    Pearl Demon Drive double pedal
    Sabian 22" Paragon Ride
    Sabian 19" Paragon China
    Sabian 18" AAX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 18" HHX Xplosion Crash
    Sabian 14" AAX Xlosion Hats
    Sabian 10" AAX Aero Splash
    Sabian XSR Fast Stax
    Wuhan 8" Splash

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by FlyByNight View Post
    Neil Peart learned a lot from Freddy Gruber I believe was his name. Excellent snare technique from him.
    I think Gruber ruined Peart. Neil had plenty of snare drum skills before Gruber and after he was more restrained and took less chances. Just listen to his playing up until the Test for Echo album , his playing before that album (Gruber) was better.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by n2bluz View Post
    i suspect many (if not most) of the top-shelf drummers are more than capable of laying down some great rudiments on the snare....if the song calls for it. A good drummer is 50% being able to play anything and 50% knowing what not to play.
    boom!

User Info Menu

His other rudiments were OK, but for someone who is supposedly 1 of the best around, his single stroke roll was bad, bordering on pathetic.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rock drummers and snare drum technique ( lack of ?? )

it's said Dennis Davis (David Bowie) influenced a lot of people with his snare off the Low record. I listened to some of it and didn'tt really hear it. He sounded good on the song Fame though
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN