Thread: A Huge Bummer !

User Info Menu

Default A Huge Bummer !

A big story in the statewide newspaper this morning has the best club in town closing on June 1st.
    This place is a 20,000 sq. ft. sprawling property that houses a seafood restaurant, two private party rooms, a large outdoor deck overlooking the river and a cool bar area that provides live music and plenty of room for dancing.
    On a crowded night when we have played there, we will have 400 patrons in the bar/deck area.

As far as gigging there, it is top notch -- 25X15 stage, good lights, good PA/soundman, and good pay for the evening..............always a successful gig.
    And they love us there because they "like the crowds we draw", i.e., the over-35 crowd with disposable income.

I had talked to the bar manager only a few weeks ago and he booked us for the remainder of the calendar year -- April, July, October, and December.
    At this moment, the only gig we will play is the April date.

I'm guessing the half-page story in the paper today 60 days before the closure is an attempt to see if any other enterprising group wants to step in and give this place a run.
    It has a history of operations that goes back 45 years and it is one of the most popular places in town.
    The story reflects that the weekends draw awesome business but the weekdays are not doing well.............very sad.

For many years, we have counted on 4 or 5 gigs per year at this venue and always had a great time.
    For a band that plays monthly, we may have just lost a lot..................I'll pray that someone takes the place and keeps it going.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Default Re: A Huge Bummer !

Man, too bad. All good things come to and end, as the old saying goes. Sorry.

User Info Menu

That's too bad man. You've mentioned this place a lot as the "go to venue" for gigs in your town. There aren't to many venues in Sacramento that support local musicians. Sacramento hosted the largest Dixieland Jubilee west of the Mississippi during the Memorial Day weekend for many years but the sponsors dried up and the cost to run the events was the killer.

User Info Menu

Wow. That really sucks. The bad part is it could give the remaining local venues more leverage in terms of paying bands. Who knows, maybe the other venues will be calling, wanting “your crowd”, and be willing to pay for it. ....as one door closes, another one usually opens. Just keep doing what you’re doing.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

nothing worse than good places closing.. especially when they book bands and are great venues to play...

live music is dying and it's the saddest thing ever

User Info Menu

A lot of clubs just were too expensive to go to. We played a club when we were getting ready to call it a day, this was about '04 or '05, that charged $12 for a bottle of Bud.

When I got out of the service (Nov 17th, 1969) and started playing in local bands, there were probably around 20 bars and small clubs that had bands every week. Most of the time you would make $200- $250 a night playing Thursday, Friday, and Saturday, and that's not counting the couple of churches that still had Friday or Saturday night dances.

Then the bands started screwing themselves. I was sitting in a good friends bar, (I used to deliver milk for him when I was 13. 6 nights a week for $18) when our guitar player comes in and tells me that a certain band told a bar owner that instead of the usual $200 to $250 a night, they wanted $400. He told them no way, but he was also without a band for that weekend.

That was the start, slow but steady. Bands wanted more money, bars started charging more for drinks, people would still go out but nurse their drinks for an hour. In the '70's, there were 20 bands working every week in 20 different bars/clubs. When I left in 2012, there were 5.
    Last edited by rickthedrummer; 04-29-2019 at 09:06 AM.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

One of our nicest venues, IMHO, closed about 10 years ago after being around since I can remember. Fifty years at least. It reopened under new management for a few years, closed and reopened under a new name, new management for a year, closed and reopened again last fall with another new name and a lot of remodeling. It's the most up to date, ever and still a nice place to play.

I'd venture a guess that someone will see the business op. and make another run at it. That building sounds way too nice to let it close for good. Not likely the town is going to allow it to not generate tax money. Keep the faith but don't expect to play there any time soon if any kind of remodel takes place first.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Wow. That really sucks. The bad part is it could give the remaining local venues more leverage in terms of paying bands. Who knows, maybe the other venues will be calling, wanting “your crowd”, and be willing to pay for it. ....as one door closes, another one usually opens. Just keep doing what you’re doing.
    There are a couple of clubs that may try that................one is pretty good -- the other is slime-ball -- I have had previous arguments with my one band-mate wanting us to play there.
    Me and the bass player argue that the place is not good enough (on multiple levels); I'm afraid the argument will return now that the best joint is closing.

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    nothing worse than good places closing.. especially when they book bands and are great venues to play...
    live music is dying and it's the saddest thing ever
    I hate it -- this place is described as a "landmark" in this town.

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    In the '70's, there were 20 bands working every week in 20 different bars/clubs. When I left in 2012, there were 5.
    YES ! I remember the 70s in Dallas...............there were more clubs offering live music than there were good bands.
    We were in demand and the gigs were six nights per week (and paid cash)................good old days.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    One of our nicest venues, IMHO, closed about 10 years ago after being around since I can remember. Fifty years at least. It reopened under new management for a few years, closed and reopened under a new name, new management for a year, closed and reopened again last fall with another new name and a lot of remodeling. It's the most up to date, ever and still a nice place to play.
    I'd venture a guess that someone will see the business op. and make another run at it. That building sounds way too nice to let it close for good. Not likely the town is going to allow it to not generate tax money. Keep the faith but don't expect to play there any time soon if any kind of remodel takes place first.
    I think this is a possibility and I think you might be right, Bish.
    I'm hoping someone gives it another run.
    I would also be very happy if somehow the current bar manager is employed there too; he loves us.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

The best place to play on the southside of Atlanta ran into trouble recently for illegal gambling. They have a poker room behind glass in the back of the club but i think the trouble came from the slot machines.

I guess they're supposed to be played for bar credits etc but people were getting cash instead. Hopefully it wont get shut down.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

This is a photo of part of the deck along the river which is a section of the bar/music area.
    When the weather is good, the venue will have acoustic guitarists/vocalists out here before the headliner plays inside starting at 9PM................

cajun_s-warf[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That building sounds way too nice to let it close for good. Not likely the town is going to allow it to not generate tax money. Keep the faith but don't expect to play there any time soon if any kind of remodel takes place first.
    I found out recently that the place would need a significant update from the landlord if he wants to keep it rented.
    Let's hope that happens.
    In the meantime (unless and until that happens), our final gig-date is this Saturday night, April 27th.
    We are bringing in one special set and will play 9PM until 11:30 with no break -- the DJ will take over at 11:30PM.
    We will use the first 2 hours to play all the required dance material and then we will use the final 30 minutes to end it the way we want to end it.
    I've cleared this with the bar manager and he loves the idea.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

All too common now here in the UK. One local club has just announced it is to close only last week :( Live Music is on it's arse to be honest at the moment. My local city has lost about 15 venues that I can think of over the past 10 years.
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

We played the big set; the crowd was large and enthusiastic..............a very good (but bittersweet) night.
    During my later conversation with the bar manager, I found out that, so far, there is no word of any other party coming in to keep the place going.
    It is the opinion of the current employees that if anyone does step up, they will need to keep the same weekend vibe and atmosphere to make it work.
    This place has been in continuous operation for 45 years and it is difficult to realize that it will end.

IMG_0003-1[1].jpg
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Little Rock, right on the river.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Yep -- looking North toward the river and you can also see the West end of the large deck that is on the back of the building.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    We played the big set; the crowd was large and enthusiastic..............a very good (but bittersweet) night.
    During my later conversation with the bar manager, I found out that, so far, there is no word of any other party coming in to keep the place going.
    It is the opinion of the current employees that if anyone does step up, they will need to keep the same weekend vibe and atmosphere to make it work.
    This place has been in continuous operation for 45 years and it is difficult to realize that it will end.

IMG_0003-1[1].jpg
    That sucks man...glad you guys had your last hurrah!

User Info Menu

Looks really nice. Something will be back.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yeah it SUCKS that Cajuns is closing. Big hit to Little Rock. I've already seen the local scene just south of Little Rock all but die. The only place we have to play is a weekly jam, and occasional street parties that don't want to pay anything - we just play so we have a place to play in front of a crowd.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

UPDATE:
    A new group has stepped forward with intent to lease this property for a "dining and entertainment experience"...……...is supposed to happen in the next 60 days.
    We will see what happens.
    In the meantime, a new club opened in June (the other side of town) and my band has a our first gig there tomorrow night...…….we have no idea what to expect.
    We are taking our large (outdoor) PA so it might be a kick-butt rock show.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

If you kick a$$, they will come.

I heard that someplace.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

As long as they bring bubble gum.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance