Thread: Others successes

User Info Menu

Default Others successes

Does the sucess of any certain band or person ever bother you?

Are they deserving of it?
    Last edited by slinky; 04-02-2019 at 10:46 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Others successes

Yes! But when you understand that life isn't always fair, it helps a bit. In the music vein, jazz musicians are some of the most accomplished players and often play circles around the rock guys, yet they'll often play for pennies and largely go unnoticed. My first drum teacher was a highly accomplished jazz musician and he didn't get anywhere near the recognition he deserved. Of course, the same with bands. A teen pop band with perfect looking, beautiful youth often become millionaires even though they're often talent-less.

User Info Menu

Hi Tom i was just about to delete what i wrote because i didn't want it to sort of become a hot button topic. I did edit once because i felt like i didn't ask it right.

Thanks
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

There are so many ways that 1 can look at this. Jealous might be the wrong word, the word "envy" might be better. There will always be a better band out there. There will always be a better drummer out there, and we all have to accept that.

"Some bands/individuals can admit to doing a lot of not so good things but seems like they keep getting rewarded for it anyway."

Every one who gigs has seen this. I stopped letting it "get to me" when I was 16 or 17 years old because there is nothing you can do about it except try to be better.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Since for most of us it's not our primary income....lighten up. For years I was super serious about "everything had to be perfect" and no mistakes.

LOL, those days are over. I go have fun with my band and ........................ If we get rebooked, great, if not, on to the next place.

I like to see other bands do well, too. Under the big umbrella, the more bands that profit, the more opportunities for us all to profit.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I am sometimes amused at the path that is chosen by musicians with (arguably) little talent to find their way to success.
    But, hey..............some found it...............more power to 'em.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Nope, it never bother's me to see the success of others regardless if earned or just being in the right place at the right time. That's life...

User Info Menu

Never. In everything, I love to see others succeed. It motivates me to work harder.

User Info Menu

Nope. Life is too short to worry about what others are doing. Sometimes you wonder "How the f*ck did that band get that gig?", but, other than that I'm too busy having fun doing what I do to worry about what others are doing.

User Info Menu

I'm in 2 bands - 1 I've been in with 2 other guys under 2 band names with different players for the last 8 years. It's basically a classic rock band with multiple singers and decent vocals. We've been playing out about once a month, at places ranging from holes in the wall to middle tier clubs with house sound systems and sound guys. Our following is basically family and friends, and hasn't really grown beyond that over the years. But we do gig steadily and the response has always been positive though not overly enthusiastic.
    About 2 years ago my college 80's band reformed, with the same 4 guys and a new female singer. We had our first gig last summer and the response has been phenomenal. This band is drawing twice the number of people as the other band and people are dancing and cheering loudly the whole night. We quickly moved from hole in the wall bars to our first gig at a top tier venue which we will be performing at April 12th. Now this band has much more energy, wears cool stage clothes and plays more uptempo music than the first, which partially explains the reaction.
    The guitarist from the classic rock band, who also works at the same company as me, seems very bitter about the success of the other band, yet he does nothing to improve the situation. He doesn't promote, he rarely goes after gigs, has no energy on stage and doesn't bother learning the right parts on guitar, just playing the chords but not the signature leads as everyone knows them. In fact, we lost the best venue we had in large part due to the owner's dissatisfaction with his playing. Rather than make any effort, he just complains, and feels sorry for himself that his band is a "boring, old man band". He even wondered out loud to me if maybe I was less motivated in this band because of the other band, when I still make 10x the effort he does. He comes to most gigs of my other band and always has some little comment about the sound, in which he believes he is an expert(by virtue of his having 2 ears). Meanwhile, in his own band he has made no effort to learn how to set up the PA or run the mixer. I had to step up and learn it myself.
    Generally I like the guy and we are friends, but I'm really tired of his attitude. I even feel like I can't talk too much about the 80's band with him because it will hurt his feelings. For a guy who's nearing 70, he really acts like a child sometimes

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo View Post
    I am sometimes amused at the path that is chosen by musicians with (arguably) little talent to find their way to success.
    But, hey..............some found it...............more power to 'em.
    Yeah, like the beatles. I'm was about due to open that old can of worms anyway.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

I don’t begrudge others for their success in drumming, life, or finances. I’m doin me. You gotta do you
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Some great answers here.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nubdrummer View Post
    Rather than make any effort, he just complains, and feels sorry for himself that his band is a "boring, old man band". He even wondered out loud to me if maybe I was less motivated in this band because of the other band, when I still make 10x the effort he does.
    Generally I like the guy and we are friends, but I'm really tired of his attitude. I even feel like I can't talk too much about the 80's band with him because it will hurt his feelings. For a guy who's nearing 70, he really acts like a child sometimes
    To that guy, I would simply say this:
    "I'm really enjoying (the other band) because everyone gives their best effort; you should try it too because even at our age it is very rewarding."

Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    Yeah, like the beatles.
    I said "little talent".
    Even if you don't like their instrument-playing abilities, one must consider the amazing provision of 213 pop compositions in 10 years, 20 of which were #1 hits.
    Their ability to churn out songs that make money was truly remarkable.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

"I'm really enjoying (the other band) because everyone gives their best effort; you should try it too because even at our age it is very rewarding."

I said "little talent".
    Even if you don't like their instrument-playing abilities, one must consider the amazing provision of 213 pop compositions in 10 years, 20 of which were #1 hits.
    Many iconic bands were not proficient at their instruments when they started out. U2 is another example. The real talent lies in writing music. Being a creator is a rare gift; anyone can pick up an instrument and become reasonably good at playing other people's songs.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I said "little talent".
    Back then, if they had written a song about taking a poop on a yellow submarine while a walrus waited to go next, it would have sold. Had they come up 3-4 years earlier or 3-4 years later, they would have been laughed out of the US.

Ricky, you and I agree on most posts put up on DC, BUT, not this time.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

You guys kept it local as in your peers so to speak... that's cool. I've met a couple loval drummers that have their heads pretty far up thier *** but 90% of the local bands are always cool and i enjoy seeing them play.

Rick kinda touched on what i was relating to originally... bands that made it to the rich n famous level.

Seems like 2 or 3 things always come into play.. along with some talent of course either musically or a knack for buisness..
    Getting extremely lucky, knowing someone or being in the right place at the right time ... i think a lot of em realize it too weather they want to admit it or not.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

While luck can play a part in it, I believe Luck favors the prepared. And sometimes, you still roll snake eyes. That’s life fam.

There’s a great documentary series on Netflix, called Losers, that follows up on people who didn’t win/make it/washed up.

Great documentary 10/10
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

Sounds like a Winner
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Success is rarely if ever a result of talent alone. Luck, timing, sheer determination and hard work all play a bigger role. One thing for sure is success will NEVER come to someone who sits and waits for it to come to them. I just watched the Motley Crue film "The Dirt" and while I'm not a fan and they certainly are not the most talented songwriters or musicians, I believe they earned their fame by having a vision of what their target audience was looking for and then working hard to make that vision a reality.

Acoustic Kits:
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:

Cymbals:

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

A lot play the part really well as hellraisers and party animals. Tommy Aldridge said once "you'd be surprised how many bad boys of rock are drinking milk in their dressing rooms". David Lee Roth was really into production during the VH heydays.. doesn't mean he didn't party but it wasn't 24/7.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    A lot play the part really well as hellraisers and party animals. Tommy Aldridge said once "you'd be surprised how many bad boys of rock are drinking milk in their dressing rooms".
    I was a sound company roadie in the 70s and I did some work on an Alice Cooper tour -- the hardest drug he ever did was a Budweiser -- if there was a Major League Baseball game on TV, he would rather watch that than do the gig..............."Vince" is actually a very nice and normal person.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian

User Info Menu

In R&R, image is everything. Back in the'60's, Dion was "cool", Bobby Vinton wasn't.

These days it seems to me that almost every band you see has to act "cool" and flash gang signs like their a bunch of bada$$'s.

I really don't follow music that much anymore. I couldn't tell you who's hot and who's not, mainly because I could care less.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS