Thread: Snare too loud

User Info Menu

Default Snare too loud

While I don't think so some guys I fill in for say my snare is way too loud. It's a Mapex BP maple with a coated Genera dry head and a single ply resonant. I have tried moon gels, rings, and even a cloth patch to satisfy them. They still say it's too loud. Personally I think it's because they are used to have a drummer who uses an E kit. I would be more than happy to use an E kit but do not have one. Any advice is appreciated.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare too loud

Play softer and don’t use rimshots.
    "The chances of being attacked and killed by a terrorist are less than the chances of being attacked and killed by your own heart"
    Carrying the message to Garcia. Today and everyday.
    Temple Beth Snare Buzz-Head Rabbi

User Info Menu

There’s no such thing as a snare that’s “too loud” on stage. The easier it is for them to hear the back-beat, the better. The only thing that matters is if it’s too loud out in front. Unless they’re standing out front, they’re perception means little. If they’re used to an e-kit getting pumped through the monitors and mains, then it probably IS louder on stage...but it needs to be. This a totally different scenario unless you mic the snare.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

If anyone ever tells me my snare is to loud I thank them for noticing. Then play harder

User Info Menu

I just think of all the guitar players that try to get their amps up to 11.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

give them earplugs.. but in all fairness if it's too loud out front as said earlier that could be a problem in smaller rooms. i went to see a local cover band last week at a smaller bar room and his cymbals were so loud almost to a point of annoying at times.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Drape a towel over the snare.

7a341cec70b555853b586e420ab41aa9.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    If anyone ever tells me my snare is too loud I thank them for noticing. Then play harder
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    I just think of all the guitar players that try to get their amps up to 11.
    HAHAHA............Both are correct !
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals