Thread: New guy with zero experience looking for advice:

User Info Menu

Default New guy with zero experience looking for advice:

Hi Everyone,

I'm interested in learning to play the drums and have no idea where to start. Do I buy an electronic set (how elaborate a set-up), take lessons, watch videos, buy books etc? I live alone so house noise isn't much of an issue but I do have neighbors within earshot.

Thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New guy with zero experience looking for advice:

I always tell my students to start small and work their way up. I start mine on a practice pad where they begin to learn proper stick control and rudiments. I work them up to a four piece kit from there.

There are a lot of great videos on YouTube that are free that you can learn from. A good book would be Jim Riley's Survival Guide for the Modern Drummer. He breaks down multiple genres of music, and you get a free audio book to play along with.

Get yourself a metronome also. I use a smartphone app called Tempo. I either practice with my in ears, or use a bluetooth speaker.

I mentioned the practice pad. I've been playing for 30 years and still practice rudiments and stick control on one. At the end of the day we never stop learning.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

What DrumWhipper said. Start small and add equipment as you progress. You will progress faster than someone who drops a trajillion bucks on a Neil Peart setup and is totally overwhelmed, and that will be a lot more fun than feeling lost. And nothing says you can't maintain a groove on a practice pad while you listen to some tunes. Finding a good instructor will help a great deal, and you'll be especially lucky if you can find one with the experience to tailor their instruction to your individual needs and learning style.
    The boomy things:
    Mapex Orion Classic 6 pc, transparent violet burl
    The pingy/crashy things:
    K Custom Dark and K Darks
    K Sweet
    Meinl Byzance
    Silken Sebring and Avus
    Dream Bliss and Contact
    More cowbells than I have cows.
    The "quiet time" things:
    Zildjian L80 low volume cymbals
    Aquarian Super-Pads
    Roland TD9, Pintech drum triggers, Yamaha cymbal triggers

User Info Menu

the problem I have with online is there is to much information... to much conflicting information...

I'd honestly just try to get some coordination and look into private lessons.

User Info Menu

Thank you for the replies. I think I'll start with the suggested practice pad, a couple of sticks, a book and the metronome app to start as suggested. Thank you all again.

User Info Menu

Grab your favorite songs, a set of drum sticks and a handful of pillows. Arrange them on a couch like a drum set and use the coffee table as your seat and just play the pillows like a drum set and jam to your favorite songs. Soon enough you'll either realize you can keep up or you are totally lost.

I'm not dissing anything said above but many times people with good intentions try taking on too much and get overwhelmed and the next thing you know they've lost interest.

Make it fun. If you find the challenge to improve doesn't go away then go after more serious gear and perhaps a coach or teacher that can open doors you don't know exist. (figuratively speaking, of course)

Either way, good luck and enjoy the journey.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Clark, my approach is a bit different. I don't believe in telling a beginning student to start on a practice pad because for most beginning students that's boring. If you want to play drumset, buy a small inexpensive drumset and start playing around on it. But... make sure that you are learning properly (hand technique, basic rudiments, etc.) so that you don't pick up too many bad habits along the way. All of the practice pad advice above still applies. I just think students are more apt to stay engaged if they're also playing the drumset while working on the practice pad.

User Info Menu

And welcome to our Drum Chat family!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Clark, my approach is a bit different. I don't believe in telling a beginning student to start on a practice pad because for most beginning students that's boring. If you want to play drumset, buy a small inexpensive drumset and start playing around on it. But... make sure that you are learning properly (hand technique, basic rudiments, etc.) so that you don't pick up too many bad habits along the way. All of the practice pad advice above still applies. I just think students are more apt to stay engaged if they're also playing the drumset while working on the practice pad.
    +1, this is my teaching philosophy as well. A healthy mix of work and fun along with a good teacher to instill the proper technique is a must, IMO ...

User Info Menu

Yes, don’t spend a “trajillion bucks!” Get a starter kit and beginner lessons from a real person.
    SONOR 6 pc Special Edition 3007's red maple, old Pearl Brass 14x6 FF snare, Yamaha Tour Custom maple 8 pc., Tama 4 pc., honey amber B/B, Ludwig Supralite chrome 14x6.5 steel snare, Paiste, Saluda & Zildjian
    Loaned out Slingerland upgraded 4 pc 1963 black, wrapped maple + 14" Pearl birch FT
    The Almighty Speed King pedal, Speed Cobra, Sonor Single

http://www.screaminmelinas.com
    http://www.facebook.com/DerailedRockers/

User Info Menu

Thanks again, all. I did buy a practice pad and started with the basic rudiments. While it is a bit boring, I'm not the most rhythmic person on the planet and it shows. Anyway, I'm also not opposed to banging on a cheaper set of drums too. Any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Clark W. View Post
    Thanks again, all. I did buy a practice pad and started with the basic rudiments. While it is a bit boring, I'm not the most rhythmic person on the planet and it shows. Anyway, I'm also not opposed to banging on a cheaper set of drums too. Any suggestions?
    I bought my son a Mapex Rebel for around $400. It is a five piece. It would be a solid starter kit.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Some real nice used kits can be had for $100 to $250 if you watch the local Craig’s List, Facebook Marketplace and such. Another excellent source for used kits is Music-Go-Round. The hard part is knowing what’s complete junk and what’s decent. Probably best if you can have a friend who knows drums (or a drum teacher) help you locate a kit. From my experience, if you’re buying a used kit from a “bedroom drummer” or someone who “just doesn’t have the time” or who “never really caught on to it”...chances are it will be over-priced or junk. All they want is to sell something they don’t use for as much as they can. Most of the time they know very little about drums themselves and don’t care. HOWEVER, if you find a used kit from someone who’s an established & active drummer (especially if they’re playing in a band), most of them will go out of their way to help you get set up with a good solid kit.
    A couple years ago, I sold an older but solid Pearl Export kit on CL for $250. When I found out the buyer was just starting out, I hooked him up. I put some of the best used heads I had on it, cleaned it up and tuned it up proper. I then went through all my old hardware I had laying around. I gave him a good working kick pedal, hi-hat stand, some cymbal stands and even a good ride cymbal...all for the same $250. I would rather have all that stuff go to someone who needs and would use it then have it collect dust. I believe most everyone on this forum, as well as most established drummers I’ve ever met would do the same for someone starting out. It’s like “the drummers code”.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 04-13-2019 at 07:54 PM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Some of the archive links don't work ever since they updated the site but here's an older thread that I found that might still be helpful:

Beginner Drum Kits, Intermediate Drum Kits, Advanced Drumkits