Thread: Going without cymbal stands for now

User Info Menu

Default Going without cymbal stands for now

I'm going with Gibraltar stealth vertical mounting system for now and eliminating conventional cymbal stands and I like it! lol. All the booming arms are SP/ mini arms( except 2 ). I'm going to try it out with a couple of other sets to see how I like it over all. No more cymbal legs to trip over.DSC01929.jpgDSC01928.jpg I'm going to cut off up to 6" and re-cap the front part of the snare side after I go through setting up with the other kits.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Going without cymbal stands for now

Man, what a set-up nightmare, lol (For me anyway). If I reach down to move the snare stand horizontally, I can't with this set-up. Not quickly anyway. As well, it would be hard to move the cymbal stands if you wanted to do it quickly. For me, this is WAY too restrictive. That would drive me crazy! LOL

User Info Menu

See I disagree with Drummer... I am actually switching over to the stealth rack system for myself. I'm super excited.
    I'm tired of all the stands and going back to try to place them in the same spot over and over...
    try to extend the legs to the correct length and place them in the same spot... I'M DONE WITH THAT

I am a rack guy and there's no changing my mind. Even with my simple hand me down Bish kit I still favor consistency and speed.
    With a rack once I have it setup to my liking it will always be at my liking and setup and tear down is quicker and easier.

User Info Menu

I’ve never tried a rack, but then again, I don’t use a ton of cymbals. Having a ride mounted to my BD eliminates one stand, so I can get by with only two. I could be wrong, but I doubt a rack would be much benefit for me.

Also, like Drummer said, I frequent move my snare during the course of 4hrs. At the start, I’m usually sitting up close. By the end of the night, I’m usually sitting 12” farther back just to allow my legs to stretch out.
    Last edited by N2Bluz; 04-14-2019 at 10:43 AM.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I still like my stands.. it can be a pain sometimes but that's ok.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Yeah, I don't diss guys who like it. To each his own. I've only used a rack system when touring (roadies set it up and tore it down) and once with this house gig I played 4 nights a week, but the snare and hi-hats were free-standing. Otherwise, I can't stand dragging all that rack stuff around for small gigs around town.

User Info Menu

Nice set up drummerMD! It looks like you spent some time dialing in the rack system.

User Info Menu

Thanks late! I'm now on drum set two, 1 up and 2 down. This one with remote Hi-Hat so the Hi-Hat is more out in front of me so it's more 'open- hand' when I'm playing instead of my right arm crossing over. Way better that way! lol. DSC01933.jpgDSC01938.jpg I know, realistically this is what I'd really show up at a gig with on this one. lol.DSC01863.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    This one with remote Hi-Hat so the Hi-Hat is more out in front of me so it's more 'open- hand' when I'm playing instead of my right arm crossing over. Way better that way!
    Interesting placement for the remote hihat. So basically speaking, you're leading with the right hand on the hats but with the hats on the left side? I gather your throne must be placed somewhere near the apex of the triangle? In another words, if the kick was at 12:00 o'clock you would be more prone to face the 11:00 o'clock position in order to favor open handed playing with your right hand leading over the hats.....right?

DSC01938.jpg

I'm liking the idea more and more as I think about it but due to my short reach, I'd probably have to off set the hihats more towards the ride like this drummer:

2.jpg
    Last edited by late8; 04-18-2019 at 02:56 PM.

User Info Menu

Yes, that's correct, for me, it's in line with the drum sticks. Positioning on the Hi-Hat is perfect! I like the majority of the toms to my right. My left hand striking the Hi-Hat is perfect! and the fast crash is right over the Hats.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 04-19-2019 at 06:45 PM.

User Info Menu

drummerMD, a little off topic but I noticed you have white carpet. If you don't already have it there, put a cloth or something under your foot pedals or the metal will stain the carpets from constant playing. I can't tell you how many times I've been chewed out by my wife, lol. I've learned the hard way.

User Info Menu

Thank's Tom, actually the carpet in my living room is beige and the carpet in the Master bedroom which is my drum room is light blue. The drums that I set up in my living room aren't there very long, no more than a couple of day's. I am a retired bachelor so my drum room is the master bedroom! lol. Southern California there are no basements.
    Last edited by drummerMD; 04-19-2019 at 07:04 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Yes, that's correct, for me, it's in line with the drum sticks. Positioning on the Hi-Hat is perfect! I like the majority of the toms to my right. My left hand striking the Hi-Hat is perfect! and the fast crash is right over the Hats.
    Thanks for the clarification!

User Info Menu

Just gone down the exact same route myself. Both Stealth Racks & everything is great. Extremely sturdy & infinitely adjustable.

fullsizeoutput_f47 by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    Pearl Masters Premium Maple "Redline" by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.