Thread: How Many Bands Do You Play In?

User Info Menu

Default How Many Bands Do You Play In?

When I was younger, most of us just played in one band. It seems the trend here in Virginia is that musicians are playing in like 2 or 3 different bands, sometimes 4 or 5 different bands. Is that happening where you live too?

User Info Menu

Default Re: How Many Bands Do You Play In?

I play in one band but I do have friends that will play in multiple bands.
    One drummer friend of mine plays in 4 or 5.................but it's all just jam stuff.................not my thing.
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

1 is enough
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

When I was gigging, I played in one band.

User Info Menu

One band for me at this point. My bass player bud is in two. I guess it depends upon how many times a month a musician wants to play. A lot of musicians around here want to play six to ten times a month and it's hard to find a single band that plays that often ...
    Last edited by dangermoney; 04-15-2019 at 06:33 PM.

User Info Menu

I just play in one. But, I do all the booking, scheduling and promotion, as well as owning/financing the PA system, hauling 90% of the equipment and load-out by myself (since it’s all in my vehicle). Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to just have someone give me a date & time, show up with my own kit, play, collect money and then leave.
    Two of my guitarists play in multiple bands, however. One has his own band that takes priority (as it should be). He plays with us most of the time, but if there’s a conflict, he plays with them. I never consider his schedule when I book; we can get by without him.
    The other guitarist is basically a professional musician. He does a solo Blues act, sits in with several other bands when he can and is also the lead guitarist for a well known and respected recording artist. I book around his schedule, because he’s our front-man and singer for half our songs. So far, he’s been great to work with. If he says he can play, you can count on him. If needed, he can play 4hrs with us backing him up.
    I’d prefer to have everyone dedicated to just our band, but there are advantages; we’ve had several doors open by connections through association.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    I just play in one. But, I do all the booking, scheduling and promotion, as well as owning/financing the PA system, hauling 90% of the equipment and load-out by myself (since it’s all in my vehicle). Sometimes I wonder what it would be like to just have someone give me a date & time, show up with my own kit, play, collect money and then leave.
    Two of my guitarists play in multiple bands, however. One has his own band that takes priority (as it should be). He plays with us most of the time, but if there’s a conflict, he plays with them. I never consider his schedule when I book; we can get by without him.
    The other guitarist is basically a professional musician. He does a solo Blues act, sits in with several other bands when he can and is also the lead guitarist for a well known and respected recording artist. I book around his schedule, because he’s our front-man and singer for half our songs. So far, he’s been great to work with. If he says he can play, you can count on him. If needed, he can play 4hrs with us backing him up.
    I’d prefer to have everyone dedicated to just our band, but there are advantages; we’ve had several doors open by connections through association.
    Man that's crazy Brian. I hope you're getting extra pay for the extra work you're doing.

User Info Menu

"If needed, he can play 4hrs with us backing him up."

I wonder how he would have liked our schedule? 4 50 minute sets, then come back the next night and do it all over again, then the next night etc.etc., then move on and do it the next week, then the week after that etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc.etc. for 4 1/2 decades.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

How can no other band members not help load in n out the p.a.? That's morally wrong.

The playing sets all night for a living is hard work. How did you combat burnout Rick?

I think i'd get totally burned out doing it.

Forgot the question lol... only 1 band at a time for me. I just don't have the drive to do much more than that.
    Last edited by slinky; 04-16-2019 at 07:34 AM.
    RDM/Damage Poets
    UFiP TAMAHA Zildjian
    REGAL TiP
    AQUARIAN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Man that's crazy Brian. I hope you're getting extra pay for the extra work you're doing.
    Sometimes I keep a little extra, but usually I end up taking less so I can pay the other guys more. It depends on the gig. $400 (occasionally $350) split 6 ways is not a lot, LOL. Thankfully, no one is to concerned about the money. We all live for the next gig and to play music together. It’s our escape from the world.
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

I'm in 2 bands. Started out in one after a 30 year hiatus from playing. Then my band from the 80's decided to reunite, so I couldn't refuse. Each band currently plays about once a month so it's not too hectic, although we have the same female singer in both bands and she does this for a living, so she gigs with multiple other projects. She is very good about giving me her updated schedule, which is helpful.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by slinky View Post
    How can no other band members not help load in n out the p.a.? That's morally wrong.

The playing sets all night for a living is hard work. How did you combat burnout Rick?

I think i'd get totally burned out doing it.

Forgot the question lol... only 1 band at a time for me. I just don't have the drive to do much more than that.
    Hard work was driving that oil truck in the Jersey winters. Playing 4 sets a night was easy.

If you seen some of my videos, several times I've been told I make it look easy. I make it look easy because it is easy, it's the drummer who makes it hard.

As for avoiding burnout, change your songs around, keep things fresh and you won't burn out.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

Just play in 2 1/2 bands now....... At one time it was 6...........
    The Varukers.

User Info Menu

I’m in one band, but play drums with three other solo artists, it’s busy but I like it like that :-)
    Bridie

User Info Menu

One. I have played in as many as 3 bands at one time. Became way too hectic.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Sounds like you need some new ground rules my friend.

User Info Menu

Back in the '80's, I would have given strong consideration to the "BANGLES" as a 2nd band.

VAE VICTIS

WILL ROGERS