Thread: Rough experience this week

User Info Menu

Default Rough experience this week

So I am a type one diabetic, and there are a lot of challenges that come with that. I woke up about 2am Monday morning to EMT's beside my bed with an IV in my arm.

Apparently my sugar got down into the 20's and my wife couldn't get me to wake up. They pumped me full of sugar via the IV to get me back to conciousness. I had at least one seizure during the episode, and the inside of my cheeks and gums are all chewed up.

I'm feeling better now, other than leg cramps and a headache that I'm still dealing with.

Good news is the CT scan showed good results and other than being low on energy I am good to go again.

My PCP is running tests and will be adjusting my insulin to carbohydrate ratio in order to help combat this from happening again.
    Six Piece Mapex Saturn V, Five Piece DW Performance Series, NOS Slingerland Snares, Centent Ardor and Emperor Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Rough experience this week

GOOD LUCK DW!!!

You are a drummer so I know that you can kick a$$, take names, and deal with this.
    YOU MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU KNOW.

YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE DEVIL YOU DON'T KNOW.

VAE VICTIS

ONCE YOU HIT A CERTAIN AGE, YOU BECOME PERMANENTLY UNIMPRESSED BY A LOT OF CRAP.

I HIT THAT AGE 20 YEARS AGO.

IF DOGS CAN'T GO TO HEAVEN, I WANT TO GO WHERE THEY GO

WILL ROGERS

User Info Menu

^^^ This.................
    Gretsch USA & Zildjian
    (What Else Would I Ever Need ?)

User Info Menu

My son was diagnosed with Type 1 Diabetes a few years ago and I have witnessed the struggle. He has recently started using the Freestyle glucose monitoring system, and he says it helps him control his levels more efficiently.

Acoustic Kits:
    Ludwig Maple 3ply White Cortex 4 pc
    Rukus Mod Orange Club 4 pc
    DW Design 6 pc
    Tama Silverstar Limited Edition Mirage 5 pc
    Tama Superstar 5 pc
    Tama Rockstar 4 pc
    Gretsch Catalina Ash 4 pc

Slingerland 7 pc

Electronic Kits:
    Yamaha DTX532k
    Roland TD-27, Roland PD-85 (x4), PD-125, KD9, CY-8 (x2) VH-10, Lemon 15 and 18 cymbals
    Roland SPD-SX Sample Pad

Snares:
    Tama SLP Black Brass
    Tama SLP G Maple
    Rukus Santos/Bubinga/Poplar/Wenge
    Rukus Avodire/Maple/Mahogany
    1972 Ludwig Supraphonic

Hardware:
    Tama, DW, Yamaha and Sonor

Cymbals:
    Zildjian A Series, A Custom and K Custom

Microphones:
    Miktek, Audix and Shure

User Info Menu

I had a student who came into lessons a couple of Saturdays ago and he literally had to stop playing cause his counts went off and he didn't feel well instantly.
    it was crazy

User Info Menu

I had a friend who had juvenile Type 1 diabetes. She had a hell of a time controlling it and had many reactions requiring the orange juice administration intervention. She eventually got a pump installed that seemed to really level her off and improve her quality of life. She was actually in on the ground floor level development of these systems and had a few early versions culminating in the one that worked well until her eventual demise from ovarian cancer in her 60s.
    No doubt you've been counceled on the availability of these pumps. They've gotten quite sophisticated and I think they may be able to test sugar levels themselves as opposed to being on a timer or manual control. She still had to do some testing or some kind of monitoring as I recall.
    If you're having insulin reactions in your sleep, may this not be the answer?
    Last edited by noreastbob; 04-25-2019 at 10:34 AM.

User Info Menu

DW...I'm glad you're feeling better. I have type2 diabetes and I control my glucose levels with diet and exercise. So far so good but I suffer from hypoglycemia and must eat every 3 hours in order to keep my glucose levels from crashing. Hang in there brother!

User Info Menu

God bless you guys.
    Signature here