Thread: The Duckfoot wins!!!! YAMAHA

User Info Menu

Default The Duckfoot wins!!!! YAMAHA

Really like using my 18" and 20" bass drums but you know that usual complaint about it not being lifted correctly? Solved.....

Introduing the Yamaha Duckfoot riser system. Once I understood how it works and what to expect, I went full on.....literally.

Picture story begins now....

Signature here

User Info Menu

Default Re: The Duckfoot wins!!!! YAMAHA

Signature here

User Info Menu

Signature here

User Info Menu

Any Questions?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Mucho respect to anyone that drills into drum shells.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post
    Agreed, I use my Gibraltar riser and it work's great. totally simple and very compact.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by inthpktplayer View Post

I was thinking the same thing. I don't have the kahoozas to do it, lol.

User Info Menu

That design is basically the same as the Pearl JG16 riser.
    Only difference is the Pearl has the “foot” section vertically adjustable on the tube as well. The nice part to that is you can actually let the end of the tube rest on the floor and adjust the foot height to match your pedal. The weight of the drum doesn’t rest on the pedal. If you cut the tube to the proper length, you don’t have to drill the big hole in the shell...just the 3 holes to mount the Pearl tom mount.

73B2EEAF-A841-4F54-9A36-E9274284531B.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post
    Only difference is the Pearl has the “foot” section vertically adjustable on the tube as well. The nice part to that is you can actually let the end of the tube rest on the floor and adjust the foot height to match your pedal. The weight of the drum doesn’t rest on the pedal. If you cut the tube to the proper length, you don’t have to drill the big hole in the shell...just the 3 holes to mount the Pearl tom mount.

Yeah, that's better On the Yamaha, by not drilling the center hole you could eliminate the inner plate and put fender washers instead on the 4 small bolts and cut the tube to length and put a felt peel and stick pad where the tube would make contact to the shell so it wouldn't scratch the shell. You wouldn't see all of that anyway.

User Info Menu

Good stuff guys. I did lots of research but apparently not enough.

Oh well. I bought the drums to play around with. I also put YESS mounts on the 14" and 16" floor toms to mount them to a tripod. I'm having a blast and can gig the kit even so.

I even combined the tripod to hold the ride and both floor toms. I'm using the small boom arm on there and on the bass drum for my splash.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Well, drilling is drilling...whether it’s 3 small holes or 4 small holes and 1 big hole! I’m just too lazy to drill that big hole, LOL. Having the tube hole does give you added range of height adjustment.
    Either way, I can attest to the rock-solid stability of the riser attach directly to the shell. In some ways, it’s more stable than even clamping directly to the hoop...especially if your pedal doesn’t have a solid plate for the base. Also, having the beater hit dead center improves not only the sound, but also the feel. You can shorten the beater shaft, but then you lose beater velocity and power..

If you wanted to get by without drilling ANY holes, you could use a triple flange metal tom hoop and a Pearl ISS mount that clamps to it. The triple flange hoop also gives increased clearance for the pedal chain/linkage. The disadvantages are potential hoop flex/bending and being limited to only heads designed for toms (many heads designed for BD hoops will not fit inside a triple flange tom hoop). Another option would be to use a Pearl Opti-mount. That gives the added advantage of using a BD hoop AND provides front-to-back adjustment for perfect pedal placement so the beater strikes the head without traveling past center in its arc. It would, however, add extra weight/bulk.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Since my 2 20X20 bass drums are virgin bass drums and there is no weight on them my Gibraltar riser works great! I just turn the two bolts around so the wing nuts are facing to the back and they are not in the way of the pedal.th.jpg

User Info Menu

Hey, drummer. Can we get a like button? Pretty please?

Thanks for the tips guys. Great stuff!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Hey, drummer. Can we get a like button? Pretty please?

Thanks for the tips guys. Great stuff!
    Hey Bish, it's all good! lol.

User Info Menu

I was over on one of the Yamaha FB pages chatting about my experience and I guess the one thing that I wanted out of this project was a shell mounted solution. I got it. I'm happy but I do see how much is out there for other choices. You guys rock!

As long as I've been doing this....there's still stuff to absorb. That's another reason I keep coming back here!

On another note, have you guys seen some of the new finishes coming out for the new model year on all the brands?

Some stunning stuff. I need more drums.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerMD View Post
    Since my 2 20X20 bass drums are virgin bass drums and there is no weight on them my Gibraltar riser works great! I just turn the two bolts around so the wing nuts are facing to the back and they are not in the way of the pedal.th.jpg
    Typical chain and strap driven pedals fare pretty well. Direct drive is where most problems are. Both my old Speed King and my Pearl Demon Direct pedals are more difficult to use with a riser. The linkages stick out more and would require notching of the wood hoop for clearance.

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I was over on one of the Yamaha FB pages chatting about my experience and I guess the one thing that I wanted out of this project was a shell mounted solution. I got it. I'm happy but I do see how much is out there for other choices. You guys rock!

As long as I've been doing this....there's still stuff to absorb. That's another reason I keep coming back here!

On another note, have you guys seen some of the new finishes coming out for the new model year on all the brands?

Some stunning stuff. I need more drums.
    It’s just money. Enjoy it if you got it! It seems most all the new finishes are wood, which is great, but I’d like to see some of the vintage wraps like pearls, oysters, etc. be available on mid level kits. Example; I like the new Ludwig NuSonic line, but I don’t care for the 3 available colors. I’d love to have one in a WMP, Black Oyster Pearl or even Citrus Mod.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

Cool looking drums Bish! Thanks for posting up the pics.

User Info Menu

Here's the babies all ready to gig.....

Signature here

User Info Menu

Ooops, forgot to add the front side pic.

Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by N2Bluz View Post

The duck foot is raised from the front so the weight is on the foot and not the pedal too. You could cut the duck foot and do without the big center hole.

User Info Menu

I wish I had the balls to do this with my 18" Yamaha Maple Custom bass drum... But I don't so I just use that gibaltar one which works.
    But I do like the duckbill better

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I wish I had the balls to do this with my 18" Yamaha Maple Custom bass drum... But I don't so I just use that gibaltar one which works.
    But I do like the duckbill better
    Bring it down. I'll do it. No charge!
    Signature here